X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he meant zebras.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
      For a start dont acuse someone of trolling when you dont even understand what they are talking about?
      Haha? ;p

Anyway I said structure, a mine cart action sequence is nothing to do with the structure and pacing. And youre wrong anyway, for instance the end of RE 2 has you riding on an underground tram car, which is a bit like a large mine cart
      Come on that?s a stretch. ;p

The reason I mentioned Goldeneye is because of the aiming system. The previous games used auto-aim, RE 4 is about precision aiming like an FPS; you stop, pick your shots, then move on - just like Goldeneye.

As for other obvious changes: finding loot after a kill to buy stuff in a shop; zombies running, stabbing, and even shooting at you; the story being broken down into chapters; the game being constructed like a fun house instead using believable environments;item management not being about saving ammo anymore, it?s the opposite - half the time in Resi 4 you need chuck ammo away as you have too much.

QTEs, ammo placement, the lack of puzzles, **** story, no files/memos to read, poor musical score, pacing, I could go on.

A giant monster then smashes through the walls and you have to shoot it, which is more spectacular and actiony than the sequence you mentioned in RE4
      You said it yourself, in those moments you used to run away. In Resi 4 you pick one of your heavily upgraded weapons and annihilate what?s in front of you.

Like Kirov said, it?s an action adventure game.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
        Haha… ;p

Come on that’s a stretch. ;p

The reason I mentioned Goldeneye is because of the aiming system. The previous games used auto-aim, RE 4 is about precision aiming like an FPS; you stop, pick your shots, then move on - just like Goldeneye.

As for other obvious changes: finding loot after a kill to buy stuff in a shop; zombies running, stabbing, and even shooting at you; the story being broken down into chapters; the game being constructed like a fun house instead using believable environments;item management not being about saving ammo anymore, it’s the opposite - half the time in Resi 4 you need chuck ammo away as you have too much.

QTEs, ammo placement, the lack of puzzles, **** story, no files/memos to read, poor musical score, pacing, I could go on.

You said it yourself, in those moments you used to run away. In Resi 4 you pick one of your heavily upgraded weapons and annihilate what’s in front of you.

Like Kirov said, it’s an action adventure game.
        But in that case the only reason that the early Resi games were not action games was that you could run away from the enemies. And anyway, isnt running away from things action? arent chase sequences action?

Anyway alot of your reasoning for RE 4 not being like older games is stuff thats only really your opinion, not facts about the gameplay. **** story? The original Resident Evil was about a bunch of people stuck in a mansion full of zombies and monsters that had been infected by a virus, there was no more of a story than in RE4 and it certainly wasnt better in my opinion (though obviously the dialogue was alot worse so it was funnier), and if youre refering to back story, RE4 actualy has more backstory than the earlier games.

I admit that alot of it does have to do with perception though, I never really read many of the memos in the original games becuase I always feel stuff like that usualy adds very little with only the odd exception and just slows down the actual game. Its like in Bioshock, that has loads of Audio diaries but most of them are just people laughing like maniacs and stuff, about 1 in 20 is actualy a worthwhile peice of information about the plot. They do help add to the atmosphere for those lacking in imagination though I suppose.

I also guess you dont play many FPS's, becuase if you stop to shoot in most of them then you usualy end up dead, especialy in multiplayer.

In regards to combat RE4 is alot slower paced than any FPS I have ever played, and Ive played most of them.
        Last edited by rmoxon; 22-03-2011, 12:12.

Comment

One of the biggest differences between 4 and the earlier games is the rural, much less claustrophobic setting, as opposed to the more urban settings of earlier games, plus it clearly had a much broader range of influences than just zombie/horror films, ie Lord of the Rings. And you could never imagine that salesman turning up in the earlier games! It had more of a supernatural feel I'd say, rather than a near future sci-fi apocalypse.

Apart from Leon, I don't think there was much of a connection with the earlier games was there? No Raccoon City (a first for a numbered game), no Umbrella or Wesker, also a first...

