No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finished this today. Thankfully, the whole end section was actually easier than most of the game and I really appreciated that. It let me just enjoy the finish. It’s funny though - the more enemies they threw at me the less tense it got because I was left will little choice but to run through them and that revealed that they were nowhere near as dangerous as I had thought they were. But right at the end, I made the choice to buy the updated shotgun which gave me 100 rounds free and that was a lovely purchased. I just walked through the end of the game blasting whoever the hell I Iiked.

Overall, I can see why this game was a real breath of fresh air after so many identical RE games. And yet it has enough of the familiar to still obviously be an RE game. Not sure the action approach was entirely for me and there were definitely parts where I just found the waves of enemies frustrating, not because they were hard but because I just wanted to progress. As for the difficulty level, Ouenben was right - that house assault was the toughest part of the game. There was still plenty of challenge after that but the game did a good job at providing just what I needed at the right time, always just enough to keep me going. So aside from that house bit, it was never so difficult that I started to hate it.

The VR had some quirks, mostly in how to show the cut scenes in a game not designed fo VR. But overall, it was fantastic and very immersive. And the more it went on, the more immersive it felt for whatever reason. Partly I suspect because the indoors felt more real and solid than the outdoors. I can’t compare to the non-VR version but I feel like it was a very immersive experience.

So that’s RE4. I finally played it after all these years.

Comment

Hell of a way to first experience the game. I've finally started it up but I know I'll be picking at it slowly largely because RE4 was a game that I kind of felt done with. I've played it several times on GC, again on PS2, then the Wii version, the HD release etc so I didn't feel the need to revisit it but the VR element is too much of a draw.

I've only done the opening, up till just before the village attack which I've always gone against the grain with as I always found it to be the weakest part of the whole game. The cutscenes definitely come across strange, I get the compromises but it's jarring switching in an out of perspective without warning. Otherwise though it's a very faithful recreation of the game. So far aiming is like on Wii and simplifies the action but being in the world is great.

Comment

Thank you for the VR impressions Dogg. I haven't got round to dipping into it but it's in the top of my VR list of things to get/play and as I still have a soft spot for the original re4 and that this VR version is good is very encouraging.

Comment

Remake demo is up, and not gonna lie I’m a little underwhelmed. Compared to recent 3rd person action games this feels clunky?

Comment

I have no interest in any of these remakes, tbh. They all seem to miss various compounding aspects of what made the originals so great.

Remasters, on the other hand...

Comment

I like Resi 4 and I like the Resi 2 remake, so I hope this is good.

Honestly though, I wish they'd do the Dino Crisis series as I never played them BITD and it makes a change to run away from t-rexes rather than from T-Virus zombies.

Comment

Everyone's clamouring for a reworked RE5 next but 100% Dino Crisis or Code Veronica should be next up

Comment

Code Veronica would be an amazing one to do. I'd love to see that. It's a really good Resi in so many ways, and one of the most maximalist early entries. But it's also got definite flaws that could be dealt with in a remake, and make it a real all-timer.

Must admit I tried Dino Crisis a little while back and found myself bored in the early stages. Maybe I was just a bit Resi'd out. Need to give it another go as I do love that late 90s, deliberately paced survival horror.

Comment

What ever they do, they should NOT remake Dino Crisis 3… it’s not very good.

Comment

Well that's it though, they could make a lacklustre game seem brilliant.

Personally, I think a combo pack of all the Dino games or the Veronica games would make it more attractive.

I wonder how much more Resi 2 remake outsold Resi 3?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        Everyone's clamouring for a reworked RE5 next
                        Did anyone actually like RE5? I only ever played a demo but I remember people being very vocal about being disappointed by it at the time. Maybe that's selective memory...

Comment

Was that the heavily co-op one?
                          Didn't people think it wasn't tense enough or something?
                          #oldmanmemory

Comment

Yes, that's the one. In the sort of African setting.

Comment

Yeah it was co-op with crazed Africans charging at you. Quite enjoyed what I played of it.

Comment

I played Resi 5 almost entirely in co-op (across multiple play throughs) and enjoyed it. It's no masterpiece but it's also nowhere near as awful as some would have you believe. I think some of the heat came off it when 6 was released and became the new least-loved of the series, but I'm also not sure it's dated enough to warrant a remake.

Comment

Working...
                                X