No announcement yet.

Final Fantasy XIV news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers Rush. Yes, it's an AMD Phenom II X4 940 (overclocked to 3.6gig). Pretty excited as it's the first ground up build i've done in over 10years. Pretty sure i'll be knocking on Scan's door if all goes well in the morning.

Nvida 896MB XFX GTX 260 (216 cores) GPU.
    Corsair 8GB DDR2 1066 RAM (DDR3 stuff is beyond my budget for now)
    1TB Hitachi 7200rpm SATA 3GB/PS HDD.

Hopefully that level of build should run XIV with no issues.

Comment

^If it doesn't, we're all screwed.

Comment

Sounds wicked. My self-build box is back in the UK atm, burning money through depreciation and storage costs -.- but it weighs a tonne so I'll probably dispose of it some time and get a ps3 over here to play.

When I put that together I was expecting to have trouble with thermal paste, but it was already stuck where it needed to be (on the heatsync i think) - you just peeled the cover off and went for it. The heatsync was built for that processor as well (Intel).

Comment

Thats a sweet rig! Thats more than wicked! That setup should last about 3-5 years! Where'd you get most of yer parts from?

Comment

Haha cheers, the parts are all from Scan in Bolton, under ?600 easy. Had a shop around and the money saved by doing a self build is staggering. Sadly no student loan today though.

Comment

New news from Eorzeapedia via Zam...
              • Developers plan to have FFXIV support Windows 7, 64-bit systems, multicore processors and are trying to plan for how technology will have evolved by the game's release in 2010.
              • Beta testing will begin for Windows PCs only. They will be conducted as focus groups that last around 3-4 hours at a time. This will be to iron out every little detail of the game utilizing player feedback. The next stage will be weekly tests that last a full 24 hours. After this, they will begin to stress test the servers by adding people in increments - they will start at 10,000 and double the amount for each subsequent test. Finally, after expanding the pool of testers to their liking, a full open beta will be initiated.

Comment

Originally posted by vwilsonuk View Post
                New news from Eorzeapedia via Zam...
                • Developers plan to have FFXIV support Windows 7, 64-bit systems, multicore processors and are trying to plan for how technology will have evolved by the game's release in 2010.
                Me likey this bit

Comment

Originally posted by vwilsonuk View Post
                  Finally, after expanding the pool of testers to their liking, a full open beta will be initiated.[/LIST]

I like this bit, if they handle it like the 360 beta it was well good! Free for 3 months then transfer to a retail server.

Just hope i can get on it.

Comment

Originally posted by djtickle View Post
                    I like this bit, if they handle it like the 360 beta it was well good! Free for 3 months then transfer to a retail server.
                    That does sound good. Elsewhere in the article they say the betas will be just for windows machines to start off with, which is a bit frustrating for me.

Comment

I would be very surprised if the beta follows the same rules of the 360 beta. Allowing people to carry over their characters to the existing servers wasn't a cause for any balance issues as we already had thousands of people at the level cap already.

I would imagine that for a new game launch they will want everyone to be at the same level on day one (especially if the open beta is Windows users only which would be a massive disadvantage to PS3 players).

Comment

Haven't had time to check the FFXIV sites for a while but I've taken a look today, and it seems like a real slow trickle of information now the autumn game shows have passed. Some commentators are even suggesting an end-2010 launch date Would give me more time to improve my nihongo but after all the recent promotion and inclusion in games magazines monthly it seems odd that they'd string it out for a whole year.

Am also hoping they live up to their promises about making this game more flexible in terms of time demands; little and often is ok, but I don't really want to get sucked into a game that consumes my life again.

In terms of hardware, since FFXI was so much stronger on PC than consoles am toying with getting a copy of Windows 7 for my year old "big" laptop now instead of a PS3, as I figure that'll be cheaper. But if it doesn't come out for another year I may have to upgrade, which would count against it

Frustrating. Still... guess I'll have plenty of time to practice drawing with all the artwork and stills that are being released! How about you guys? What are your hopes/perspectives on this new game hype-machine...

V

Comment

^You shouldn't need Windows 7 for FFXIV, and it's not likely to give any performance benefit.

EDIT - Reading your earlier post, I wonder what they mean by 'Windows 7 support'. It's unlikely they'll bother with a 64-bit executable. It could end up being DX10/11 only, but that seems unlikely.

Comment

According to a recent Shon Jump in Japan Final Fantasy XIII will contain a PS3 beta code for Final Fantasy XIV. There are photos online of the magazine announcement, I can't link to magazine photos/scans but if you copy what's quoted below and search for it on Google it's easy enough to find them.
                            5 Responses to “FFXIII to include FFXIV beta code; Hope’s summon, Chocobos in leaked Jump scans”

Comment

You shouldn't need Windows 7 for FFXIV, and it's not likely to give any performance benefit.
                              Well that'd be good news... the hardware is my biggest worry really, the budget for everything is very, very small at the moment.

According to a recent Shon Jump in Japan Final Fantasy XIII will contain a PS3 beta code for Final Fantasy XIV
                              Ah yes, sorry should've mentioned that... here's the scans.

Also there's some info in a January mag about the fighting classes (though I'm not sure if it adds anything beyond the official site atm).

Really need to learn some game vocab soon so I can translate the Japanese materials.

V

Comment

Nice info hic, 2nd link doesn work for me

Comment

Working...
                                X