No announcement yet.

Best Ridge Racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rage Racer is probably the best, they're all bettered by Sega's Scud Race mind.

Comment

The first PSP one, actually

Always hated the handling. I have to admit the first one has all the characteristics of a great arcade game but I never "got" the handling, it takes too much time to get to grips with and is completely unrealistic. I completely shunned it in favour of Segas intuitive, immersive and varied racers of the time and I still wouldn't rate Ridge anywhere near Daytona or Rally.

Tekken never felt as good as VF and Time Crisis had nothing on Virtua Cop either. You can see why I bought a Saturn insead of a PSX. Sorry Namco.

Anyway, as if the PSP wasn't an impressive enough piece of technology at launch, Ridge Racers just blew me away. Namco had been playing Outrun 2! Crazy drifting, insane speed, pumping soundtrack, suddenly I "get" it.

Comment

I love V and 7,

But i also love Rage Racer and Ridge 6!

Comment

I have enjoyed most of the games I've played. I couldn't stand the PS2 game though. I think it was 5?

Also, the Nintendo games have been a bit pointless for me too.

The sooner Namco get these games on the PSN as was demonstrated ages ago the better I think. I imagine they'd sell well at around £3:49 and I'd love to play R4 again.

Comment

Either the original one or the newish one on 360..

I remember playing the original one after paying £800 for a jap PSX the day they was released, we played for about 15 hours straight. I was amazed, it was like a arcade game in your living room

Comment

Originally posted by John Parry View Post
              The sooner Namco get these games on the PSN as was demonstrated ages ago the better
              That would be a dream come true.

Comment

For me, the best is easily Type 4, without a doubt. The style was superb and totally unique. Music was fantastic. It had tracks that were very clearly Ridge Racer but with great layouts and looks. And the control was sublime - a real breather from GT which was huge at the time.

A clear win.

Then RRV happened and something went horrifically wrong.

Comment

scud race, now we are talking, port to ps3 please.

Comment

I could never get my head round Ridge Racer when it was doing the rounds on the PSX, its only when i picked up RRV on the jap PS2 for a paltry Fiver in CEX many moons ago in Leed, that i fell in love with teh sublime handling and the Samurai Rocket tune blazing the air waves

Stil my fave......... even after so long.........

RR7 was ok, but i cant get my head round the turbo thingy as it kinda takes the skill out of the driving............

Comment

RRV is highly underrated IMO.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

^^
                        Truth. It's one of the most underrated games ever.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                          RRV is highly underrated IMO.
                          I bought a PS2 on launch with RR5 and TTT and promptly sold it and apologised to my Dreamcast. Didn't get another until GT3. I picked up RR5 yeas later for a fiver and suddenly found myself thinking its actually not bad. Enjoyed it more than the PS1 games.

RR4 however I thought was utter ****e. Had to check my X button wasn't faulty at first, and the car physics seem to be the reverse of reality. Worth buying for 60fps Ridge Racer only.

Comment

I played RRV heavily on JPN launch. It was a big step up from 4 IMO. I never liked 4 at all. Until TTT was released I never played anything else. SFEX3 and Fantavision got brief plays, but I really digged RRV at the time. The psuedo radio station was great too.
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

RR & RRR. I got ages of play out of these two due to passing around memory card with TT times between mates and even family wanted in. My brother won overall

Plus, the music in RR was just great. Had the same eefect on my as hearing Bomb the Bass on a Bitmap Bros game. On RR, the help of familiar old school samples and style that had yet to hit a game just ate me up like I was a big mashmellow suspended in love-bullet-time-malfunction-bum.

Get yer lugs around these >

RR - Rhythm Shift
                              RR - Feeling Over
                              RR - Ridge Racer
                              RR - Rotterdam Nation
                              RR - Speedster
                              RR - Rare Hero
                              RR - Winning Run
                              RR - Opening Theme
                              RR - Game Over
                              RR - Ending

Comment

I love the remake/mix of Rare Hero in RRR. I was like when I first heard it!

Comment

Working...
                                X