No announcement yet.

Final Fantasy XIV news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with FFXIV was it's initial reception, the game (at launch) was so awful it lost thousands of people within about 2 weeks. That's the kind of thing you just can't recover from, the new team and director have been working tirelessly to put things right, but no one simply cares anymore. The beta was around 12 months back now? Content I don't think anything has really been added? I could be wrong on that. It's still free to play too, so It'll probably lose even more people once that changes, I dread to think of the amount of money that games development is costing. It does however look amazing, and if you've invested money in a high end PC, you'll get something out of it. I wouldn't say It was bad anymore, It's just abit boring since you end up playing solo most of the time and there's nothing to really aim for, even if you did grind to 50, what then?

There's was a JP list of all FFXI updates and fixes somewhere, does anyone still have that, would be interesting to compare the first 12 months.

Comment

I've never known a game to recover from this kind of bad launch. The remarkable thing is I've also never seen an MMO launch with so few engine based bugs. It's just elements of the game design and content which were utterly broken.

I had exactly 3 (fairly long) sessions on the game before giving up. 1st session I did the introduction, was pretty impressed, then I wandered around the city starting the meat of the game... I got a crafting quest where I was told to go to an NPC with no directions. Took me half an hour to find it (had to look it up in the end), I then was vaguely told to go to a camp to do a guildleve thingy, took me another half an hour just to find the exit to the city. Did a single quest, turned it off.

Second session I was doing leves and grinding. Was enjoying it a fair bit until I'd done all the leves I had available at which boredom set in.

Third session I tried doing proper crafting. It was long, boring, hard to understand and unrewarding. After struggling with it for an hour I decided enough was enough. Haven't played the game since.

Comment

I'm sure XIV will recover with time, although it sure as hell has it's work cut out for it, look at star wars galaxies.

Probably the other largest MMO travesty I've certainly known of which was the introduction of the New Game Experience. A person (myself included) would devote pretty much all the game time since launch trying to unlock the Jedi profession, which most likely was added with a content update a year later without telling anyone. You'd then spend days on end leveling up professions you hated, simply because a holocron (that was as rare to find as ****ing Hen's teeth told you to. After you'd managed about 5 of those it would unlock the profession for you.

The NGE update basically took all that and ****ted it out all over you by making Jedi a starter profession and culling about 90% of the other professions, forcing tens of thousands, possibly even more to quit. Imagine if FFXI started to suddenly take certain jobs out of the game, yeah that **** doesn't happen.

Comment

Right now its content that is the issue, there has been almost zero new content since launch, aside from a few crap starter quests which are almost exactly the same as leves.

It was dissapointing to start with that the game had unfinished zones, Coerthas is pointless, no reason to go there at all, 4th city unfinished and unavailable which leaves you with three themed zones which get boring very quick, I mean there is nowhere to go, nowhere to explore of any worth past the initial three zones, also why they made them so bloody huge I don't know, in FFXI you didn't stay in one place that long, there was always a new zone a few leves down the line keeping things somewhat fresh.

I really do think they tried to make it different to ffxi, not a bad thing really but everything they did different ended up being worse and not better, which annoyed alot of players, i'm all for the game being different so long as its actually an improvement.

Only way I'd log back on would be if they did a major update including all the current zones being completed, 4th city, airships, chocobos and a decent number of new areas to go to, but for all I know this could still be another year away so no point playing until then.

Comment

So yeah, I'm thinking about getting a laptop for Starcraft II primarily, however I'd like to start this perhaps in the hope that it'll one day kick off properly. I'd be playing extremely casually so I figure if I start early I can maintain my progress steadily.

Would an Alienware M11x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz, 1024MB NVIDIA GT335M, Intel Core i7 run this perfectly?

Comment

That laptop should be fine, though I don't know how that graphics card compares with their mainstream ones, if its near the 460 it should be fine.

Comment

Working...
              X