Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    what tipped you over the edge?
    Marriage and kids! the ultimate roller coaster!

Comment

RideWorld: Theme Parks

An expansion really on the long running roller coaster thread as there are many beloved rides that don't fall under this category. Share your favourite park rides as well as those you know of and want to try such as:

Disneyland Shanghai - Tron

Last edited by Neon Ignition; 16-04-2019, 08:13.

Comment

Oh, great idea for a thread!

I will do a proper post on my favourite rides later.

I have been on Tron in Shanghai and it is absolutely sick. One of the best rides anywhere.

Comment

Ah man, could this not just be in the coaster thread?

In other news:
          I'm going to Florida next year and I'm silly-excited.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          I have been on Tron in Shanghai and it is absolutely sick. One of the best rides anywhere.
          Sorry that it made you feel sick...

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            Ah man, could this not just be in the coaster thread?

In other news:
            I'm going to Florida next year and I'm silly-excited.

Sorry that it made you feel sick...
            You’re such a dad QC

Comment

Hi, are you World of Theme Parks?

World of theme parks!? WORLD OF THEME PARKS!!??? F Off Mate. F'ing World of Theme Parks. We're Theme Park World!!!

Comment

The trouble with the coaster thread is it isn't suited for beasts such as this:

It's A Small World

It's like crack this ride. If you watch any video about bad rides, Small World meets nearly all the criteria and yet it stands like a monument in Disney after 53 years of defiance and despite featuring no extreme ride elements and hosting a deeply repetitive song I absolutely adore it and clearly so do many given its stubborn refusal to fade away.

Splash Mountain

Bizarrely sporting a theming for a film that Disney otherwise tries to hush away, Splash Mountain is a thing of beauty. The ride is a good length with the theming done well, telling a bit of a tale as you pass through before the final big drop.

Neither coasters!

Comment

Right, I have merged the threads for 3 reasons:

1. Roller coasters and rides are close enough to be in the same thread.
                  2. What about hybrid rides like The Mummy - both coaster and ride.
                  3. You've put the Small World theme in my head just by looking at the thumbnail and I can't stop it.

Comment

Where do I put the fountain display ride from Shanghai Disney?
                    I still vote the thread title needs updating

Comment

Happy to concede a title change.
                      What would you like?
                      Top 5 Roller Coasters and theme park ride universe? (T5RC&TPRU)

Comment

Probably something that covers Theme Parks in total, if it's all falling under one thread then we can include anything such as new park openings, expansions, the shows they do with people talking about their experiences etc a bit like happens in the Arcades thread

Comment

Yeah, not a problem. Makes sense. "Roller Coasters, Rides and Theme Parks!" it is.

As a Christmas present, we've got annual passes to Drayton Manor Park and Zoo, which is fairly close to us.
                          We'll probably take the kids on their birthdays and then try and visit a few random times over the year, but it includes the fireworks and Christmas events.

It's not a massive park, but they're trying to keep updating rides all the time.

Obviously, one of their major features is Thomas Land, which my daughter likes, so happy times!

Comment

Many happy memories of Drayton Manor here [MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION]

The first 'proper' roller coaster I ever went on was the Klondike there. Haven't been for many, many years now, but we went at least once a year when I was a kid.

I don't think Thomas Land was even a thing there then, or if it was it was much smaller than it is now. Looking at the website, it seems to dominate a lot of the park these days - which probably makes sense.

Looking at the website, the Klondike mine train seems to be gone! And The Crypt! I loved The Crypt! It was a sort of fast paced ghost train.

Comment

Ha, awesome!

My faves from the past include the Snake Ride (just a tractor pulling some seats) and the Jungle Cruise.

It's a small, family-run park that can't really compete with Alton Towers, so does its own thing.
                              There are a handful of fun rides, but nothing astonishing. Always have a fun day there with the kids, though.
                              Shockwave was Europe's first stand-up roller coaster, Ben 10 (rebranded as somethign else now) has a great launch and there's a bonkers one that starts you upside down.

Scariest ride there, and probably scariest I've been on, is Apocalypse, which is a drop-tower.
                              There are two sit-down and stand-up sides and one stand-up, floorless side, which, when it drops you, feels like you've jumped off a building and your stomach is on your mouth. Terrifying!

It looks like they were taking out the Golden Nuggets ride, which was an awesome minecart ride that had you shooting targets in a Wild West themed environment. Things always got competitive with the scores!

Building bespoke megacoasters is a bit beyond their budget, so Thomas has been a real win for them.
                              There is a load of really good theming and Thomas-based rides that the kids love, plus Thomas pulls into the station and turns around whilst the Fat Controller and staff sing happy songs and they fire fake snow.

It's not why I'd go to a theme park, but the kids love it and that's the important bit!

I'll update when I've been again.

Comment

Nice little bit of info I had no idea about but discovered via an episode of Defunctland.

Everybody knows the pop culture wide term Ghost Train, Blackpool Please Beach even has a ride called exactly that. What I didn't know is that that ride is the origin of the term as we know it, the original Ghost Train that's still in operation

Comment

Working...
                                X