No announcement yet.

KoF: Maximum Impact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clark....limiting? Th?t's ? Nish Nish! The brer's a rangemonster!

Bruv have you seen or played a good Clark player? You may as well put the stick down! XD Clark, Goro Daimon and Yashiro deal out some absolutely disgusting beatings.

You can leg it full blast at people and grab them, he has a grab as air defense, he can elbow drop after these grabs - you can even combinate his super grabs of striking attacks - the guy is a destructive force.
    Last edited by Saurian; 17-08-2004, 13:44.

Comment

Well i got told!

But id say iori is a better character, people say he's jus a ryu/ken but he plays a lot deeper. The style in which he performs his move make him appear vulnerable at time when he is actually coming back at you. As for the dash that clarks got, iori's got ones which you could link moves on all over the place. I found clarks air throw to be cheesy and his fast punches is also an e.honda eheese fest. But if you play with throws and cheese special moves which knock off energy then i guess its fine.

Oh and i dont play with sticks im a pad man, sticks limit me too much! ive got small hands bruv! give a brother some slack! We asians aint got big ass hands! ^_~

Comment

Oh bruv - CMON!

Comment

AS IF anyone's going to play as any character other than Mingnon. Honestly. She's fit. She falls over after her super special fireball, and squeals. I'm going to marry her.

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
            You are being too harsh on the game - as usual. If you want to stand there and hit a button repeatedly that's up to you - but when I was watching a friend who's a damn good KOF head play it wasnt anything like you explained.

The combo system is actually more like Real Bout - and it's a lot of fun, any game where you have Raging Storm into Double Reppu-Ken happening after basic exploration of the system is TINGS!

It's a simplified game in relation to the past KOF games, they most likely want to try and appeal to lighter players too - but simplicity doesnt mean it's rubbish, it's fun like Rival Schools (OTT but not too OTT)
            What so to celebrate 10 years of KoF they release a game that plays nothing like it...

Interesting theory.

If they wanna simplify the game to try and appeal to a larger audience that's up to them...

I'm not saying its a **** game, I'm saying being a KoF fan I'm currently a little disappointed by it.

I do happen to agree with you on the Clark Goro and Yashiro (orochi) characters....Especially Goro (98'), he's a f*cking demon
            Last edited by Goemon; 17-08-2004, 17:37.

Comment

Got this yesterday and managed to spend an hour on it so far.
              Seems pretty nice up to now- especially for Playmore's first foray into 3D this gen. The system is a bit simplified compared to the regular KOF but you can tell they've actually spent a bit of time on this rather than the normal recycled-to-death bollocks (although I thought KOF 2003 was pretty friggin good after 2001 and 2002). I've found it pretty fun just pissing about with the game so far but I'll have a proper dig at it tonight. I've actually found it a bit refreshing after the KOFs of recent years, and then Playmore have always got the opportunity to make a full-on, proper 2D KOF with 2004.
              It's funny and sad at the same time to see the neo zealots **** on this game from the get-go just because it's 3D. Their loss I suppose.

Comment

I ended up getting this from PA yesterday, if it's likened to Rival Schools, then I'll be a happy chappy.
                Last edited by Bleeders; 18-08-2004, 08:33.

Comment

It is not exactly like rival schools.

Most ppl compared it with rival shools because it's one of those
                  'fun but not serious 3D 'fighter.

The combo engine is different, the defensive engine is different...

KOF MI imo, is one seriously fun game.

But I think, 2D gamers in generally, esp KOF fans..might be going half the time when not accustomed to 3D rules..such a flop, stagger, struggle to get up just so to avoid giving opponents free unecessary damage etcetc.

I had a bunch of old school kof fans over at my place and had them scratching their heads when i explained the concept of struggling and different 'falling down' animations to them...

Outta all the KOF titles since 99...this title showed the most innovation ever produced under the KOF umbrella. They really injected alot of new 'ideas' into the series such as evade aka VF style, flops, hit lvls, different type of hit effects such as wall stagger n such, wall pressure tactics, guard crush, no force guarding, which allows us to instantly counter any one guaranteed chain done by opponents etc.

