X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comeeeeeeeeeeee on tomorrowwwwwwwww...

Comment

Originally posted by nonny

In short, it plays all regions in PAL60 and its still smooth. Oh and to the person who said the NTSC version looks poor on Xbox, are you running it interlaced or 480P? Its just I play on a projector in 480P and it looks amazing.
      I'm running it interlaced I guess, meaning that I'm using the regular cables on my JVC 28" tv

I have seen screenshots of it and it looks stunning, nearly on par with NFSU, but there's just so much aliasing and the textures don't look great. I guess, the bigger the TV, the more loss in detail?

I dunno. It doesn't look as good as BO2 imo.

Comment

I'm playing the Xbox version on a 28" widescreen TV and it's easily one of the best looking games I've witnessed, a step up from BO2 definitely. It has also displays one of the sharpest images I've seen too, no aliasing, just a higher-res than most games.
        Last edited by MonkeyWrench; 10-09-2004, 07:12.

Comment

I had a play of this in the local Gamestation on a big Plasma and it looked absolutely gorgeous. Someone was complaining about the textures - bah! They're miles better than BO2. And having the leaf shadows on the road - nice.

The only thing that grates is your opponents wanting to crash into you more than wanting to win the race... But then this is BO going off on a tangent rather than an evolution.

Fingers crossed for BO3:BTB, where they use this graphics engine and the philosophy from BO1.

Comment

A few hours on this last night.

Superb. Maybe a little easy though, getting golds doesn't appear to be much of a problem, but then again I'd be whining if I was truggling to get bronze.

Another projector player here, excellent quality.

What with this and Outrun2 I have a feeling GT4 is going to disappoint me.

My 4.5 yr old daughter has been playing, she loves it when the 'blue fire' comes and she can go 'really fast Dad'. Sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny
              Ok I am now 96% complete in single player after an assault on crash mode last night, which I have to say is completely simple to get gold in for all but a few levels.

That took me from 70% up to where I am now and I unlocked the World Circuit Racer (F1) car for use along with all the crash mode vehicles and it means I only have 3 more races left in the world tour to finish which are all in the US region.

As well as that I went online last night to find my ranking had dropped from 40 to 520!... so the game is out everywhere now huh!? Anyway the good news is with it set to PAL60 you can indeed play NTSC regions like the US and JPN. I was playing in a mates local server here in Sydney and we had one guy from Canada, one from Florida, one from Leeds in the UK and one from Japan as well... quite a cosmopolitan crowd to be honest!

According to the in-lobby connection speed indicator on the far right they were all fluctuating between 1-2 red bars which is poor speed and yet there was still no lag ingame from what we could tell. Hard to pinpoint whether the game actually hides lag at all but the collision detection appeared fair throughout.

In short, it plays all regions in PAL60 and its still smooth. Oh and to the person who said the NTSC version looks poor on Xbox, are you running it interlaced or 480P? Its just I play on a projector in 480P and it looks amazing.

How hard are the preview laps with the F1 car? I am really struggling on them. I am on about 50% complete now and the bloody game crashed on me last night during the US Circuit Racer Grand Prix (4 GPs). Crashed on the last lap of the last race! Grrr!!

Also, how are you playing your PAL Xbox in prog scan? Is it modded to run in prog scan? But then how do you go on Live? Or do Australian PAL Xboxs have prog scan in the dashboard?

Thanks!
              Last edited by dc-arena; 10-09-2004, 08:30.

Comment

whats the drifting like? im a sucker for drifting

Comment

Originally posted by Ion
                  whats the drifting like? im a sucker for drifting

It very basic indeed. If you're expecting SEGA levels of drifting you'll be disapointed.. The whole handling model is very basic to be honest, but its very enjoyable at the same time.

Comment

I don't agree - there is a lot of drifting skill needed when you use the boost.

Neil.

Comment

I'm with you there Neil, drifting in BO3 is a fine art, probably more so than Outrun 2

Comment

I disagree, I can happily drift round hairpins in the F1 car in burnout with boost on, but I just cant seem to "get" the handling model in Outrun, meaning I am 1st or there abouts online for 2/3s of the course, then i get pwned at the end.

I think the handling in BO3 is far more predictable. Still, theres nothing to beat the feeling when you are proper in the zone and making it all look easy

Comment

Drifting in Outrun 2 is a piece of piss compared to Burnout 3, spent at least half an hour trying to get gold on one of the preview tracks in the F1 car last night thanks to the somewhat twitchy and unpredictable handling of that thing.

The handling in Outrun is a lot more refined and as a result I enjoy it more than BO's but Burnout's gameplay mechanics don't particularly call for precise handling, it focuses more on sheer speed and taking down opponents which obviously keeps me entertained as I was up till 3 last night after 6 hours of solid play.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarkster
                            I disagree, I can happily drift round hairpins in the F1 car in burnout with boost on, but I just cant seem to "get" the handling model in Outrun, meaning I am 1st or there abouts online for 2/3s of the course, then i get pwned at the end.

I think the handling in BO3 is far more predictable. Still, theres nothing to beat the feeling when you are proper in the zone and making it all look easy
                            eh? its easy, but soooo much fun.

In Outrun2 you control the drift with a combination of subtle steering and gas pedal inputs. The gas is the critical one though. Less gass = tighter arc, more gas = wider arc. The steering is then used to modify the angle of the drift and for switching drift directions.

Thats it really.

Comment

ahh cheers, ill have a go tonight. see if that helps me any. was finding that by driving smoothly without drifts I could keep up with the others on live, but the third stage was where it went all wrong, will give it some more time.

Comment

?32.99 in Safeway / Morrisions = Bargain!

Comment

Working...
                                X