Bayonetta [PS3/360]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
    They really don't have a clue, and neither does anyone who gave 2 a 10/10. It's pretty clear that none of them made that breakthrough with the first game as there is no breakthrough to Bayonetta 2. You build meter (which is inconsistent with its values) and then expend it with Umbran Climax to mash everything out of the way. The time quota for Pure Platinum is very strict and actually enforces this style of play. If you don't hit your "I WIN!" function then you don't get the medal. There's no use for the torture attacks anymore because the enemy weapons (which are only dropped after a torture attack) are all garbage and are a detriment to your score and damage output instead of the opposite.

You're continually punished for trying to play with any composure. Enemies combo break which is obscene, once you've exposed their signpost they should be yours for the taking - that's how these games work. Speaking of composure the parrying system is also pretty useless, and no longer gives any big advantage for last-ditch parries like in the first game (you'd get a counter headbutt and roughly a x1.5 Witch Time duration) now it's just the same old flat Witch Time that a regular dodge would net you, so why bother at all? Why put yourself at risk for no reward? Why use a slot on that item that costs 200k halos? WTF?

Best of all you can even spam lollipops (consumables) to make yourself invincible and refill your magic to ensure you've got Umbran Climax going indefinitely to ensure that Pure Platinum rank. Talk about a slap in the face... Do that on the first game and you're presented with a Stone award.

It could have been awesome, too. Umbran Climax could have been something you save in order to juggle bosses and mini-bosses with. It kind of creeps towards that but it doesn't really work, you just lock them in ground-stun instead (with dodgy animation to boot).

It's like they were drunk when they made the second game.
    Fully agree. I just don't understand the acclaim for the second game at all.

You don't need to be a high level player to appreciate this, either. I love Bayonetta, but I suck at it. I never get Pure Platinum or anything close. But when I played Bayo 2 it was obvious to me that it was a much simpler, much weaker game.

The graphics were pretty nice though, I guess.
    Last edited by wakka; 05-03-2018, 23:49.

Comment

Bayo 2 seems to be an easier, more fluid, more forgiving experience.

It is still enjoyable for me though. In face I actually think it will improve my skills in Bayo 1. Because the health and enemies are more forgiving I can more space to breath and practice combos / enemy management that I wouldn't be able to do in Bayo 1 because I'm usually hanging on by a thread with the basis P,K,P attack.

It is prettier as well...

Comment

Loving this on Switch. Properly hooked on the original's The Lost Chapter / Angel Slayer all over again.

Comment

This might get missed in the retro thread, so dropping it in here.

Comment

Hahaha, that's amazing. Man, this game.

Also: just clicked on the breakdown of votes in this thread. Some of you need to have a word with yourselves.

Comment

I looked at the voting and immediately picture Dave's view of Supergoal being

Comment

This might get missed in the retro thread, so dropping it in here.

Reminds me of the very first time I played this game...

LOL!

Comment

Anybody on here able to confirm if the JPN Switch versions of Bayonetta 1 and 2 have English language options?

Comment

Something slightly less filthy:

Trying to record a segment of Chapter II. The Alfheim where the Ardors first appear (red and gold armoured dudes). I just keep blowing my cool when astonishing things happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                      Anybody on here able to confirm if the JPN Switch versions of Bayonetta 1 and 2 have English language options?
                      I'd hazard a guess at no, but could be wrong of course. It's definitely something you want in English. Not so much for the story perhaps, but definitely for the menus and accessories/weapons flavour text. There are some wonderful details throughout.

Comment

I'd hazard a guess at no, but could be wrong of course. It's definitely something you want in English. Not so much for the story perhaps, but definitely for the menus and accessories/weapons flavour text. There are some wonderful details throughout.
                        All well and good, but buying Bayonetta on the Switch is a non-starter while this part-physical/part-digital software sh1t persists.

Wii U versions it is then.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                          Wii U versions it is then.
                          I've got a NTSC-U standard set I need to get rid of if you can wait until Christmas.

Comment

I've got a NTSC-U standard set I need to get rid of if you can wait until Christmas.
                            I'm already sorted but thanks for the offer.

Comment

Just as I'm thinking about a PS4 with PSVR I jump back into this for a dabble and I'm hooked again, with no desire to spend any money or time on anything else anymore.

I'm back on with the Jeanne 1 fight. I think it might be possible to finish it within just the one phase of Witch Time by jump-cancelling three whole meters-worth of Tetsuzankos into her followed by maybe a 360+K spin-attack or two. I got her down to just two hits left last night before Witch Time expired, but then the execution wasn't quite perfect.

It's a tricky one to practice as within the practice/loading zone you don't have any foes to reset the jump counter off of, so you can only practice the two cancels against thin air. Three meters is a total of nine cancels, and it can only be practiced live. The hardest part is working with just one hour of play time a day...
                              Last edited by dataDave; 11-01-2019, 09:42.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                                Hahaha, that's amazing. Man, this game.

Also: just clicked on the breakdown of votes in this thread. Some of you need to have a word with yourselves.
                                In my defence, Ive only played the PS3 version which ran like dog sh*t. Still gave it a seven on the back the experience. I do plan on picking it up on Switch.

Comment

Working...
                                X