No announcement yet.

Gradius V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just been to Tescos and Sava Center-the only places still open now i should imagine.

Met with a blank stare in both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by don_caballero
      The game however......****!
      I was gonna chip my PS2 for this but took the will they/won't they include a 60z mode option and thankfully it paid off.
      So does the game have 60Hz mode option?

Comment

Yes. it has a 60Hz mode

I got my game from simplygames.com

I get all PAL stuff from there and every game i get, i get one day before release and it's cheaper than play.com and they give you free first class delivery.

simplygames.com and videogamesplus.ca are the best.
        Last edited by Kevvy Metal; 08-10-2004, 18:48.

Comment

man this game is awesome. I just spent an hour getting my ass handed to me in the first level thought to be fair it is the first gradius game I've ever played so I was still getting used to how the things were working, kept using them little powerup things on missiles, instead of getting those wierd little blob things that fire at enemies at the same time you do. By the end of that hour I managed to get through the level and the boss without using a continue(YAY!). Now I need to work on getting through it without wasting a life. The boss on level 2 is a bitch, I thought I'd killed it when these tentacley things took my last life.

Comment

Haven't seen this this game anywhere in the shops

Originally posted by Concept
            You know what was really depressing?

It was out today in GAME but they didn't have the store space for it (or they didn't want to put it up), so someone had to go into the back room and get a copy for me.

A shame to see games like this not actually even make the store front.
            Didn't bother asking(not sure I can afford another game right now), I heard the game was hardcore but that's ridiculous

Comment

Picked up my copy today.

Oh. My. God.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible for Treasure to make a shoot-em-up that sucks. Seriously. In my eyes at least, whatever they touch seems to turn into gold.

I hereby declare myself a Treasure fanboy, once and for all.

Anyway. This is, in my opinion, the perfect modern shoot-em-up. I was a firm believer until playing this R-Type was better than Gradius when it came to gameplay satisfaction. I was also initially skeptical when playing this as the earlier Gradius games (minus Salamander) I didn't really like. I don't know why but I just didn't like them at all. This changed my mind and that's all there is to say.

Now... Time for an all nighter. Only i'm out of Pepsi Max...

Comment

Hooray!: Arrived today (cancelled my order with Play and got it from Simply Games instead - cheers to don_caballero)

Boo: I've ****ed up my shoulder and can't put as much time into it as I'd like

Love the way that the first level is a nod to Ikaruga in terms of colour scheme. Nice stuff. Keep losing it carelessly on the tight corridors of level 2, though - I've not yet got into the headspace that lets you keep an eye on every section of the screen, instead focussing on the pwetty colours and explosions.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
                  You know what was really depressing?

It was out today in GAME but they didn't have the store space for it (or they didn't want to put it up), so someone had to go into the back room and get a copy for me.

A shame to see games like this not actually even make the store front.
                  Same happened to me in Game Station in Liverpool, they didn't even know it had come out until one guy said, "OH, you mean gradius Vee!" (dick) I said yeah, Gradius 5 and paid ?24.99 for it.

Comment

A shame to see games like this not actually even make the store front
                    I had it playing on all the TV/Monitors at the store I work in (bar the one set up for Donkey Konga which I've been playing in front of several customers), if the manager had been in though it would be FIFA that would be showing.

About a month ago I made a DVD of game trailers for the store with stuff like Viewtiful Joe 2, Killer 7, Devil May Cry 3, Capcom Fighting Jam & Gradius V as well as more mainstream fair like GTA:SA & Sims 2, guess which games got the biggest reactions from the majority of customers?.

The sad fact is only a tiny minority of customers come in asking for the sort of titles that are championed around here, most just want the next big EA title, in the year I've worked for Game I've had only one person come in asking for a decent shmup (I convinced him to buy Psyvariar Complete) and to be honest unless I can convince my broke mate to buy it I'd be suprised if Gradius V sells a single copy where I work.
                    Last edited by Nisa; 13-10-2004, 14:49.

Comment

Bastard Treasure. Bastard, bastard, BASTARD Treasure. I'm never going to see level 3 unless a use a continue on the level 2 boss, am I? Three bastard hours and no bastard improvement - always die through my lazy, ham-fisted clumsiness and lack of focus on its final form.

BASTARD.

Comment

Originally posted by E. Randy Dupre
                        Bastard Treasure. Bastard, bastard, BASTARD Treasure. I'm never going to see level 3 unless a use a continue on the level 2 boss, am I? Three bastard hours and no bastard improvement - always die through my lazy, ham-fisted clumsiness and lack of focus on its final form.

BASTARD.
                        I managed it once with 2 lives remaining. Earned a third life and lost it immediately afterwards. Type 1 rocks for bosses, just gather up all the multiples so they're bunched up together inside your ship, freeze them there and let there be death.

I've just been playing a quick session of this... And for the first time in a long, long while, I had entered 'The Zone'. Just doubled my top score on the scoreboard, forgot where I was, and the moment that Game Over screen popped up and I turned away from the TV, I had to take a second or two to actually figure out what time it is.

Brilliant! I've been waiting for a game to do this to me.
                        Last edited by Silvergun X; 13-10-2004, 23:02.

Comment

I'm relying on Type 4 - it makes the first boss such a piece of piss, you just sit there and forget that he's shooting at you while your multiples eat up his round laser thingies. Just managed to clear level two, but gave into temptation and cheaped my way through to level four with some credits. I figured, I've gained a whole bloody pile of them while I've been struggling, I might as well use them. Trying to justify it by telling myself that at least I've got some more sections open for practice, but I still feel dirty.

How brilliant is it that if you defeat the first boss before he starts spinning around the explosion as he dies ties in perfectly with the music reaching a crescendo?

This brilliant:

Treasure, you are bastards, but you still make me cry tears of joy.
                          Last edited by E. Randy Dupre; 14-10-2004, 15:37.

Comment

Originally posted by ara
                            Today when I lost all my lives the gradius announcer said, "WHAT THE HELL?" !

I never heard that before... it was pretty amusing.
                            Aye, they seem to change depending on which stage you lose your last life after a clean run from stage 1.

I wonder what it says when you die on stage 8? Yet to find that out, hopefully I never will - dying on stage 8 would be a real pisser.

Comment

Finally found a copy, it's very easy setting for me thanks, hopefully I can get past stage 2 today, it's always such a shame when I loose all those blue lasers, they're so pretty

I like the design, it's a lot more engaging than R-Type Final.

Comment

Been playing this loads recently, after I got it ages ago. Absolutely loving it, it's rejuvenated my love of shooters ^_^

So far I can one-life the first two levels (although that second boss is a complete gay, I don't find him that hard but I lose stupid lives on him).

Love how harsh the game is. Spending two levels to power yourself up to have 4 multiples, full speed, lasers and missiles, only to die and be stuck with your Multiples (if you can catch them). I tend to use the Rotation type of multiple, but I'm feeling the limits. You can use them as a shield well, but against bosses, it sucks. You can't directly lots of lasers in one place, to completely own them.

Anyway, gonna carry on playing this, and I might have a go at the scores thread ^_^

Comment

Working...
                                X