No announcement yet.

Mario Vs Donkey Kong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be fair... Donkey Kong Country on the Snes was DK at his best imo. An utterly sublime platformer with an incredible sense of skill and patience required, fantastic visuals which quite literally blew everyone away at the time and most importantly solid game play.

Although Donkey Kong was a success back in its day (please excuse the huge understatement there. lol) I feel Rare did a fantastic job with DK?s character in DKC 1,2 and 3? admittedly DK64 wasn?t quite up to standards with its obsession on the ?Collect Everything!!1? premise. However DK himself still shined

Therefore I cant really say I feel relieved or anything tbh. But I suppose its nice to think Nintendo have one of their initial mascots back. Though? they never actually really lost it. meh.

If rare were to say they had another, all new DKC in development for the GBA or DS I would be excited indeed

Concerning the GBA/GC Link. Sadly not. That was removed for whatever reason unknown.
    ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Mmmmm bananas

Sadly the linkup proposed is no longer present... maybe they thought it was too hard to implement for whatever reason. Pity, it would have been nice to design your own levels to stump friends.
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Despite my blatent Nintendo fanboyism I have to say I am not enjoying this as much as I hoped.

The main problem for me at the moment is the controls - at least half of my deaths seem to come from the limits of the controls.

I am the sort of gamer who completed the whole of mario: lost levels without ever letting go of the dash button, and I find the slow pace of this game hard to bear, prompting me to take jumps that I probably shouldnt.

This is especially the case with the ropes in the games - hanging onto ropes from jumps, or transfering across ropes is needlessly fiddly - I must have died 10 times just trying to transfer from one rope to another.

I know the clunky nature of the controls suit a puzzle based game, but the whole joy with Mario is usually the intuitive feel of his control, I just dont find this game has that at all.

Hopefully I can get used to these problems, but when you play a level for 10 minutes patiently waiting for the alignment of ropes each time only to die on the final rope transfer because you havent hung onto the new rope for seemingly no reason it begins to grate ft: .

I have already started to replay old levels for top score which requires you to go as fast as possible and the controls just seem to completely fall apart for me when playing like this.

Comment

Wow, that is surprising Mr. Have you tried linking the triple jumps/back flips/hand stand jumps with the movements while running? Ive only ever thought the moves intertwine perfectly, and the controls to match their functions seamlessly. Ive read various times the controls seem fiddly to some, but it?s always confused me how... hmmm... strange.

Also the comment concerning the ropes is another thing which i find surprising... just a few moments ago i was playing (heh) and smiled to myself after some seamlessly responsive rope swinging/jumping action. The little Plumber jumped from rope to rope like a pro and landed with style...

I can understand how said problems would hinder the enjoyment and cause frustration. Though i personally haven?t witnessed them myself.
          ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Thanks for the response Adam - I think out of everyone I have spoken to I am the only one with a problem.

It is probably due to my lack of patience . I will be sticking with it, hopefully I will get used to it and report back a bit more positively next time!

Comment

Is Donkey Kong 94 worth buying if you got this game Mario Vs Donkey Kong

Comment

Originally posted by rjpageuk
                The main problem for me at the moment is the controls - at least half of my deaths seem to come from the limits of the controls.
                I'm inclined to agree - the fact that Mario's basic movement feels lead weighted is beginning to get on my nerves now. I still think it's a good enough game, but I'd rather be making soaring leaps a la Super Marioworld - not appropriate for this game really, but that leads me to feel that the Mario theme is more window dressing than anything else.

I am in a bad mood this morning though.

Comment

Personally, I thought the control was spot on. Ultimately, Mario controls like he did back in his pre-super days, which makes perfect sense, since this game is basically a continuation of Donkey Kong. I started playing and immediately thought, "Cool, just like Donkey Kong!" so it all works out.

Admittedly, some of the jumps are *tight*, but patience and care pays off. I find my frustration in screwing up late-on in a level ends up in me inevitably losing multiple lives in a row as I attempt to rush through the level to get to the point I was at just before I died.

Having never played DK94 on the Gameboy, I have to say this game makes Donkey Kong the game it was always supposed to be. I always thought the original DK was a bit basic; who would've thought it could be expanded into a game as fantastic as this?

Comment

Are the graphics as bad as I've heard people saying they are? I've seen screenshots and they look ok, but you really have to see it on the GBA screen to know for sure.

Comment

Frankly, they're blind

Graphics to me are great (as stated in my review) heh...
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

James Harvey- Did you read that about the graphics on Ch4's digitiser?
                        I'd have to say Mayhem's review was much more accurate than theirs TBH.
                        I thought the graphics were lovely and there is tons of replayability if you want high scores and all of the stars.

Comment

Had it for two days.
                          On the third level.
                          Have all stars so far.
                          Just like Mr JT and MacD's = I'm LOVIN' it....

Comment

Originally posted by bowser123
                            James Harvey- Did you read that about the graphics on Ch4's digitiser?
                            Yep, or Gamecentral as it's now called... why do I still read that?

Comment

Anybody figured out where you can order one of these yet? It'd go really well between the Super Monkey Ball figures ^_^

Comment

Been playing this in short spurts inbetween the footy, have managed to get up to World 5 relatively quickly. I am loving it so far, great fun although not that taxing at the moment. As for the graphics being poor they must be blind, they aren't anything special but they certainly are solid. Highly recommended to all.

In an odd kind of way it reminds me of Krustys super fun house (which was also a great game).

Comment

Working...
                                X