It was a great game though, and the engine could probably be used for a more old school game if you brought back zombies and stuff. The sieges were cool and could have been even better with zombies I feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Party boy View Post
            One of the biggest differences between 4 and the earlier games is the rural, much less claustrophobic setting, as opposed to the more urban settings of earlier games, plus it clearly had a much broader range of influences than just zombie/horror films, ie Lord of the Rings. And you could never imagine that salesman turning up in the earlier games! It had more of a supernatural feel I'd say, rather than a near future sci-fi apocalypse.

Apart from Leon, I don't think there was much of a connection with the earlier games was there? No Raccoon City (a first for a numbered game), no Umbrella or Wesker, also a first...

It was a great game though, and the engine could probably be used for a more old school game if you brought back zombies and stuff. The sieges were cool and could have been even better with zombies I feel.
            See this is what I mean, people keep saying its not like the previous games and then just say things that are wrong.

Wesker was in RE4, as was Ada, and there were several references and links to previous games.
            Last edited by rmoxon; 22-03-2011, 13:34.

Comment

Las Plagas story was awful! awful!

Comment

Really liked the Resi 4 story, and the characters were excellent fun. The plot wasn't as evolved as the main Resi cannon but that did have 3 games and even Code Veronica as an extention to the story.

Comment

I don't agree that the RE4 musical score was "poor" in the slightest

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                    See this is what I mean, people keep saying its not like the previous games and then just say things that are wrong.

Wesker was in RE4, as was Ada, and there were several references and links to previous games.
                    The earlier comment about there being no files/memo's to read is also total nonsense. RE4 best RE game ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoppy2000 View Post
                      The earlier comment about there being no files/memo's to read is also total nonsense. RE4 best RE game ever.
                      Very true there were notes to read just like in other games. Another way it's like the older ones.
                      Last edited by rmoxon; 22-03-2011, 18:33.

Comment

Originally posted by losersclub View Post
                        I don't agree that the RE4 musical score was "poor" in the slightest
                        I think the Resident Evil 4 score is genius. It totally reminds me of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, with it's sinister percusion and when I hear it in the game it creates a sense of panic and urgency.

I honestly believe Resident Evil 4 is more tense and has more scares than any of the other Resident Evil games. It builds up the atmosphere and creates a sense of stress gradually instead of the haunted house scares of the first couple of games.

Don't get me wrong, the early Resident Evil games were fantastic at what they did, but for me Resident Evil 4 just took it to a whole new level.

Comment

I loved REmake, but the thought of item juggling and backtracking stops me from replaying it now. RE4 was an adrenaline-fuelled rollercoaster of a game. Playing it was a rush and I went through the whole thing more than a dozen times on GameCube alone. For me, it was miles ahead of the old games. It's one of the very best games ever made. Mikami is a genius and I'm so glad Capcom ordered him to reinvent the series with RE4 and gave him time to get it right.

I can see where longtime fans of RE are coming from but it's a shame more people don't accept differing viewpoints, because RE4 topics always seem to end up going the same way. I can't count the number of times I've heard the "it's not a RE game" argument used as criticism. It's sad because it would be nice to see some talk about all the good things about the game instead of going over the old same thing.

Comment

I think REmake in particular and Resident Evil 4 are perfect compliments to each other. It's like sleeping with indentical twins, one likes it slow, ambient and soothing. The others likes it hard and fast.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                              I think REmake in particular and Resident Evil 4 are perfect compliments to each other. It's like sleeping with indentical twins, one likes it slow, ambient and soothing. The others likes it hard and fast.
                              I have to ask, do you have alot of experience in that area then?

Comment

Originally posted by Sixty View Post
                                I can see where longtime fans of RE are coming from but it's a shame more people don't accept differing viewpoints, because RE4 topics always seem to end up going the same way. I can't count the number of times I've heard the "it's not a RE game" argument used as criticism. It's sad because it would be nice to see some talk about all the good things about the game instead of going over the old same thing.
                                Well said i couldn't agree more, it's a pity this thread has transcended into this!

Comment

Working...
                                X