Richard Burns Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You want realism then buy McRae 4
    Colin McRae 4 realistic? How can a rally game be considered realistic when the physics don't even allow you to pull off some of the most frequently used driving techiques in rally racing. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the game, but there's no proper left-foot braking, scandinavian flicks, no using a pendulum to purposely destabilise your car into oversteering etc (fyi all of these techniques work perfectly in Richard Burns Rally).

As someone who owns both games I have to say that the handling and physics in McRae 4 are pure wank compared to how advanced they are in RBR. Richard Burns Rally is already up alongside Mobil 1 Rally Championship and Rally Trophy as my favourite rally sim. My only disappointment are a few bug related issues and that the stages are not longer (though they're still longer than the stages in McRae 4 at least). The graphics are also not amazing, but there's so few proper rally sims out there that I can definitely deal with that.

I'm not even going to bother comparing it to Rallysport Challenge 2 as one is purely arcade and doesn't try to be anything more (unlike McRae) and the other is a pretty hardcore simulation.

Anyway, it's certainly not going to be everyone's cup of tea. Like Papyrus' Grand Prix Legends it's a game that requires some dedication and patience to really get into. I've already seen many people who didn't like it at first as they're used to racing games where the most you need to do to take a corner at insane speed is ease up a little on the throttle - but now the more they play this game the more they love it. And then of course there are others who just can't get past the initial learning curve, fair enough, it's just not a game for them.

I'd recommend it for any rally fan who wants (and is prepared) to get into something more realistic than Colin McRae 4, or fans of the PC rally sims such as Rally Championship and Rally Trophy (though I'd advise waiting for the PC version). You also really want a good force feedback wheel and pedals to properly appreciate this title, and definitely play using the in-car view.
    Last edited by NuclearWinter; 11-07-2004, 15:05.

Comment

Been playing it since the middle of last week on Xbox and although it's tough to get into at first it's one of the most rewarding rally games I've played since Rally Championship on the PC. Suffice to say that if you think CMR or RS2 is the pinacle of rally racing in the home then you're probably not going to get on too well with RBR, it's hardcore to the extreme.

Comment

Just done the 2nd stage of Japan Hakkaido, has alot of forestry and one of the narrowest stages - took enough attempts, just kept making lil mistakes - the need to go flat out on straights is too tempting, ended up paying the price of course! lol i was so close to the end many times, but finally the practice paid off - took just over 9 minutes to complete that stage! whew thank the lord for saveable replays - i didn't make any mistakes or any critital ones which is extremely satisfying!

Comment

I was really looking forward to this but will give it a miss until I'm bored/it's cheaper.
          Such a disppointment, roll on CM05 in October(ish)

Comment

Originally posted by Cold War
            There IS something seriously wrong with the Xbox version of this game.
            That is something of an understatement: I thought it was a joke when I first saw it. I laughed even harder when I found out it was serious.

Comment

Other than encountering the falling through the floor bug once I've not had any other issues with it. Granted the framerate is a little ropey at times, especially when using the in car view, but I find that it's not a problem when using the bumper cam.

Comment

Can anyone say for certain which is the better version? I have this on the x-box, but I'm wondering if I should trade for PS2. I'd miss the left foot braking though, but the framerate is an issue - particularly on the US stages.

I have to say I am extremely impressed with this, and I'm surprised about some of the comments on the forum. It really is worth checking out if you're a rally fan.

Comment

Gamesradar have a PS2 review up although I wasn't aware that it was released on the PS2. If you lot are complaining about Xbox framerates I'd hate to think what the PS2 version is like..

Anyway they awarded it 71% saying that the realism ultimately sucks the fun out of driving and only hardcore sim enthusiasts will love it.

I'm waiting for the PC version myself.

Comment

Had a good play of the PS2 version...

Graphically, it looks poorer than the Xbox version, as to be expected. The liveries don't look quite as crisp and sharp. Colours look slightly more muted. Think Colin McRae 3, but slighty worse.

To put it bluntly, Richard Burns Rally won't win any graphical achievement awards this year.

As for the aformentioned framerate issues, yep, it's more stable and less judder. I need to unlock a few more tracks i know that the Xbox has problems with, before i can make a definite answer, but at the moment the PS2 version is better framerate-wise.
                    You can really tell which courses the Xbox has problems with by choosing:

Japan - Mirka Penoko (There is more judder in the beginning twisty section)
                    USA - Diamond... (second part of the track name escapes me - the one with the mountain and very open course)

Load times i would say are more or less the same. Maybe the PS2 version loses the odd second here or there, but nothing overly long that i've noticed.

In short:
                    PS2
                    + more stable framerate

- looks poorer than the Xbox version

It is really as simple as that.
                    You either buy the PS2 version for a more stable framerate, or the Xbox version for a slightly better visuals/ custom soundtrack.

