Daigasso! Band brothers NDS JPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daigasso! Band brothers NDS JPN

Out of all the ds launch games this is my most favourite one.

It's the first (and hopefully) not last music game from nintendo. For anyone who has played any of konami's bemani series of games will get the hang of this pretty quickly.

Theres a decent amount of songs in the game & anyone who has played donkey konga might recognise a few familiar tunes. Sadly due to the size of the cart theres no singing, the songs are all instumental. After you choose your song you then get to pick from a list of instruments which you will then play the song with, Each instument has a different difficulty level.

As the timing bar scrolls down the song you have to press either the cross pad/touch screen or the XYBA buttons so it matches the pattern of the song. On easy you only have to worry about hitting the buttons on the right or the cross pad & occasionally the touch screen. But in expert each individual direction & button need to be pressed making it really challenging.

The multiplayer mode looks promising but as of yet nobody near me has a ds. I have also been playing round in the edit mode & it looks like you can record your on tunes by humming into your ds. The mic picks it up & converts it into notes. Im going to have a play with that later.

Last thing that impressed me was the presentation of the game. Instead of a manual there are 3 posters which have all the game instructions on the back, they are really nice & are made to look like music flyers. Also bundled free in the box is a snazzy pair of clear blue earphones (bonus)

Nice thoughts on the game. So what is the language barrier like? Also from what you have played so far is it worth getting for someone who is very unlikely to ever link up with another player?

Comment

Seconded.

Comment

Love the box and flyers! :-)

Sounds good, but sounds a little too much like Pop'n Music, which is pure hell using d-pad and face buttons to play when you crank up the difficulty.

Can you play it all via the touch-screen or do you HAVE to use some face buttons to hit some of the notes? Any ideas on number of songs?

Comment

Originally posted by importaku
          it looks like you can record your on tunes by humming into your ds. The mic picks it up & converts it into notes.
          That sounds absolutely brilliant, I hope it works well.

I know you dont have another DS to try out multiplayer but I was wondering if you know if multiplayer works with only one cart or does each player need their own copy of the game?

EDIT: Found out that it is only one game card for multiplayer which is excellent news.
          Last edited by lordcookie; 08-12-2004, 15:20.

Comment

Been playing it more this evening im still really loving it. Right to answer a few questions.

Theres 35 songs in total, im not sure if theres any hidden ones to unlock. Some are great & some are **** so its just like donkey konga

There is some japanese but to be honest its pretty intuitave to work out what everything does. But if any of you get stuck i can always do a translation guide.

It plays a bit like pop n music but dont be put off by that (its nowhere near as menally hard as that, hehe well till you get to expert mode anyway). In easy mode you only have to worry about either hitting the cross pad / touch screen or the any of the XYBA buttons. The difficulty depends on what instrument you select to play the song with. For example bass guitar has slow long notes that are easy but if you choose drums you have to press like a maniac. As far as im aware you can't just play using the touch pad.

In expert you have to hit all the different buttons/directions & the touch pad. So theres plenty of challenge if you get good at it.

I can recommend it even if your not intending to use multiplayer but seeing as you only need 1 copy of the game to use multiplay you might find a fellow ds user & be able to jam with them. Im really looking forward to trying it out. Having all your mates playing different parts of the same song sounds so much fun.
            Last edited by importaku; 08-12-2004, 19:29.

Comment

I also think the "what you hum is what you get" editor sounds brilliant. I would like to know more about that... does it allow you to make songs of the same quality as the in-built tracks? And even better, can you play user-created songs in multiplayer?

Comment

Click

Its the Full Metal Alchemist intro... i think

Comment

That's pretty awesome

One question though (Importaku?) - they're all using the d-pad/face buttons to play... do you have to use this method or can it be done entirely using the touch screen? How easy is it if so?

Cheers

Comment

The game cannot be played only using the touchscreen. The touch screen icon pops up while you playing a song when you hit the screen it autoplays a small section of the song for you.

Comment

This sounds excellent, I think it just may be my next DS game.

The box looks aces as well.

Comment

I bought a copy of Daigasso ! Band Brothers today after Importaku's recommendation and I can honestly say hat I'm happy with the purchase. At first I was a bit miffed that the songs had no vocals and that the general quality of the instruments isn't really that much better than what my phone can produce (which kicks arse by the way) but after getting over that I found myself enjoying a very good music game. The game is different enough from all the others to keep even the hardened music game freak happy. Loads of songs which are mostly good even though as Importaku said there are a few cack ones.

One section that I really like is the ability to create your very own songs using the voice recognition feature. Since I'm tone deaf I decided to try and sample a track from Final Fantasy 6 using SPC tracks. At first this didn't work out well since the DS can't distinguish between base, drum and the main track. So I ran the SPC through super Jukebox and took away all the music tracks apart from the main tune. So after that it was time to play the song again with the one track only producing the main tune. The DS captured this quite well enabling me to make a Final Fantasy 6 song on my DS

Overall Daigasso ! Band Brothers is indeed a fine bit of software that will keep you amused for hours.

Yakumo

Comment

I have managed now to get up to level 5 in the recording studio. With each level you complete you get harder key patterns for your instruments.

My god some of the songs are really hard not only do you have the 8 main buttons to deal with but now the L & R buttons come into play as well (eek). Good thing is my rank has gone up as well im now semi professional.

Comment

can you write a quick start up guide?? I don't know how to start a single player game (I see a door, but I can only push a back button )

edit:
                            Just started a single player thanks Papercut
                            Last edited by Koizumi; 15-12-2004, 17:48.

Comment

wait until the studio girl has finishing blabbing at you, then press on the door...

I'm a little behind importaku on this, studio level 4 at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X