Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayonetta [PS3/360]

Upon loading the game, you're greeted with and update for firmware 3.01
    The game boots up whichever language your PS3 is set to it seems, as everything is defaulted in English.

Now, onto the game ladies and gentlemen...

As for comparisons sake,i don't have the Xbox 360 version available to compare, since that's region locked. So i wouldn't be able to give you guys the direct comparision between both formats on terms of framerates/ graphical fidelity etc.
    From the general consensus of those that've played both, is that there are framerate dips on both formats, though the PS3 suffers a little bit more. Also the textures/ colours just look a little better on the Xbox 360

I digress...

During the first few scenes, it pop-references Viewtiful Joe/ Devil May Cry, and even has a familiar OutRun theme tune. Also Rodin (your shop vendor) off hand, name-checks a wily old merchant from Resident Evil 4. Quite a few tongue in cheek Capcom self referencing at hand ;]
    As with all Capcom-esque action games, the cutscenes are full of camp lines married with a ballet of nicely choreographed action. They always out-trump themselves everytime, dating back from the original Devil May Cry/ Viewtiful Joe's/ God Hand et al. They use a mix of standard cutscenes, and these filmic type ones (where you see the film reel borders top & bottom of the screen) where it uses static character models, using very little motion. Very nice.

There are so many neat little graphical and animation touches, which give Bayonetta a good deal of personality and charm.
    Also the moveset is vast, and it helps, that between stages (while on the loading screen) you can practice Bayo's moveset, as some are quite tricky to get the timing down. Especially as most battles, there is quite a lot of pyrotechnics/ graphical flourishes happening to keep a track of where Bayo is at with her animations. Plus it doesn't help that she always keeps distracting me, as she bares (well near) all when you've hit a good combo ;]

But yeah, she's quite impressively animated.

The game employs a similar menu system to Devil May Cry 4/ Resident Evil 5 (between stages) where you can upgrade your arsenal/ moveset, plus the fact you can select which stages you want to tackle, once beaten of course. And due to the price of a few things in the 'Gates of Hell' store, i'm going to have to farm a few of the early stages to get some extra movesets and vitality enhancers.
    Speaking of which, the items within the store follow the tried and tested, where you find extra weapons, moves, items which you've seen in similar Capcom action games.

As for the first few hours, it's a veritable mash of camp lines mixed with premium action, that the teams previous work on Capcom titles delivers to the fullest. Hopefully it continues!

Non stop climax action?
    oh yes...
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Sounds promising but its not a capcom game though is it? I know they used to work there but its under the independent developer Platinum now isn't it?

Comment

And Sega have done the PS3 version.

Comment

Originally posted by doodledude View Post
        Sounds promising but its not a capcom game though is it? I know they used to work there but its under the independent developer Platinum now isn't it?
        Aye, Freudian slip there, that's what i meant.

Just that it oozes some of the teams past involvement which the previous Capcom franchises.

Comment

360 is the one to go for , see comparison here

Comment

I'm eagerly anticipating my copy, should arrive early next week. I bloody love the demo, crappy Ps3 version or not.

It all sounds good, this game is probably going to deliver. I already love DMC and I expect this to at least rival it.
            Last edited by saturn-gamer; 30-10-2009, 23:36.

Comment

Originally posted by jim g View Post
              360 is the one to go for , see comparison here

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/digi...-demo-showdown
              Wow, the PS3 version really does look like arse next to the 360.

Comment

Got my 360 copy and XCM Cross fire adaptor. 360 version does seem quite far ahead of the PS3 one which is super annoying and its ended up costing me double for the game (game doesnt seem right on a 360 pad).

Positives are its great fun and has a fantastic combat engine. I can see this one being really rewarding the more you get into it, level design so far (3 missions or so in) has been quite good, but im not sure its as good as DMC1's (I still think this one had the best level design of the 4).

Negatives, well I really hate the design of the characters, infact in terms of presentation its a bit lacking. The cutscenes are too long and over stylised and im constantly just itching to skip the scenes to get back into the combat.

On the whole, so far so good.

PS: If anyone needs a heads up the 360 JPN version is 100% english.

Comment

It's a shame the PS3 version doesn't have the option for an install, as it's quite irksome that there's quite a lot of loading, which might've been streamlined due to an install. Also annoying is the loading when either pausing, or going into your inventory.
                  It especially looks ropey when you quit a cutscene (one particular one springs to mind) where once i've skipped the scene, you can see the game place the assets in place (bayonetta model/ stage background details) and it pauses for quite a few seconds, before the rest of the assets get put in place (boss model for instance) before the game starts.

Also, during chapter IV or V (the coliseum i think) is where i've probably seen the worst framerate hitches/ screen tearing. That's just walking around the environment, and not in combat.
                  Even during one particular fight in chapter VII i thought i activated 'witch time' because it was moving like treacle whilst Bayo was gunning/ slashing her way through angels.

