No announcement yet.

Final Fantasy XIV news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this means I can't play, doesn't it...

Comment

Curse of the laptop GPUs strikes again!

That must've been <1fps

Comment

It didn't look good, that's for sure. But I'm surprised it's quite so bad... I specifically chose this laptop because of it's strong graphics configuration with dedicated (physical) graphics memory on a fast bus... it ran the FFXI benchmark to a level comparable to other games machines.

To be honest if I'm serious about playing I'd already considered buying a PS3 to be a better bet, but recently I've been reading a lot about climate change and causes of it rooted in human consumerism, so the fact that an eighteen month old machine could be incapable of running a game like this does irk me somewhat. I'm not a luddite but there has to be a better reason for plundering finite resources than "some pretty new pixel patterns".

Oh well

Comment

Thats a shame your laptop struggled with it, on the Alpha forums there are alot of people struggling to run it, the only thing I can say is these are not your usual sort of games that are just here for the moment, they need to still hold up in 5 years time, i'm glad they have made use of the newest tech available, I see it as something that is more worth the extra investment than say the next Crysis game which after a week you will be finished with.

I'm holding out to see how my PC handles the Beta version but if its not much improved from Alpha I am going to upgrade my graphics card nearer to the games launch.

Comment

you may find there are hacks to boost the frame rate. Turning off effects, lowering the resolution etc.

Comment

Final Fantasy XIV Online creator and director Hiromichi Tanaka has told Eurogamer that a "closed" Xbox Live blocked the…

Looks like it's dead in the water for 360, for now at least.

Also, beta coming soon and they expect to meet their 2010 release window.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewl View Post
                The only thing I can say is these are not your usual sort of games that are just here for the moment, they need to still hold up in 5 years time, i'm glad they have made use of the newest tech available, I see it as something that is more worth the extra investment than say the next Crysis game which after a week you will be finished with.
                Yes, that is a good point. Guess I have to decide whether I am likely to play it for five years. That's what will determine whether the investment is worthwhile for me. It's possible!

Here are some updates:

Famitsu scans on ZAM - new enemies: http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=22634

Video - Transition for alpha to beta:
                Last edited by Number45; 25-06-2010, 17:46. Reason: Fixed YT code.

Comment

Argh, trying to fix your link and I've broken it even more! Have you got the original YT link to the video? You only need the video 'code' between the tags.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                    Argh, trying to fix your link and I've broken it even more! Have you got the original YT link to the video? You only need the video 'code' between the tags.
                    I think this is the videos main link.

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Awesome, there we go.

Comment

Strange, it worked last time I loaded it. I did modify the post myself to try and fix it once. It's a bit unsettling to log in after a day or two and find someone has changed my post without me knowing about it because of something as banal as a broken link. It hardly seems the most demanding case for moderator intervention. >.>

Comment

Interestingly, this is the second time in the last few months I've been reprimanded for fixing something.

Comment

Square Enix has announced that the PC Collector's Edition version of MMO Final Fantasy XIV will be released in Europe on September 22nd. The standard SKU will

September 22nd for the PC, March next year for the PS3.

&#163;8.99, with an additional &#163;2.10 for additional character slots. Does this mean that the &#163;8.99 allows you to create one character only?

Comment

^ Yup

Japan and NA got packshots... I wanna see the EU packshot... I hope we don't get gimped with a paperback book like Batman and Tekken 6 -_-

Comment

The Collector's Edition is so getting pre-ordered.

Onion Helm looks awesome.

&#163;2.10 for an extra character is pretty steep. Fingers crossed the lack of "PS2 limitations" means we don't need mules in this.

EDIT -Ah there may be seperate "retainers" who act as mules.

Each account is eligible for one free retainer (a non-playable character that maintains item sales and storage when users are logged out) with each additional retainer costing &#163;0.70 (€1.00).
                                Slightly more reasonable.

Still give it a couple of years and no doubt they will be blaming "PS3 limitations" whenever they can't be bothered fixing something.
                                Last edited by C'; 30-06-2010, 19:06.

Comment

Working...
                                X