No announcement yet.

Galleon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being the incompetent fool i am, I am stuck very early in the game. What am i meant to do on the boat that you are looking for treasure in? I think I have two things to find, but I just can't find them. Are there any particulary hard things to find or am i simply being an idiot?

Seeing as i am only a short way into the game, I can't really pass judgement, but the climbing is really confusing, usually because the camera goes mental. I am liking the style of the game though.

Comment

Poor puzzle I know:
      Walk around the edge of the boat on the rail and theres a hole.

Comment

thanks, I will have a go later on today.

Comment

Speaking of help, if anyone can give me some tips on how to beat the huge tiger at the end of the 'Got The Keys' checkpoint, I'd appreciate it. With such a dodgy combat system, I'm doing my best but getting chewed every time... so ideally, something more that 'don't attack it when it's glowing blue' might be useful. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by martTM
            Speaking of help, if anyone can give me some tips on how to beat the huge tiger at the end of the 'Got The Keys' checkpoint, I'd appreciate it. With such a dodgy combat system, I'm doing my best but getting chewed every time... so ideally, something more that 'don't attack it when it's glowing blue' might be useful. Cheers.
            God you're crap...

Just keep twatting him, the controls don't allow you to do anything more complex then that, so hit him a few times, then run away and just repeat it.

And to think you were on gamesmaster...

Comment

And Games World - don't forget that.

Comment

May I ask why you two don't just talk with each other in the office?

I bet you text each other too; "Make us a coffee".

"I'm beating you 1-0 at Pro Evo"...

Comment

Maybe they're just incredibly shy.

Then again, maybe Mart's and Strider's employers have cut off their tongues and chained them to the desks. Or something.

Comment

I'm stuck in a room full of ladders with mihoko, any ideas?

I've done it now, duh
                    Last edited by EvilBoris; 21-06-2004, 11:48. Reason: sorted

Comment

Originally posted by johnbealieau
                      or maybe, just maybe, I am slating it because its a poorly thought out control system, combined with subpar 1998 design issues (generic puzzles, sections (see swimming, sliding down slopes, escaping from fire, doors opening to time limits etc etc etc (have a ton more but i don't want to shoot my wad early if you know what i mean (will become more apparent soon)), poorly thought out combat, same-same enemies, simplistic enemy AI routines (bosses facing away from you and doing their 'special' attacks cos you moved out of the way and they ain't clicked onto that fact yet),
                      You know, for a moment I thought you were discussing Prince of Persia. How silly of me.

Anyway, I just finished this and I have to say that it is one of the best games I've played in a long while. Sure there's been a couple of frustrating moments (the swim to shore in the storm Grrr!!!) and one particularly annoying boss encounter, but in a game that's taken me about 25 hours to complete, I'd say that's pretty bloody good. I can't believe you have issues with the control system. It works fine. If your too heavy handed to make him walk across narrow beams then that's your fault. I never once had a problem with that issue. Ever. Just gently push and off he walks. I even got used to the combat by the end of it (yes it is the games weakest point - but hey, like POP, it's forgivable in the long run). It has some excellent puzzles (the whole air castle and shrunken Rhama being two particular stand outs), a great sense of scale and speed (try diving off the top of Calverly's island and then swimming into the bay to the sunken ship - it's massive) and lets not forget that all the islands are all done in one load too so it keeps you immersed at all times.

Seriously, people just wanna complain about this. They had the knives out before it even came out. It's gets my glowy star award and recommendation. Yes, it is very Tomb Raider, but so what? I like this assertion that games have moved on since 1998. Have they? Have they really? Apart from some smarter looks, how come so many game still feature bosses (cough Ninja Gaiden cough) and other cliches (find the key, open the door - see previous brackets) and are held up as paragons of the genre. It's nonsense.
                      Last edited by Squirtle; 05-07-2004, 21:24.

Comment

I heard almost nothing about this game except a few quick reviews which praised it to buggery, but other than that, I can't say hype effected me at all.

However, I owed it to the thirty quid hammering my wallet took to try an get into this, but in the end I gave up. I haven't got a clue where I'm supposed to go at the point I stopped, the controls are clunky and impossible, and the character's all look like strange stick-insect hybrids... I'm NOT just hating it cos I can, I hate it cos it's ****e.
                        Visually it's beautiful, but I've seen better. The water effects that I usually orgasm over are bog-standard, and although the levels (they one's I've seen anyway) are huge, I just can't shake the feeling that this is a long time coming, and not enough work put into it. Could've been great, but it's just a struggle to enjoy a game that you can't operate properly.

Comment

I clocked this the other night, i thouroughly enjoyed it, did it in 11 hours 33 minutes, although it seemed like alot longer.

It does get very infuriating at times!

WHERE THE HELL IS THAT BLOODY ITEM!

Comment

New to these forums, but I drop in from time to time.

I started playing Galleon a few days ago, and I'm having a great time with it. But I also loved PN03 and Gun Valkyrie, which many hated.

Galleon to me does many things right. The character animation is beautiful, it has it's own original style (like it or loathe it, personally I like it), and it's strikingly clean to look at and play. No jaggies, full 4x FSAA, smooth frame rate, perfect motion blending, fluid control, fantastic cut scenes and great character design.

And it has a nice atmosphere too. A real sense of adventure.

You can pick holes in it technically all you like, - yes the environments are rather dated, yes the water is poor and so on, but it's the most fun I've had with a new game since Sands of Time.

It gets my vote, too bad it didn't sell or review well in the mainstream press. I guess it isn't public knowledge yet where Toby has gone, but best of luck to him.

Comment

Picked this up for 2nd a couple of days, and i have to say i'm really enjoying it and the controls are joy to use, im only onthe 2nd island but the sense of scale is amazing even if the graphics are hark back to the dreamcast era.

btw how do you force a dive?

Comment

Looking back at the shot above and in hindsight, I'm so ****ing glad I didnt buy this in the end, no matter how good it looked in Edge hype-vision. How can you say the controls are a joy to use? They are designed to by played with the stick up your arse and you wiggling about. A complete sham.

See the DVDRs on my telly? Yeah, thank ****.

Comment

Working...
                                X