No announcement yet.

Mashed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not all of us rush out for the next Burnout, the next Metal Gear, Zelda etc some of us like to find the little gems that often get missed.

Comment

Played the Demo of Mashed - and man this is one hell of a playable game - I don't see why the negative issues are coming out here. Do you not agree it is a great playable game ?

Comment

There is a review here, which makes it, sound quite, good!

Its also, the worst review, ever, written! Like fast!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadFuu
          Do you not agree it is a great playable game ?
          Not really, no - that's why we're having this discussion.

While it's certainly not the worst example of the style I've seen (Atari's recent attempt at Micro Machines was a mess, for instance), there's too much wrong with the fundamentals - camera and controls - to make it fun. As I've said before, the only reason multiplayer is better is because everyone suffers from the same problems, so you don't get frustrated by the fact that the AI is getting away with murder... you're too busy shouting at your real-life opponents to notice. Such is the joy of playing with friends - they can often cover up even the least enjoyable gaming experience.

EDIT: Heh. Just read, that really! Terrible review. Very, funny. Haha!

Almost as good as some of mine. Almost.
          Last edited by martTM; 16-06-2004, 21:06.

Comment

Mart, have you actually played multiplayer? Your comments are so far wrong its unbelievable.

For the record, I'd give Mashed maybe 3/10 single player. the controls ARE really sensitive, but after about half an hour in multiplayer you realise why they are that sensitive.

In multiplayer the game is absolutely incredible. The reason its better isnt because all players suffer the same, its because its unbelievably entertaining and addictive. The camera is a pain for the person in first place cos they are so close to the edge of the screen, but that just works as an advantage for the guys bringing up the rear. It worked the same in MM. The track design, weapons, vehicle physics and overall speed are absolutely spot on. Its not just a good multiplayer game, its a downright classic.

Now if people disagree then fair enough, but please dont listen to impressions from people who havent tried this 4 player. the single player game is non existant, whereas the multiplayer is essential gaming. It had me in tears for hours the other night.

Comment

Have to agree with Kerraig here... single player is pretty much worthless as a game, but when you ramp in several friends... it was an absolute riot and played for hours on end over the weekend just gone. Sure the camera angle at times was a little strange (due to trying to track everyone until they get eliminated) and the controls take a little time to adjust to the sensitivity, but it was a great multiplayer experience. Especially with gunship attacks on
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Kerraig UK
                Mart, have you actually played multiplayer? Your comments are so far wrong its unbelievable.

Now if people disagree then fair enough, but please dont listen to impressions from people who havent tried this 4 player.
                Unfortunately, I hate played it in multiplayer with two, three and four people and I still think it's bad - hence the reason why I feel my comments were justified. It's a case of agreeing to disagree... your comments are more than relevant (as is the case with opinions - because that's how they work) but I personally thought it was painful. And I've got an entire office of people who agree with me... bar one, anyway.

Comment

Fair enough. Sorry if I sounded harsh but your comments cam accross like you were guessing at the multiplayer appeal.

So I spose its more a try before you buy scenario then. I'd personally give the multiplayer a solid 8/10, borderline 9.

Comment

This game has been getting 8's across the board (Edge this month, included). I'm sooo tempted, but this thread is holding me back. I probably won't get to play multiplayer often, so not sure if it is worth getting or not just for those rare moments.

Probably wait for a second hand copy, which I'd have thought won't take long...

Comment

any person who doesn't like Mashed in multiplayer IS DEAD INSIDE!!!11!!!

ps singleplayer is average (if i was reviewing it i would be going for around 5/10) but aren't all of these type of games the same? maybe circuit breakers was slightly better sp (it had a slightly better camera iirc) but that isn't what these games are aimed at......they are party games of the highest order and its a major feat nowadays for any game to keep us off WE7i during a games night session but mashed achieved this for a number of hours

Comment

Originally posted by YOUWIN
                        well i aquired this to try it out, and i have to say that Mr Ono was being generous with his 3/10.

Have only scratched the surface so far in single player, but its horrid!
                        Will have to keep this on the hard drive till i can try the multiplayer, but as for a single player experience i wouldn't even condsider it on what i've seen so far.

PS1 graphics, like ono said the analogue sticks are way way too sensitive (no adjustment in options) - the menu's are poor, very little polish at all, and as already has been said it all looks quite amaturish, tis hard to believe i had a s-controller in my hand tbh.

And to think i had this preordered @?26.99 ft: - for those of you still interested - it's now ?17.99 @play.

Oh and thanks for Mr ono's first impressions, unless multiplayer's a ****ing riot you have saved me some cash

i gotta stand by what i've said already, but after spending around 3 hours playing multiplayer with 2 m8's i'd up the score to 5 or 6 - we had an absolutely ****ing great larf
                        It has to mentioned tho, that unfortunately you have to play almost all the single player to unlock stuff for the multiplayer, which in itself is ****e.
                        I forced my way through the single player in about 4 - 6 hours tho.

Just one thing got me stuck....Has anyone managed to do that first fugative race ( the one on the snow/ice map) i must have tried that ****er 50 odd times and still no joy, can't even get close enough to the object car to inspire me to keep trying. Is there a shortcut/trick somewhere that im missing?

Also what format was circuit breakers on? - sounds like a good alternative to mashed

cheers
                        YW

Comment

circuit breakers and its sequel (whose name i have forgotten) was released on psone... and updates where released periodically on the official playstation cover disks (new tracks and cars etc)

quite possibly the finest multiplayer game available on the psone (multitapped up) and the variety in the tracks and vehicles was much greater than mashed. used to love racing around a venice type city in speedboats

Comment

Apparently, you need to drive 3 perfect laps - no skidding etc. On the 3rd lap he stacks it in to the snow drift, enabling you to catch him. Still can't do it though!
                            The track with the floating platform is just class, superb game which I'm enjoying in both single and multiplayer.
                            I have 12 courses up, but read somewhere there's 13? Also, can anyone confirm after completing single player you get access to different camera angles?

Comment

thx fellas,

camps, i think i'll check out the ebay for circuit breakers then - me + the m8's still play micro machines 3 + also micro maniacs - love both those

bignige, i also have 12 tracks, it does look like there should be another one aswell tho, if you notice track 11 and 12 have little cups by the left of them, bronze and silver respectively. I am assuming once everything is complete on those 12 tracks then the last one will open up (gold i spose) - anyway it's just that 1st fugative one which i think is stopping me - aaarrrgghhhh - lol

Comment

Originally posted by John Beaulieu
                                circuit breakers and its sequel (whose name i have forgotten) was released on psone... and updates where released periodically on the official playstation cover disks (new tracks and cars etc)

quite possibly the finest multiplayer game available on the psone (multitapped up) and the variety in the tracks and vehicles was much greater than mashed. used to love racing around a venice type city in speedboats

Its Super Sonic Racers, then its sequel, Ciruit Breakers. I had the demo for SSR it has more character and stranger tracks than CB, but CB plays better (except the awful underwater and boat tracks)

Comment

Working...
                                X