Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insane - so badly want to go

Comment

Disney unveils what looks like real working lightsabers for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge during the Special Look Inside Disney Parks virtual event.

Disney are also looking close to bringing useable lightsabers to their parks

Comment

Another sign of the amazing level of influence that Universal's Harry Potter stuff has had on Disney - it sounds similar to the usable wands at the Florida resort. Hogsmead and Diagon Alley gave Disney such a massive kick up the arse.

And Super Nintendo World looks SO good too. Really keen to get to that. Universal have been on such a roll for the past few years.
        Last edited by wakka; 13-04-2021, 09:29.

Comment

Found this video on how the Jaws ride worked fascinating:

Comment

Stuff like that is what had me and the missus disappearing down the Defunctland video rabbit hole

Comment

The same channel have some more videos but on rides I've not been on yet.
              I'm going to go to Potter World eventually, and I don't really want to know how the magic work, if I'm honest.

That's why Defunctland and this one on the closed Jaws ride are great to watch.
              I found the evolution of the ride fascinating too, with an original plan to have a massive submerged cannon that blasts chunks of exploded shark everywhere!

YouTube then suggested this video...

Then went down my own rabbit hole...
              (That Flying Kiss Ride at 6:58 - :O )

Comment

Comment

That looks moderately interesting. But I tried watching the series they did on Imagineers, and it was just such a hagiography that it was simply boring. Just a long ‘hey, look how great we are’. I’m sure this will be the same.

Comment

Disney has finally expanded on its plans to overhaul Splash Mountain to remove its Song of the South theming and change it to The Princess and the Frog. The theming will be based on Tiana inviting guests to join her on an adventure through the bayou via an advanced animatronic at the start of the ride before passing through Orleans, the Mardi Gras and other recognisable locations from the film. The rides core track layout will remain largely the same however, not too surprising given the enduring popularity of the ride.

Comment

A statement from the park said four passengers had reported broken bones. All passengers had "significant injuries", including a cervical fracture and spine fracture.

The world's fastest roller coaster that travels at the break neck speed of 0-112mph in 1.5 seconds has been indefinitely taken offline as it emerges it... um, breaks necks

Comment

Blimey.

I rode that, in 2008 (I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who's had the pleasure). I was in the park on my own, and the queue was more than three hours long - due in part to the fact that the ride broke down at one point.

There was an announcement, which obviously I couldn't understand, and everyone in the queue around me sort of tutted and eye rolled, then sat down on the ground and started taking out packed lunches and thermoses! It was all terribly civilised.

A man nearby, probably noticing my confusion, kindly explained to me in very broken English that the ride wasn't working and that they were repairing it. I didn't have a packed lunch, unfortunately, so passed the time playing a newly purchased copy of Metal Slug 7. I was there to ride only this and two other rides, so I was committed, come what may.

When I finally reached the front of the queue, where the trains were boarding, I probably looked pretty nervous. A stranger exiting on the other side of the track saw me, and, perhaps noticing, grinned and gave me the thumbs up.

It's a pretty goddamn terrific ride. The train draws slowly into a dark tunnel, then there's a loud countdown from 10 (which, obviously, I couldn't understand), then you're launched out of the tunnel and up then down a vertical slope at 112mph. It's a serious rush and I loved it. It's significantly faster than the UK's launch coasters (Stealth at Thorpe Park only gets to 80mph, and Rita at Alton Towers a puny 65mph).

Obviously it's terrible that it's been injuring people in that way. I would think it's a maintenance issue as it's a very old ride now, and all of the injuries occurred within a short span of time.

One geeky note to add though is that it's not actually the world's fastest roller coaster - that's Formula Rossa at Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi, which gets to 149mph. Its acceleration to reach that point is much slower than Dodonpa though.
                        Last edited by wakka; 25-08-2021, 09:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                          https://news.sky.com/story/japan-112...bones-12389818
                          The world's fastest roller coaster that travels at the break neck speed of 0-112mph in 1.5 seconds has been indefinitely taken offline as it emerges it... um, breaks necks
                          Holy **** :| @Blobcat and I have been on this. It was pretty intense!

IIRC there were 2 major roller-coasters. It was a quiet day, because the weather was pretty bad.

Strongest memory is the Gundam Crisis attraction, which had a 1:1 scale Gundam in an aircraft hangar (before they built the statues).
                          Last edited by Asura; 25-08-2021, 11:31.

Comment

I screamed a lot on that ride and my eyes watered horizontal to my face.

Comment

The other two big rides when I went were Fujiyama (which has an extremely tall lift hill) and Eejanaika (which uses cars which spin 360 degrees, turning you upside down independent of the track).

It's a pretty crappy park in terms of vibe, more Thorpe than Disneyland, but those three rides were great.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                                It's a pretty crappy park in terms of vibe, more Thorpe than Disneyland, but those three rides were great.
                                Yeah, actually I'd say this too. Fewer chavs than Thorpe Park but a similar vibe, in that the only real "theme" of the theme park is "theme park rides".

But the rides themselves were good, so it was worth the trip. I just wouldn't suggest people travel internationally to visit.

Comment

Working...
                                X