No announcement yet.

Super MarioBall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever you do don't turn the game off when in game however frustrated you get. It will delete all your progress and doors you've unlocked
    Much better to save and quit or just allow yourself to die. You'll lose your score but at least you won't have to repeat process of unlocking the levels.

As for the criticisms aired here, I don't agree with them really. The ball does feel funny at 1st, I found it pinged around too much. But after a bit it feels right. As for the enemies, they regenerate after a while so it's not for the long the screen is devoid of enemies. Because of the way you progress (defeat all on screen enemies for a star) it would make it too hard if the screen was constantly filled with enemies, how would you progress if it was? Also it can get frustrating when you're trying to achieve coin tasks only to be stopped by an enemy.

As for the comparisons with the games, I have them all but feel Mario is significantly different and as such can't really be compared to anything other than possibly the sweet Kirby Pinball.

Personally I've found the game fun but frustrating, but give it time and it grows on you. I really quite like it now

Comment

Another thing I've just found is what the Yoshi Egg object does:

Buy a Yoshi egg from Toad. On the level there will be a screen that on the floor has a Yoshi block. When on this screen activate the object with B and it will throw up another new scenario.

Particular mention should go to the boss from the ice level
      Finding him is cool and then when you get to fight him the way he increases in size like a baloon being pumped up, reminiscent of a Yoshi Island boss, is incredibly cool and impressive.

Another really cool thing is with Mony Mole.He pops up on all the levels, you have to hit him repeatedly to kill him. Defeat him, go back and do it again and he turns into a cow. Dunno why, but it's top.

Just done all 4 of the bosses from the main menu and fortunately it doesn't mean the end of the game like I said earlier. However I'm a little worried about the length of the game. I have been playing it all morning since it arriving from Play Asia, for like 4 hours non stop or so (besides posting here), and think I've opened up most of the stuff. I'm sure the time trial mode will add more content, and collecting ALL the stars will be difficult, but clearing it once seems to be taking a disappointingly short amount of time.

Saying that I still need to collect more blue coins to buy some of the more outlandish looking items.BTW there is no language barrier with the game, anybody who wants it shouldn't wait for PAL or US, the JPN is 100% playable.
      Last edited by bowser123; 28-08-2004, 13:43.

Comment

Right, I've delved a lot deeper into Mario Pinball and It's slowly growing on me.

You can't really 'die' whilst playing the game as you have far too many things that aid you in your quest for all the stars but I think that is it's appeal.

It's a long experience trying to get all the stars and whether one can be bothered or not trying to do it is another thing. I'm taking this as a 'pick up and carry on where I left off' sort of game. It's the sort of game which you can't really get that bored of if you're on a long plane journey abroad.

Playing this game brings back memories of Super Mario World for me (I missed out on Mario 64) - There are definitely a few puzzlers that will be familiar for all the Mario fans out there.

Another thing that gets the big thumbs up for me are the graphics.
        It really is great looking game.

Comment

Don't know if you've all seen this already, but here's a link to the Japanese TV Commercial.

It certainly looks to me to be the best looking GBA game out there at the moment...can't wait for mine to arrive.

Comment

Thanks for the link !!

Just watched that little tv ad and i must say it looks really good

Comment

I just managed to complete this yesterday with 31 stars.

I have to admit I enjoyed it whilst it lasted but is there any incentive for me to get the other stars. Not now, imo...

Comment

Hmmm... I've completed this 100% now with all 35 stars!
                No extra special ending for it either!

I definitely won't be coming back to this.

Comment

NTSC-uk review forthcoming.

It's definitely enjoyable in a `ooh, lots of Mario references` kinda way, and it is easy to kill quite a bit of time just defeating enemies, etc. However, the big problem is the movement of the ball around the screen. Two things seem to make this a problem: the weird physics, and the widescreen nature of the GBA. The flippers just don't seem to be placed right. All too often flipping the ball at all seems to just result in Mario doing a lap around the edge of the screen because of the momentum he's already built up. Actually hitting specific objects when you want to can seem next to impossible at times, which is just not the way a pinball game should be.

Technically a marvel, but gameplay wise, a touch too random and frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                  X