Virtua Fighter 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtua Fighter 2

OK its out now, got it today. Impressions, well first off, as the intro starts, with shun-di doing his thing, i noticed that there was some framerate drop at certain points of the intro, don't know if this is in the arcade - as its running at 57.5fps - same as arcade apparently?.

Into the game, character graphics seems to be pretty much spot on, however some textures on certain stages have been downsampled somewhat, strangely they are blurry along with the floor texture but its not too bad. I also noticed the colors in the game were abit pale/washed out compared to the Saturn version for some reason.

There is 2.0 and 2.1 version to choose from along with arrange/original music/effects, the speed of response seems to be slower, obviously as it an older game of the series, but once you get into the flow of things its all good. It's a shame they did'nt include VF1 arcade as well tho.

Overall, its probably the closest version to owning the arcade, despite a few niggles, the gameplay along with the 3d backgrounds is all there.

Btw, i also got a "VF2 Technical archive for Virtua Junkies" booklet with the game, shows all combos etc, which is nice

Now, any chance of Sega releasing this on Xbox along with the rest of the series I wonder?

See above for a comparisson of the ps2 and arcade versions, seems it's hard to perfectly port a 10 year old game still. ^_^ A PERFECT vf port still awaits....(final tuned on xbrick maybe!.........)

Comment

What the hell... this is the only VF first play thread we have? Would I be hung, drawn and quartered for asking a VF4 Evo question here? It's just I need help!

Trying to beat the challenges in the trial option, and I've gotten through 3 of the first section on guarding but the last one is totally screwed up. You have to guard 10 consecutive attacks from Akira while at a disadvantage, and he will mix up a low punch, mid punch and high throw. The high throw is the killer - when you fail the advice says to buffer in a crouching dash and then block high to stop mid attacks. In order to get this down I abandoned any thoughts of blocking the punches and just continuously battered in crouching dashes - every throw catches me no matter when I do the dash. I can see the dash animation starting sometimes so what the hell am I missing?

Comment

Why were people on the GA Forum surprised that the PS2 looked **** compared to Model 2? The machine has always had a reputation for appalling textures, and optimising the vertical resolution was a problem that most developers were completely unable to achieve.

Comment

I'm not sure, but I think this was the main Evo thread at the time.

Comment

Working...
          X