Fantastic Mr Fox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic Mr Fox

Stop motion and directed by Wes Anderson (with a lot of his regulars providing voices). Only worry is that they don't quite capture the spirit of the original book. There have been a few decent Roald Dahl adaptations but they always seem to lose something. The character of Willy Wonka was wrong both times, the Witches wasn't as dark as the book and Matilda got it horribly wrong (book : Matilda was a genius who happened to get powers, film : Matilda was a girl with powers who happened to be a genius), Great casting on Trunchbull though.

Whatever happened to the Twits with John Cleese?

i like Wes Anderson movies so im hoping hes gonna deliver something good with this, the images so far look decent, im sure a trailer will pop up soon as well.

Comment

Wes Anderson is my GOD, I cannot wait to see the comic-con footage

Comment

Last summer, we drove down to Devon with the kids, so we bought a box set of Roald Dahl audio books, and they were fantastic to listen to.

Fantastic Mr Fox is a great story, and this looks like it could be good too, although the only reservation I have is that a lot of the cast are american, and having read the book, and listened to the audio book, in my head, all of the characters are very 'english'.

Hope it's good though, and definitely taking my boys to see this.

Also agree, would love to see a 'Twits' film.

Comment

Trailer's out.

Don't have sound here so I'm missing out a bit but the visuals don't really do it for me. Very crudely animated, looks more cheap than charming.

Comment

Just watched that trailer - not convinced if I am honest, to me it has lost the charm of the book.

By the looks of things, they've tried to turn Mr Fox into a Danny Ocean type character (he is voiced by George Clooney).

Even my boys both watched the trailer and said that it's nothing like the book, and looked a bit 'meh'..

Comment

Some people have access to too much money imo...that looks rubz!

Comment

More Americanisation, why couldn't they have given this to a British crew who would know how to keep the charm of the original? Nick Park directing it would be awesome.

I've heard this was largely directed over the phone. It just looks like Robot Chicken with better dolls. I know they're going for a retro stop motion look but it doesn't work.

Comment

Robot Chicken is spot on - it makes it look skanky instead of lovely.

Comment

I dont mind how it looks but since it was the same team animating as ANBC I dont see why it does not look like that, and I think it will turn kids off and I will be sitting in the cinema alone

Comment

To me it looks like something an animation student would produce for his final project. There's no charm or emotion coming through like you get when you have a skilled animator controlling it.

Even Team America managed to get a lot of charm out of a retro, outdated format (although that apparently had lots of talented, experience puppeteers behind the scenes).

Comment

I disagree, that looks ...fantastic!

I was worried about the opposite to you guys - being a big fan of Wes Anderson I thought it would lose what makes a Wes Anderson film. It looks and feels exactly like a Wes Anderson film. Not sure how he does it tbh. Now, this will put kids off as it is definately an acquired taste (some of my friends absolutely hate his films but a few of us are gay for them) but personally I'm looking forward to this.

Comment

Didn't look like Rushmore to me...maybe it looks like the sort of thing Max Fischer would have created - not what I want from a feature length movie on this source material though.

Comment

Its very Wes Anderson, Fox even looks and dresses like him !

Comment

I really wanted to be impressed by this. I'm a huge Wes Anderson fan, a big fan of stop motion (especially over CG) and a fan of the source material.

But this trailer doesn't do it for me at all. The character construction doesn't seem to fit for me - the limbs seem without structure and the faces look like they are trying to make a CG Dreamworks movie in stop motion. And the overall feel that comes with the sets is just cheap.

Yes the clothes look Wes Anderson but that's really the only place I'm feeling his presence.

I was hoping for much more.

Comment

Working...
                              X