Gradius V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This game rocks so much it's insulting!

Bosses even get extra cores - that's just amazing!

I noticed when playing Very Hard mode wasnt just normal game with extra shots flying about like most developers would do - superb work.

Comment

your right, Konami have really pulled the stops out, that stage 1 boss looks awesome, will have to try out very hard tonight, I'm enjoying this tons more than Psyvariar 2, once you get used to the power up system you can concentrate on shooting things just like in the good old days

How annoying is it when you go through all the power ups back to speed up without selecting one - unless of course you next selection counts "double" ?

Apparantly is takes about 78 mintues to play through all stages on Normal so loads of long levels to come

Comment

Hhehe awesome, been playing for almost a week now, it definitely is da most wickedest shmup i've played this year by far The big boss explosions at the end with intentional dramatic slowdown is very nice, reminded me of Ikaruga and Border Down. Been playing on Normal difficulty, always got killed by those snail worm things on the 2nd stage, i tried all the differing ship types, most comfortable now is prolly Type 3, just managed to get a lil bit further on 2nd stage past the snail things after just changing ma tactics, been stuck on that bit for a while!

Enjoying it alot, easy to get into, a bitch to master but that's what decent shmups are all about. Correct me if i'm wrong, doesn't this game use the most buttons for its genre ever? You got your normal shots, rapids shots, missiles, select weapon and R1 to utilise! lol You soon get into the drift of things tho, but sometimes tend to over-collect weapons and i've missed an extra option opportunity and big boss arrives,,,, grrrr - an auto-weapon selector be nice, or better still manual, so you can switch to and fro without worrying about over-selecting, plus able to select any ship type at any time during the game, but hey it wouldn't be Gradius then I spose?! :P

Can see this game is gonna last me some time indeed cos i'm determined, well gonna try to do it all on 1 credit without training on the stages, see how far i can get

Btw, where can i get some decent Gradius V wallpapers?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by davidholliss
            your right, Konami have really pulled the stops out, that stage 1 boss looks awesome, will have to try out very hard tonight, I'm enjoying this tons more than Psyvariar 2, once you get used to the power up system you can concentrate on shooting things just like in the good old days
            Heavyweight - I still havent finished Psyvariar 2 but still play daily, I can 1 credit up to GLUON's second form and I'm never gonna stop until I can do it. Absolutely adore the game still, there is so much more stuff I have learnt, but Gradius is so damn sick aswell and I'm constantly torn between them - I want to be able to talk about playing the game in terms of loops and not levels.

I dont need to buy any more games!

Comment

Safe for that help you manz - I can rock stage 4 now! (love it!)

Got that regrowing section down, you score so highly!

Comment

I keep on losing lives when I get to the last boss on the 3rd stage, I keep getting caught by the vertical lasers. I rarely lose a life up until that point.

Comment

I know I keep saying this, but you havent seen anything until stage 7! Its so intense and long! Theres even a kind of puzzle in there too!

By the way Saur, good to here you got stage 4 down pat. Do you kill the worms by the way? They give you loads of points. If youre quick enough you can get rid of the middle one , put your options behind you and get rid of the other two as they pass by.
                  Last edited by venom743; 13-08-2004, 10:30.

Comment

I cant wait to get there man! I have 4 and 5 down now, tonight I'll go for 6 and hopefully unlock 7 for training.

It helps me loads using the training mode/stage select to learn the stages fully before doing 1 credit runs. Stage 4 used to be pure fear when I got there but now it's just plain fun and I concentrate more on scoring high, same with stage 5 now.

Edit: yeah man I have a routine for that section, I kill them at certain points so that the explosions take out the next worm and so forth. I've got it so that 3 worm section is down to 2 as one of them dies straight away and the other 2 I can take out by aiming the options.
                    Last edited by Saurian; 13-08-2004, 10:36.

Comment

Youve got the annoying green gel and boss rush to look forward to on stage 6!

Comment

Do you guys play this with the DS2 or with arcade sticks? I think I'm going to pick a copy of this up. Not usually a shooter fan but rjpage's demos look great.

Neil.
                        Last edited by NeilMcRae; 13-08-2004, 15:21.

Comment

I play on either man - it's sweet on both, although stick is a lot more precise and faster movements are possible it still plays beautifully on pad.

Comment

Why in rjpages videos are the lasers red, when mine are blue?

Comment

Cos he's using player 2 ship (Vader's Viper!!!!) 8)

I do the same - teefing little slag! XD

Comment

Ah I see, Ive not played any two player yet but can you select that by plugging the controller into port 2 and selecting start? Also whilst Im asking questions on this, whats the Konami trick that someone mentioned elsewhere?

Comment

Working...
                                X