Mr Driller Drill Spirits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr Driller Drill Spirits

Been caning this most of the weekend and it's great stuff.

Using the Stylus is much too slow and sluggish to be of any use and is little more than a gimmick. If you stick to the standard D-pad though you'll have no problems and will soon be drilling away to your heart's content.

The new Drill boss mode (or whatever it's called) is pretty cool (and it also appears that you can start this game with bonuses that you've collected from the adventure game)

Despite being in Japanese it's a piece of piss to play through the main games and it's only the adventure mode (that's missing from the US version) that I'm having difficulty with (I'm still trying to work out what the different coloured gems do).

Not had a chance to test the multiplayer yet, but will do on Monday when I'm back in work.

A lot of sites have been slating this because it doesn't utilise the second screen or DS features very well, but in my opinion a great game is a great game regardless. I'd rather see Namco try and implement different control methods (which sadly don't work) and give you choice, rather than not bother at all and opting for a cheap port.

If you're the kind of person that expects all DS games to utilise its capapbilities, then sure, this will disappoint. If however you want a great little game that's incredibly addictive and easy to play, then Drill Spirits is a must.

I'd echo those sentiments, Drill Spirits is good stuff indeed. I haven't got into the adventure yet, but I've been caning arcade mode.

I'm enjoying the second screen here too. I find myself glancing at it and making decisions at really precarious moments

Comment

I had a quick blast and thought it was quite cool also need to figure out wtf you are meant to do though

Comment

If anyone knows what all the diffrent coloured jewels in adventure mode do I'd love to know

Comment

I expect it's the same as the Drunga mode from Drill Land on the Cube - there is a list over at gamefaqs for this game. May help...

Comment

I like this game, tried out the multiplayer option with me bro today.

I got the Jap version so only need 1 cart, takes about 10-15 seconds to download to other DS, from what we gathered its just a race from top to bottom with the other mr driller being on your screen but just so that he is just visible.

Don't know whether theres much else to it, only seems to be 1 level?,and for some reason the DS that it downloaded onto had no sound?.

Apart from those niggly problems its great.

Comment

I have never really been a fan of the series but as I got this game along with the DS I thought I would give it ago and Im still not a fan of the series. There isn't anything in the game that utilises the capabilities of the host machine, and whilst I agree with Strider that a good game is a good game regardless, the stylus control was just plain crap. The second screen was an advantage but I still think the definitive (handheld version at least) is for the Wonderswan Colour. Oh and this was the US version which surprise, surprise has less features than the JPN version.

Comment

It looks to me like there is a whole bunch of extra multi player games to unlock in single player first.

Had a bash of multi today, and the race game is very similar to Drill Land.

Comment

Originally posted by lordcookie
                  There isn't anything in the game that utilises the capabilities of the host machine
                  The mode I've played the most is the Pressure Driller one. It wouldn't work as well if the spider creature on the top screen that you fire the fireballs at wasn't on a different screen. Not awe inspiring admittedly, but it's at least something.

Still it will be interesting to see what modes I'm missing out on when I swap my US cart for a JPN one. Don't understand why they'd leave out something as integral as a whole mode, if it's like the Druaga one from the Cube version, it's even stranger.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider
                    If anyone knows what all the diffrent coloured jewels in adventure mode do I'd love to know
                    There's a translation FAQ on GameFAQs for it now.

Comment

I'm eagerly awaiting my copy, especially as I finally beat the South Pole level on Mr Driller A yesterday.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with lordcookie, however, and say that Mr Driller A on the GBA is the definitive version (DS version notwithstanding, of course).

Comment

Personally I'm very dissapointed with the US version of this, the midi sounds awful and the voice acting dire, it really takes alot away from it and to find out I've only got half a game to boot, can see this being traded pretty soon, especially as play asia give a kickass pouch with the Jpn version

Comment

Not palyed much but how do you unlock the other characters?

Comment

Originally posted by Welrain
                            Not palyed much but how do you unlock the other characters?
                            In arcade mode mate, drill to 500 feet to get the dog, (sadly, I'm **** and haven't managed the next one).

Comment

very poor

After Mr Driller's dog, there is the robot from the last GBA and Cube game. The 1000ft plus levels always get me though... I'm hoping the other half takes over to get teh unlockings.

Comment

Working...
                              X