Roller Coasters, Rides and Theme Parks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread resurrection, as requested by QualityStreet

My top 5, in no particular order as it's just too difficult to decide.

Dodonpa (at Fuji Q Highland, launch ride like Kingda Ka, but slightly slower)
    Eejanaika (at Fuji Q Highland, the 'sequel' to X at Magic Mountain. An improved version with a better layout and a smoother ride)
    Batman (at Magic Mountain)
    Superman (at Warner MovieWorld near Madrid, which was built by Six Flags)
    Big Thunder Mountain (at Disney, for nostalgic reasons )

I really want to go to Great Adventure so I can ride Kingda Ka. I'm not sure if it's still the fastest one in the world though.
    Last edited by wakka; 17-01-2014, 13:33.

Comment

Cheers, Wakka!

Kingda Ka (128mph) has been beaten by Formula Rossa (149.1mph) at Ferrari World Abu Dhabi. http://rcdb.com/rhr.htm

However, it's still the tallest ride in the world. I loved Great Adventure as it wasn't all about the one ride, there were loads of them better than anything in the UK. The ride d?cor isn't as good as Disney or Universal, but it doesn't matter when there are so many great rides.

Comment

No one can touch Disney or Universal for theming really.

Formula Rossa looks interesting, but the rest of the park looks naff. There's just one other coaster and some kind of driving simulator thing.

Comment

Ha, yeah, I've been distracted by searches of Ferrari World reviews!

The theme sits somewhere between Ferrari adverts and queues. The other rides seem an anti-climax.

Comment

This is as good a thread as any!

20TH CENTURY FOX THEME PARK IN DUBAI WILL INCLUDE SIMPSONS, ALIENS, PREDATOR AND MORE

"Fox has licensed a branded theme park to be built in Dubai, called 20th Century Fox World.

Planned attractions include ones themed after Planet of the Apes, Aliens, Predator, The Simpsons, Titanic, and Sons of Anarchy, alongside more kid-friendly inclusions like Ice Age, Rio, and Night at the Museum. The announcement promises that the rides will tell "new stories based on Fox film and television."

Naturally, the theme park will also feature shops, restaurants, and the first themed resort hotel centered on Fox properties.

It's set to open in 2018. This will be the second Fox theme park to open, as one is under construction in Malaysia. The deal with Al Ahli Holding Group also allows for up to three more Fox resorts in areas outside Dubai.

It should be noted that Fox not having their own stateside theme park led them to licensing Simpsons attractions to Universal Studios and the upcoming Pandora: The World of Avatar at Disney World."

Okay, everyone remember we parked in the Itchy car lot.

Last edited by QualityChimp; 05-11-2015, 11:20. Reason: photo

Comment

Great news - really interested to see how these Fox parks turn out. I was always disappointed they never built the planned Universal Studios Dubai, as it would have been by far the closest one to the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                I was always disappointed they never built the planned Universal Studios Dubai, as it would have been by far the closest one to the UK.
                Isn't Florida about 600 miles closer to the UK than Dubai?!

Comment

No, Dubai is way closer I think.

Comment

I don't think so no. It only takes about 6 hours to fly to Dubai and 9 to 10 hours to get to Florida iirc. It's also cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                      I love watching and learning about rollercoasters even if I'm too scared to go on the majority. Love going on 'dark rides' though, bit annoying how little focus most theme parks put on these rides. Hex in Alton Towers is great but the focus is usually on big rollercoasters for new rides.
                      Just want to say, I think Hex is Alton Towers' strongest ride.

Comment

The Big One was great until they nerfed it because some weak bitches got all uppity over some accident.

I'm not contributing to the thread other than that. I've never been to any theme parks in the US, I've never been to Japan, and I've not been to Alton Towers in over ten years.

Comment

There's no mention of any nerfing on the wiki page, what happened? I think I last went to Blackpool in 1999/2000, so probably before it was changed.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                            The Big One was great until they nerfed it because some weak bitches got all uppity over some accident.

I'm not contributing to the thread other than that. I've never been to any theme parks in the US, I've never been to Japan, and I've not been to Alton Towers in over ten years.
                            I was surprised you'd not been to any parks in Singapore, [MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION], then did a search and there were only five in the list and four of them are closed! Universal Studios is the only one left! Some good rides there though, it looks like.

I always thought Florida was nearer, so maybe I'll "pop" to 20th Century Fox Land and Ferrari World one day...

The latter park has the fastest coaster (at present) and they're building a new coaster, Flying Aces, that'll have the steepest steel drop and tallest loop at 170ft. That's roughly a quarter of the height of the HSBC tower in Canary Wharf!

"Already boasting the world’s fastest roller coaster, Ferrari World Abu Dhabi is planning to become home to the world’s steepest steel rollercoaster featuring a starting hill inclined by 51 degrees and the world’s tallest loop of 52m (170ft). Named “Flying Aces”, the new roller coaster experience is inspired by Italy’s ‘ace of aces’ Count Francesco Baracca, a famous Italian aviator of the 1900’s whose legendary Prancing Horse emblem was inherited by Enzo Ferrari. The bi-plane themed coaster is expected to attract thrill seekers from around the world to its gravity-defying loops and swoops.

Comment

Hard to pin what makes me enjoy a coaster. I enjoy the one at California Adventure Park at Disneyland with the boost start and loop in Mickeys head but the Blackpool Big One always bored me. I think it's because it relies on optical illusion. It's tall but the drops are short and slow.

Comment

Haven't been on it for years and years, but I was a massive fan of The Flying Fish at Thorpe Park.

Comment

Working...
                                X