No announcement yet.

Ps4 to Support 4k!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bah, agree with most. Lets get 1080p/60fps as standard first. Personally I want to skip 4k and go straight onto 8k. Anyone else read about that joint NHK and BBC Ultra HD/Super Hi-Vision footage of the olympics with 22.2 channel sound? What this means is 42" screens will be pointless as 4k/8k is for filling up your wall/room.

I still love running PS2/Xbox on my CRT prog scan 480p. Perfectly matched tech, however I've never felt we've quite matched the consoles to screens this gen.

Comment

It's not what Sony puts into the PS4 that's important... it's what they remove for the PS4 Slim

Comment

Arg, 22.2 channel sound.

Glad I don't care for anything beyond 2.0.

Comment

Does anyone really care anymore? I mean, GT5 took miles too long and wasn't that good. PS3 was nothing special when it came out, bar a few exclusives the 360 is overall probably the better platform, certainly for online play. The Last Guardian still hasn't appeared.
          The Vita is once again raw power and offers nothing new.

The PS2 may have been hyped, but at least it delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
            I still love running PS2/Xbox on my CRT prog scan 480p. Perfectly matched tech, however I've never felt we've quite matched the consoles to screens this gen.
            This.

However, Skyrim on my PC into my 1080p TV is a sight to behold. Looks amazing. Hoping next consoles will do that as standard on most games. It's still largely down to the developers though.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
              As has always been the case.
              Now I haz PC I can't see me buying anything available on PC on PS3/4 anyway

Comment

Yeah, people are just put off by entry price - PCs always been better though, technically at least.

Comment

I never thought entry price was the issue with PC gaming its the faffing around that puts most people off.
                  DRM this, Steam that, online this and driver that.
                  I just wanna play my game FFS!!
                  Google.
                  "Apparently you just need to locate this file and mess about with this file."
                  Yeah easier said than done you tech savvy know it all bastard.

Comment

Haha. Well, Steam is pretty great if you don't like faffing.

Comment

I'm hoping these 48fps films like Hobbit will push game frame rates up. Once people are used to that, 30fps will probably look quite jerky in comparison. At the moment it's fine because films are 24 so 30 is still a bit smoother than that.

If 48fps films don't take off, I expect 30fps will still be around because you get so many extra resources to work with to make things look better and, depending on the game, no obvious negatives(other than forum posters complaining). What happened to that funky Star Wars frame-doubling tech demo?

I'd like for the next gen to do blurring properly. The LOD or whatever effect they use at the moment is naff because the edges of the objects don't blur and they just look like they swapped in N64 textures. I was playing Fifa 12 and it was hilarious, the player in focus was all next-gen and everyone nearer the camera were N64

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                        Haha. Well, Steam is pretty great if you don't like faffing.
                        Oh yeah I completely agree about Steam.
                        I know though that even Steam is a barrier for some people, they would rather spend ?400+ on a console than spec up a new PC.
                        Anyways regarding 4k, am I really going to notice a difference at 6+ ft from TV?

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                          To appreciate a 4k TV's resolution you'll need a screen over 100" diagonal and you'll need to be sat no more that about 8 feet away. It's a useful res for computer monitors but not for TVs. Dunno why it ever got off the drawing board (except for monitors).

Ehhh don't agree. If that was the case then there would be no point in my Retina MacBook Pro which is a MASSIVE difference to the standard MacBook Pro. I know the MacBook Pro isn't originally 1080p (in the 15" model anyway) but 2880x1800 is still 2 and a half times as many pixels as 1080p and it looks STUNNING. If I look at a regular notebook display now, it looks so pixelly/blurred.

I know you mentioned except for monitors, but the way it works with the retina display MBP is similar to how it'd work for graphics in games (same size for everything just 4x as many pixels so looks much more detailed).
                          Last edited by Synthesthesia; 23-08-2012, 17:45.

Comment

Even if it is more detailed the eye can only perceive so much from a certain distance. If you sat back from your retina you may as well have an air.

Comment

Yeah it's mainly to do with what the thing is used for, generally people sit a fair distance away from their TV, at least much more so than a monitor or laptop screen anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                                What's wrong with sticking at 1080? Is anyone going to HONESTLY care THAT much for anything higher?
                                Given the number of people happy watching dodgy cam copies of cinema movies, I rather suspect those that do care are a small percentage.

That said, it does make sense to support the standard, even if its use is / will be minor.

edit: Also http://site.i-techcompany.com/resolution_chart.html
                                Last edited by MartyG; 23-08-2012, 19:05.

Comment

Working...
                                X