Chokkan Hitofude DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chokkan Hitofude DS

Just be wondering over the last week about games that really challenge yourself mentally, not just colour matching puzzles, or OOO wheres the key, but a head scratching puzzle. And then arrived Chokkan Hitofude for the DS.

The premise is basic, flip over the squares so a line will wipeout, but currently it seems you have to flip over all the square in one continous line, and so the whole block, 5x5 disappears in one go. You get a 6x6 grid to work on though so you can skip in and out of the 5x5 grid of blocks.

Basically is very puzzley and quite addictive... and I think I am only on the tutorial.

Actually that IS just the tutorial, there are a few other modes going on here. Score chasing, grading, time based, puzzle modes.... I need me katakana book, and not to be at work.

Comment

Its probably been posted (somewhere) but this title is only $28 (~?15) at play-asia. Get it while you can.

Comment

Originally posted by hub
        Its probably been posted (somewhere) but this title is only $28 (~?15) at play-asia. Get it while you can.
        Yep, already snapped up a copy for myself. I went for the cheap shipping option so it'll be a while before I see it no doubt, still for ~?16 it should be worth it.

Comment

Well I have just ordered it... hope its good

Comment

What is the language barrier like on this game?

Comment

Anyone got any deeper impressions of the game? Or maybe some videos of it in action? Play-Asia's price is so tempting but with both Zoo Keeper and Driller on the way I can resist it unless it's really good.

Comment

Check out IGN for some lengthy video demonstrations. Looks excellent to me. And even though I was going to hang around for the US launch I couldn't help caving in when I saw that play asia deal.

Comment

Im tempted but the japanese is putting me off tbh. Funny that, being the Jap version.

Comment

Got this on the way bought of lik sang before the play deal, and they didnt ship till after the play deal. Ahhh well, looks good though games are starting to stack up mario wario this zoo keeper driller.

Comment

Theres not much japanese in it. Only a few menu'sall of which can be worked out easily.

Comment

My copy of this arrived today, loving it so far. Perfect handheld game in my opinion. Something you can just quickly switch on, do a couple of puzzles then put away till later.

Seems a little bit heavy text wise at first when you get to the main menu, but with a little exploring you'll soon figure whats what.

Comment

Played this quite a lot recently, it's probably my favourite launch game alongside Wario. Initially it can be quite daunting, especially as the tutorial is quite convoluted and confusing. A little trial and error reveals a bit of a gem of a game.

The main menu initially is daunting, however it's fairly simple to navigate. Here's a rough break down for the bottom touch screen menu:

Challenge...........Checkmate
                          .......Arcade
                          .......Practice
                          .......Score
                          Multiplayer..................Misc

The menus in the middle only appear when you choose a mode and are specific to each mode. The ones listed are specific to challenge mode only.

For checkmate the middle options are:
                          Puzzle
                          Edit mode to create own puzzle and retrieve old ones

For multiplayer, dunno.

For misc:
                          Tutorial
                          Transfer demos/levels to 2nd player
                          Options

I've found the checkmate mode most compulsive, it reminds me lots of Denki Blocks. There are so many puzzles in there it will keep you going for ages.
                          Out of interest do people trace the lines or employ a "stab" technique? I personally use the stab method, basically touching certain points and letting the DS fill the gaps in. For example if I wanted to make the letter L I'd do this:

OXXXXXXXXX
                          XXXXXXXXXX
                          XXXXXXXXXX
                          XXXXXXXXXX
                          XXXXXXXXXX
                          OXXXXXXXX O

The blue O's are where I "stab" the screen.
                          Then the DS will fill in all the points in a line between the O's with a double tap of the last O.

My only complaint is the slightly drab colour scheme. I know it's only a puzzle game but it could have done with some colour or mad cap anime style graphics in the background.
                          Still, it's cool.
                          Last edited by bowser123; 18-12-2004, 20:00. Reason: Updated with corrections from JamesS

Comment

Originally posted by bowser123
                            For checkmate the middle options are:
                            Puzzle
                            Password
                            That second option is edit mode where you can create your own puzzles. You get two icons on the screen you get when you select it. The first icon gives you a password for any of your user levels (or lets you enter one for a level somebody else has made). The second icon brings up the editor where you can draw your own puzzles.

Originally posted by bowser123
                            Transfer scores to 2nd player?
                            I think that's the option to transfer a demo version of the game to another DS. I'll try it out on Monday if I remember. Also lets you transfer user levels between carts, I think.

Oh, I'm a tracer, by the way.

Comment

Cheers for the correction James, I've updated the post. Never realized it was a create your own puzzle, just saw "Password NG" and presumed there was nothing more to it. Had a quick dabble at creating my own puzzles, they're ****!
                              It's a nice mode, and I imagine with a decent FAQ it could be an excellent mode.
                              I take it that the 1-20 numbers are the spaces where you can save your own puzzles once made/loaded?

It also throws up the option of us lot making our own, printing off the password and then anybody can play it by manually entering the code.
                              Ingenious that is, actually.

Comment

Working...
                              X