Unfortunately, what kept the game from going to seriously fun(good) to 'omfg..what a great game' is the engine design.

Specifically, not being able to TR or recover quickly after a sweep is pure stupidity..

After eating a sweep, ur character goes into a 'flop' animation, a term better known to VFers. Even so, in VF..u can indeed combo an opponent once they are in a 'flop' stage. However, at least u cannot rack up insane 140pts of damage from a mere 'sweep' in VF.

Thankully, all sweeps in any 3D game that I have come across are rather slow in execution..so u can easily guard it based on reaction.

However, once u are guard crushed, ur character is staggered and in that phase, opponents get a free sweep...tada! sa good bye to hp.

For the time being, it appears Kyo n K and a few others are really strong due to their ability to rack up good damage from a mere sweep. But I would really fear Kyo not for his sweep or his super good low k, low p chain. It is his f+ light k that scares me. Excellent reach, safe, excellent damage because you can combo out of it.

I've come across complaints that kyo's low light k into low light p chain is too strong becos of the frame adv it gives to Kyo on a guard. Honestly speaking..after dealing with so many 11frame punch + adv on guard in VF..**** like that no longer gives me any pressure. Plus, in a game where characters have moves that are invincible during execution..aka ur classic dragon punch class moves, I won't exactly run in and use low light k as my opening move. Rock's 360 throw is even better than a shoryuken class move! Not only can it be buffered (making it a hit throw), u can cancel ur moves with it..extending the reach of the throw. Lastly but not least, it can even be used to counter incoming supers...aka Iori. I was truly suprised that the same 'invincibility' during the execution of gief's 360 in ST made it into KOF MI. But wth, it made my day

The are other tiny bits that makes the game go >.<. However, it hasn't been enough to stop my group from having fun with the game.

GFX wise, I am impressed with it. It is no VF or SC2 standards that's for sure.
                  Given the company's history with their 3D tryouts...KOF MI is easily their best in terms of GFX (and gameplay 3D wise). I mean, they managed to bring alot of their 2D moves, and combat style n not make the characters look foolish is a plus. Instead, alot of the old moves and new moves are done very well in 3D. Good job to the motion capture team.

However, their win poses...alot of them are...ugh >.< They should have designed new poses..that's for sure. I mean, a big part of cool 3D win poses are the characters' facial expression during the pose. Akira looks determined, Lau is totally arrogant etc etc.

But here, often enuff..it comes out all wrong... Ryo looks like a monkey 10/10 times. Perhaps it is an intentional thing by SNK? Maybe they were thinking that 'it's only a POSE..no big deal'. On that note, I am inclined to agree with them. That is, if that is what they thought all along. If they thought the poses were cool................

The backgrounds in the game are rather nice. It's all based on a 'cage' concept...aka VF style. Some of the stages have daytime, evening and night time settings. I like this sorta gimmicks ^^.

NOTE : One of the stages (Disco) has the same problem as the ps2 port of SC2...when it gets intensive with all the efx, the frames suffers abit...but not enuff to change the outcome of a fight. Usually, it happens after u do a super. Which is a shame, because the stage is such a nice concept n different from any fighting game that I've come acrossed.

Music wise, it's pretty ok. The BGM in acient city stage truly stands out. The rest are acceptable/enjoyable. It is a hell lot better than the tunes in the recent KOF games that's for sure. But of coz, music is all a matter of personal preference at the end of the day

In terms of unlockable..all chracters have a total of 6 costumes...not limited to 1p or 2p side. Alot of them look rather good. Rock fans should check out Rock's special easter costume. It's such a kick ass costume. Seeing Iori in a brand new hair style n new costume made me feel all 95 all over again.

And since character customization is the in thing for 3D fighters nowadays...u can choose to equip ur characters with items as well. Again, it is a nice touch by SNK.

