No announcement yet.

Best Ridge Racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RRV is the only one in the series I didn't take to straight away as the handling suddenly felt stiffer and less instinctive than in the previous games. Plus it was a little too cluttered presentation-wise for my taste, lacking the arcade immediacy of the earlier games.

Comment

Originally posted by C' View Post
      Ridge Racer 2 (Arcade): The original game?s near perfect designed course (and extension) topped off with the best soundtrack Namco have created in a Ridge game (Drive U 2 Dancing, Grip and Rare Hero 2 are all immense), the rear view mirror and, best of all, the link up battle play.
      Love that track, great atmosphere for racing.

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Rage Racer for me, namco really began to move the series on at this point from just an arcade racer to something with a bit more depth imo, also loved the massive change in direction artistically as well with the moodier environments.

Comment

Rotterdam Nation!! Yeah!

But the best? Hmm tough one.. I like em all. I think I'll go with the arcade version of very first (or rather RR2 as it was simply RR1 with some slight tweaks) and Rage Racer as 2nd, although I do agree the colorful look of the first titles was better.

I always prefered the course of RR1 over the one of RRR. Its just too bad RRR didn't have had both courses on the disc.

Namco were the masters of game music, really. I like most of their sounds. The RR soundtrack set a standard for me, it was furious and loud. Tekken always had a great soundtrack too, also mostly very different with each installment (TTT's ost is great stuff: King stage!).
          Last edited by saturn-gamer; 18-12-2007, 20:54.

Comment

Ridge Racer & Daytona were rivals, and great games. We were lucky to have both at the same time.

They were created at a time when both companies had the technology to really push 3D visuals. They didn't go for gritty realism though, they delivered better than life experiences.

The colour, vibrancy, music, gameplay, both titles were extravagant in all these areas.

Those qualities captured gamers imaginations, and the arcades were alive with gaming and success.

I don't think any arcade racers since, have really made such an impact on the game scene. It was a magical time.

Namco decided to embrace a more sombre style for the Ridge Race series after Revolution. Sega stuck to the style that their fans love.

As much as RR4/5/6/7, are good titles, I always feel like Namco haven't put enough love and energy into them. The gameplay may be fun, but the extravagant in-ya-face design, has disappeared, and the result, for me at least, are experiences which don't feel as warm and happy as I'd like them to be.

Comment

I loved all of the Ridge Racer games, there wasn't one personally that I didn't like although I did think that Ridge Racer Revolution was made as almost a bit of an afterthought.

One tune sticks in my head from Ridge Racer 5 when you finish the game, On the painted desert by Boom Boom Satellites, can't find the bugger anywhere!

Comment

Didn't read through the entire thread, but anyone mention R-Racing already? Not that I liked it much...

Anyways, lookie here: Rave Racer cabinet for € 100 starting bid

Comment

Originally posted by Shinebi View Post
                  Didn't read through the entire thread, but anyone mention R-Racing already?
                  Bwahahaaaa

Comment

Originally posted by Hairydavey View Post
                    although I did think that Ridge Racer Revolution was made as almost a bit of an afterthought.
                    VF Remix style indeed.

Originally posted by Super Monkey Balls View Post
                    Bwahahaaaa
                    Quite.
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                      Quite.
                      ...for another topic then haha

Yeah, I enjoyed the RR games, although I refused to get me a PSX at the time (so much else to play: Daytona, Sega Rally etc...) But when this one went multiplatform I played it for a while on the Box, and it needn't be said, but it was quite a letdown.

Comment

RRV

I've not played RR7 yet, but it can't be the best because of that nitro rubbish in the new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick View Post
                          RRV

I've not played RR7 yet, but it can't be the best because of that nitro rubbish in the new ones.

I love V too, but i would say you're in for a surprise m8 when you play 7; its very, very nice

Comment

I think no6 runs smoother than no7, and looks more solid. No7 has a dash more colour in parts, but the music is terrible.

If someone has a 360, RR6 is a must-have. Given the choice, I'd have RR6 over RR7.

Let's look forward to RR8

Comment

RR should only be played on a PS pad. That's why it sucks on 360. I bet that 95% of people don't even use digital controls either.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I love Ridge Racer. I got it with my launch-week PlayStation, and it felt like having an arcade machine at home for the first time. Played it to death, and still have the odd go now and again. Hi def, 60fps XBLA or PSN version, please.

I never quite got the love that people seem to have for R4. The whole structure of the game was really odd. It was all built around winning cars (and even the way you did that was strange, as you had to come 2nd or 3rd deliberately in order to get all of them), but once you got them, there was nothing you could really use them for other than time trial. The lack of a single race mode was really weird, and seemed to go against the arcadey pick-up-and-play nature of the series. It had cracking music, though.

RR7 is probably my favourite overall. I'm not as keen on the direction the graphics have taken. I think they need more colour, and I miss the time of day shifting as you play that happened in the original games, but they've honed the handling to perfection, and the game's nicely structured too. I have to admit to buying all the music packs for this one. I wish they'd put Rotterdam Nation in there, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X