Niggling issues about the load times and framerates aside, i'm really enjoying the stylishness of it all, wise.
                  I agree about the level design so far. It doesn't have the gothic charm of the original Devil May Cry castle and grounds. It does seem like some generic DMC4 inspired cityscapes and wastelands.

Seems to me (apart from Japan) this has gone under the radar for a lot of people. Unless it's just the plain fact that the juggernaut that is Modern Warfare 2 will consume all and Q1 2010 release doesn't help. Not even mentioning the quality of games that have been released already.

Who can not resist a breakdancing witch, with pistols strapped to her heels kicking ass!

Comment

What's the difficulty like?
                    What difficulties can you choose from at the start?

I've played the demo a few times now and find normall quite straightforward.

Comment

The only diffuculties available at start are:

Very Easy (automatic)
                      Easy (automatic)
                      Normal

Once complete, you can then choose Hard.
                      Once that's completed, then 'non stop climax' mode is available. Which is similar to Dante Must Die, if you will. In that, you have no 'witch time' and generally the angels will deal more damage to you.

Normal can be a bit troublesome later on, if you're spam happy like me, and can't get the witch timing right. (as i'm on chapter 14 of 16)

Though quite frankly, chapter #7 boss, is just great. And the ending cutscene for it is just pure ^o^ couldn't stop sniggering afterwards.

Comment

Where did you ps3 chaps order from?

Comment

Sounds good. This and Uncharted for X-mas please

Comment

Originally posted by Largo View Post
                            Where did you ps3 chaps order from?
                            I ordered mine from gamechoiceclub

Right, i should explain a little on the fundamentals, and game structure for those interested.

The basic's to begin with.
                            You have the standard Energy bar and Magic bar slots, both of which can be upgraded via Rodin's 'Gates of Hell' store and by beating certain challenges.
                            Moves are assigned to:
                            • Square - shoot pistols
                            • Triangle - punch
                            • Circle - kick
                            • L1 - taunt
                            • R1- lock-on aim
                            • R2 - dodge

Taunting the foe will naturally aggro them, and give you a combo multiplier.
                            Dodging an attack successfully will initiate 'Witch Time' where in that, time slowed slowed down for a few seconds for the enemy, whilst you can move at normal speed. A successful 'Witch Time' activation will trigger a combo multiplier within that period.

As for game progression, anyone familiar with the 'Devil May Cry' series will know how this works.
                            There's set Chapters, and within these chapters (Verses) which are set battles with minor Angel foes, with the last Verse more than likely the End boss.
                            Note however, there are secret Verses, where you will have to either:
                            • Back track through a small portion of the stage to initiate the skirmish, or...
                            • Find secret 'Alfheim' (similar to the secret blue orb challenges in DMC) portals which you'll have to beat under certain conditions. Say for example, you have to use 'Witch Time' only to beat enemies. Or that you have x7 punches and x7 kick attempts to beat this enemy.

The individual Verses are graded from:
                            • Stone (lowest bum grade)
                            • Bronze
                            • Silver
                            • Gold
                            • Platinum
                            • Pure Platinum (top dog)

The parameters you're graded on are:
                            • Combos
                            • Time
                            • Damage taken

I've had quite a few Pure Platinums, but never managed to fully complete a chapter with Pure Platinums as of yet.
                            That's essentially is how Bayonetta is played out, and scored on.

For combos (and there's a lot of them) you have slight variants depending which weapon you're weilding at the time. Your defaulted weapons are the 'Scarborough Fair' (pistols) and they can be equipped on both hands and feet, where the 'Shubara' (katana) can only be equipped on your hands only.
                            Along with standard weapon attacks, there's 'Wicked Weave' attacks, which is just a fancy name for Bayonetta summoning her hair to attack. They are triggered (usually) at the end of a combo string.
                            e.g.
                            • P, K, P (last punch being the Wicked Weave strike)
                            • or P, P, K, K (Wicked Weave strike) then K (another Wicked Weave strike)

There are moves that can be purchased at Rodin's 'Gates of Hell' store that can initiate the Wicked Weave strike from the outset. However, in doing so will expend a few slots of your magic in the process.
                            Also, each individual strike within the combo string can be charged up. Which in turn, leads to more powerful hits.

Now that i've completed the main game, i could safely say, that the sequences towards the ending is pure action-adrenalin-inducing. And for a long time, the boss battles are really a joy to play (which is no suprise, considering it's from the the mind of Hideki Kamiya) as i don't usually like boss battles.

Team Little Angels/ Platinum games have done proud.

Comment

So the technical limitations are easily overlooked?

Comment

Working...
                              X