In order to unlock the costumes/stages...u need to complete mission mode.

Now in mission mode..SNK DESERVES TO BE SHOT.
                  Unlike quest mode in VF where skills decides what you earn, mission mode in KOF MI is full of completely ridiculous hands down, dumbest missions I have ever seen. It makes the quests in SC2 seem like a work of genius. Although it only took me a little more than 1 and 1/2 hrs to finish all 40 missions, I wish I didn't have to do it just so i can unlock the cool bonuses.

I truly do like this game heaps. Any fighting game that can make me put VF aside and play it = good.

Endo made a good point abt zelots ****ting this game. Online n irc, there have been comments like ; 'this is broken ****! 70% combo! this character is broken! too good! Chain attack sucks! etc etc etc etc etc' The most ridiculous comment I've come across from someone who's never played the game but felt confident enough to comment on it is ' Chae Lim is kim after a sex change'. anyone?

Zero 3 anyone?
                  3S chunlik mid k into SA2 anyone?
                  Overpowered OS in VF2 anyone?

3 games mentioned above are totally fun games, yet they have the same (similar) supposedly 'flaws' as KOF MI.

Yes indeed, in the 3 games mentioned above, there are ways to protect yourself..like any good fighting game will allow you to have multiple layers of yomi in every round.

The same can be apllied to KOF MI. Strangely enuff, ****ting on KOF and specifically, at SNK is always justified. Must be a popular thang to do online.

Comment

Thanks for the impressions fella.

Is Kim in this iteration?

Comment

Chae Lim has all of kim's special moves...plus a whole lot more of her own...

It's a nice depiction of Tae kwon Do...

Oh btw...there are quite a number of cameos in the game..plus...the 3Ded a very popular 95 stage^^

Also, for the hardcore fans, spot the KOF illustration that became a background in KOF MI~!

apologize in advance...in my earlier post..I meant to say 'any NON guaranteed chains can be countered instantly'...not ' any ONE guaranteed'..but my IE glitched by I posted that post...so now, if I attempt to edit the post, IE crashes...
                      Last edited by SummAh; 18-08-2004, 11:57.

Comment

Summah ?

Summah from VFDC ?
                        If so what are you doing on here

Comment

hush little baby, don't say a word!!!!

Comment

I spent most of the weekend with this -

If it was the devolopers intention to make a game that draws new players to KOF I feel they have suceeded. It's nowhere near as tight as any of the 2D KOF games, it's so much easier to get characters down quickly as you dont need to learn the exact timing for chains as characters have preset S.arts (preset, per character chain combos). Buffering in specials and supers is also very easy as the game seems to give you supers even if the command input is not 100% correct.

It can be played on many levels, on one hand you have the easy-to-do preset chains - some launch, some knockdown, some knock away; which link easily into specials and supers like I said. On the other hand manual combos are also possible, which is where the draw of the game is for me: it has certain elements of a 3D beat em up such as command striking attacks (for example forward-forward +heavy punch is a perfect launcher with K') - you can string together massive combos using the simple chains, manual strikes into specials into supers. More stuff which is hilarious is that catch throws and supers will connect even if the opponent has already hit the floor - for example (Clark: Jumping hard kick, light punch, hard punch, back-forward hard punch, hard punch (to launch) > catch throw, down-down/up-up +K/P)

It's like Real Bout or Wild Ambition all over again - it's not by any means a really good VS game (not complete **** like Streetfighter EX series, the system is perfectly competant but just a little too loose to make VS play really worthwhile), but as a single player sandbox game where you explore the game system and discover combos I find it very enjoyable and it makes me want to play '98 BADLY! >_<
                            Last edited by Saurian; 23-08-2004, 14:27.

Comment

I suspected as much - cheers for the impressions

Can't wait for my copy to arrive.

Comment

Heh! What a surprising batch of impressions! I might even buy this when I see it for under ?20. It'll be a good one for my mates I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                                X