Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

No thread on this?

Just seen it. Enjoyed it a lot, there are some great performances from Jim Broadbent and Tom Felton (it'll be a shame if his career ends with HP), Maggie Smith looked incredibly frail this film. The story had me fairly hooked and there was some great humour.

However...

It wasn't in itself a movie, it didn't have a beginning and an end, it was a movie with lots of exposition and 'an unhappy event' to quote Mark Kermode. A lot was explained but there was never an overall running plot to the film. It's perhaps the only HP film that's only enjoyable as part of the series and is very hard to enjoy on it's own.

It also seemed to jump around a lot, the scene where Dumbledore and Harry go to fetch the
    seemed incredibly random, how did he know it was there? I know they had to cut stuff from the book but there were lots of bits where the cast were doing things out of the blue with no "now I must visit Dumbledore to xyz!".

The Half Blood Prince of the title was incredibly underplayed. It's a book with really good notes in it. There are a few fast flashes of pages where you're supposed to read something important but it doesn't direct you to any point so you miss the important information. I didn't know Harry was using a spell he learnt from the book until
    said so. Likewise, he was

made to give the book up. Why? It didn't seem especially bad and it had lots of helpful information

. The book is actually incredibly unimportant in the film and you never feel it matters.

Very enjoyable and I was gripped but it was a real mess and one of the worst examples of a joining film I've seen.

This is a point of view of someone who has never read the books.

I've never read the books either but thought this was by far the best film so far, however I would have agree with all your points. It's very light on plot and the focus is on the relationships so a lot seems to be missing. I was surprised by the performances of the three leads, particularly Radcliff who has finally got some great comic timing (though he still only has three expressions - happy\sad\angry).

I have heard that people who have read the books dislike the film though, as it misses out so many important details.

Comment

I?m a fan of both of the books and the films, having found the books through the movies and I enjoyed this as much as I have the other ones. I?ve accepted the idea that the books will be more detailed and fleshed out and yes; there are explanations for the random stuff that happen in the film.

Watched this in the IMAX in Waterloo where the first 12 minutes are in 3D and the opening

attack on London

looked spectacular in three dimensions. Looking forward to a proper disaster movie in 3D now.

Unlike the other movies the entire feel of the book has been lost in this film and certain scenes lack the intensity of the book but that?s to be expected for a family friendly film. It?s a shame they didn?t think of doing extended DVD versions like the Lord of the Rings movies. But these are small complaints. The film has its own atmosphere, some of the acting like that of Tom Felton and Alan Rickman was on top form and I think it does it?s job of making the audience look forward to the final chapter (or two).

Comment

Its so boring. Can't remember the last time i was this bored in a film. I even went out to get popcorn and go to the toilet.

Comment

It wasn't bad - far better than OOTP.

Comment

think they kinda missed the point in the film with the whole looking at voldemorts past as they missed loads out about the different

hocruxes. How will harry work out what hes got to look for in the next film?

Also the end they missed the

battle between the DA and the death eaters. And the whole harry standing below while dumbledore gets killed was really against his character as well

If i hadnt read the books i would have enjoyed it more i think.

Still a decent film though

Comment

just watched it at the IMAX in glasgow and i personally thought the 3d was pretty awful and non existent, flying through the streets of London was good but the rest was useless

and to be honest with a trailer of Christmas Carol (Jim Carrey) before it which does look absolutely amazing in IMAX 3D and i mean it looked superb - it showed up the poor effects in Potter

Any way i've never read any of the books and it was a decent movie, quite a sombre affair compaired with the others, but decent nevertheless

Comment

I don't quite get the negativity surrounding this, I thought it was a pretty damn good adaptation of a book that is mostly backstory anyway. I was worried about this one. They've got themselves through the last few books by purging anything which isn't essential to the plot, making them very good, but with an awkward disjointedness as they've missed out much of the backstory. They had a challenge with this one because the book is basically a build-up for the final one.

I thought they did a good job of fitting the main elements into the film. I did think that by missing out the bits about Voldermort's past, his

mother and father

, that they removed one of the parts of the book that humanised Voldermort. Also, due to the lack of Quidditch, they had to

change the Harry/Ginny kiss, and generally downplayed the whole thing throughout the movie, thus a lack of breakup at the end

Still, I think it's the best film yet, and completely disagree that it is boring. Hell, it's the first Harry Potter film that my dad has enjoyed.

Comment

As someone who hasn't read any of the books I enjoyed this. Best film yet for me, and a return to form over the slightly dissapointing (but still good) Order of the Phoenix.

Comment

I did really enjoy it and it was a pleasant surprise in one of the worst summers for blockbusters I've experienced but I understand why people (including my dad) wouldn't. It's the only HP film which didn't have an overall plot. All the other films, to a lesser or greater extent can be enjoyed even if you haven't seen any other films in the series, this can't.

it was more like a (very high budget) episode of a mini series than a film.

Comment

Working...
                    X