A horror for halloween

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A horror for halloween

Halloween movies on TV almost always suck so here's some recommendations (focusing more on lesser known horror)

Noroi: The Curse

Fake documentary. Long, slow to build up and low budget but it's a great, lesser known J-horror title. Has perhaps the scariest 3 second shot of any film.

In the Mouth of Madness

Not sure why this horror isn't more well known but it's a good horror that feels like Stephen King meets HP Lovecraft.

House on Haunted Hill

Not to be confused with The Haunting of Hill house (which has had two adaptations, first one is classic horror, second one is pretty awful). It's got a few great scenes and is one of the few modern horrors that improves on the original. Only spoilt by Hollywood's insistance on having horror films turn to action films. Avoid the sequel at all costs.

Wishmaster

Not scary but has some great, unusual death scenes (which I love).

Cronos

Del Toro is very under-rated as a pure horror director. Neat twist on the vampire genre (as Kermode said, one of the very few vampire films that isn't really about sex)

Feel free to add your own.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch

The perfect film for Halloween night. I will be watching it.

Comment

^Yeah, great film. Silver Shamrock uber alles. Absolutely nuts as well, which helps. Will never forget the scene with all the worms n' cockroaches gradually spilling out from beneath the pumpkin mask.

Comment

I should watch Halloween 3. It's one of those films I need to watch so I can call myself a horror buff.

Comment

I adore Halloween 3 and haven't seen it in a few years. Man, I wish I had that on DVD. That's one I'd watch tonight.

Comment

How can you guys love halloween 3. The jingle is enough to turn anyone into a psychokiller.

Abigsmurf are Wishmaster and Noroi on tv tonight? I haven't seen either and i've been meaning too.

Comment

If you're a Liverpool fan, I'd recommend MOTD

Sorry.

Comment

Interview with the vampire, poltigeist, or drag me to hell for me
                oh and the night of the living dead savini remake

Comment

Is "Mouth of Madness" the Sam Neill film where he's the author?

That was a great movie!

Comment

Ju-On for me.

Simply my most scariest movie ever...didnt sleep right for days after that.
                    It really is the only movie in recent memory to truely scare me.

I've got Shutter to watch based on recommendations but the missus is in tonight & hate's horror movies so wont be watching anything
                    But I've heard it's a great scare movie.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                      Is "Mouth of Madness" the Sam Neill film where he's the author?

That was a great movie!
                      Yes it is. Also directed by John Carpenter.

Comment

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the excellent Re-Animator or Evil Dead.

For proper darkness, i do always quite like The Exorcist.

Comment

Re-animator is a little silly, if very awesome
                          I am trying to guess what tobe hooper shot and what the 'berg shot
                          Last edited by dvdmike; 31-10-2009, 20:55.

Comment

Re-Animator is a good fun horror (and a rare HP Lovecraft adaptation)

Neither of those films are on TV (the selection of horror around is predictably crap). Noroi hasn't had a western release so you're going to have to search for a translated version.

Comment

Poltigeist is so far not freeking me out like it did when I was 13

Comment

Working...
                              X