In two minds over this, since i prefer the less nauseating PS2 version over the slideshow-tastic Xbox framerate. Though apart from minimal graphical differences there's not much more reasons to hang onto the Xbox copy.
                    I'll probably keep the PS2 version in the end.

Comment

Does the PS2 version have 60hz selection? You can just use the bumper-cam view to race and no framerate probs (unless you prefer the other views). Can't really imagine going back to any PS2 racers after getting so used to XBox's analog triggers...

Game progress update: Me radiator died at the end of 2nd stage of Finland, i chose the "Managers advice" for repairs and his advice cost me the race! Advice over the cost of repair times i spose - ahhhh lol oh well, that's realism for ya! hehe

Onto USA now, wide open space with lots of big jumping opportunities: Did really well end of first stage, bit over confident tho, gassed it down at the end, too fast, hit the edge of track and ended up in a tree, engine caught fire, retired... lol

Comment

There is no 60hz mode on the PS2 copy.
                        And yes, i do prefer the external cam - mainly, because i have rubbish spatial awareness and need to know where the backend of the car is, so i don't smack a tree/ rock.

(just a few more observations about the PS2 vs Xbox)

- The external camera is slightly further back in the PS2 version.
                        - When the Xbox's framerate is smooth, it is smoother than the PS2's, but when it hits juddersville, you can notice it. Just watch the backend of the car during a couple of the 'dodgy' framerate areas in Pirka Menoko (JPN) and Diamond Creek (USA)
                        - Watching a replay and as soon as it starts, when the camera is doing a 360 camera spin around the car and the little box pops up detailing the music track that will be playing - there is a slight hiccup in the PS2 copy, in the form a framerate skip. Nothing majorly gameplay important.

Comment

I bought the game (PS2) the day it came out and so far I?m very happy with it.

(all comments for Ps2 version)
                          The framerate is really very solid throughout all of the stages. (but not as smooth as Gran Turismo 3 or Prologue)
                          In replays the framerate is a bit lower overall though.

The game runs supposedly in 60hz. There are no Pal-borders and you can manually center the screen if you wish.

The support for the Driving Force Pro steering wheel is excellent:
                          - you can chose how much degreeds the wheel should be able to turn (e.g. have it turn 540? or 720? etc.)
                          - the force feedback gives you a very good idea how your wheels are interacting with the track (best feedback I have experienced so far)

The tracks are very challenging - you need to be concentrated all the time:
                          A little bit too much speed here and in the next corner the race can be over immediately!
                          (if you want, you can chose realistic damage, less damage, no damage etc. ..)

The graphics are overall a little bland/ colourless, but they are not bad at all. (they just tend to be quite realistic)

Sounds are very nice as well and make good use of Dolby Surround.
                          (the car engine sound changes drastically if you *accidentally* lose a door, for example)

Now, compared to CMR 'Richard Burns Rally' is the much superior game - if you want tense and realistic rally action.
                          RBR has some weaknesses in the interface and graphics, but the physics and tracks definitely make up for it.
                          The rally school is also a nice feature to ease you into the game.
                          (can?t comment on the season mode as I?m still playing around with the cars in quick rally)

Comment

Trust me, it aint got no 60hz - it just runs more or less full-ish screen.

As for the Xbox version...
                            I'm absolutely livid.
                            In career mode i've got upto the USA rally, and completed SS1 to SS4, and as soon as it tries to load SS5 i get the 'dirty disk/ please clean... yadda yadda' so i thought "ok, i will"
                            The second time i got to the same point, another dirty disk error.
                            The third time another dirty disk error, all at the same point.

By this time, i've wasted nearly an hour and a half doing this. Livid i tell you.

Before the snide comments come through about the game being a burn or the console is in poor condition.
                            I purchased the console last christmas/ samsung drive (though modded with X2 lite) with hardly any use. I've put the Enigmah video select back to PAL. And the game is retail.
                            Last edited by jimtendo; 13-07-2004, 20:49.

Comment

Originally posted by geektanic weezmacht
                              Trust me, it aint got no 60hz - it just runs more or less full-ish screen.
                              You are probably right there.
                              But at least it seems to be optimised for 50hz audience. (as far as I know there is no ntsc release!?!)

The Xbox version, however, really seems messed up.
                              So, bear in mind that all my comments above are based on the PS2 version of the game.

Until the PC version is released the Ps2 version is probably the only way to really enjoy the game...

Comment

The dirty disc problem happens to me occasionaly on RSC2. It was the first game to have this problem. Maybe there is a problem at the disc duplication factory or somehow the discs are different. I don`t know the reason, but I do know something weird is going on.

Comment

Working...
                                X