Resident Evil 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
    Apart from infinite saves and the ability to buy more ammo - two things which were absent from previous RE games and were two key, defining aspects of them.
    You can't really buy ammo just the weapons, the only way of buying ammo is upgrading the capacity of your gun and it's automatically filled to the full.

The saves isnt' a big deal for me, I've never been one to save a lot. Always had heaps of ink ribbons at the end of RE games. However what is new in RE4 is being able to continue if you die... from the entrance of that area/room. Instead of going back to your last save.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
      Apart from infinite saves and the ability to buy more ammo - two things which were absent from previous RE games and were two key, defining aspects of them.
      The ironic thing here is that people were acusing me of not playing the earlier RE games on harder difficulties when I actualy had, yet you clearly havent even played RE4 properly on the normal difficulty nevermind on hard.

You dont get get loads of ammo, you certainly cant buy it, and on Professional (hard) you deffinitley run out of it quite often if youre not careful.

Sorry Sketcz but you dont know what youre talking about.

Originally posted by Ouenben View Post
      The saves isnt' a big deal for me, I've never been one to save a lot. Always had heaps of ink ribbons at the end of RE games. However what is new in RE4 is being able to continue if you die... from the entrance of that area/room. Instead of going back to your last save.
      Thats true, though to be fair how often do you really die in the earlier Resident Evil games anyway? Its not very often is it? You die alot more in 4 and 5 than in any previous game, so it makes sense that they included checkpoints.

If Sketcz could stop being a grumpy old man whos against change in any shape or form for a few seconds I'm sure hed realize that they made alot of changes for the better with RE4. Though I know thats not likley.
      Last edited by rmoxon; 20-03-2011, 13:14.

Comment

I love resi 4, but it sure as hell isn't Resident Evil.

Return to the resis of olde please! Lack of ammo, scares, tactically deciding when to fight or flee... Couldn't agree more with Sketz!

Resident Evil 4 was an amazing game, it just wasn't Resident Evil! Sure you can say the genre needs to evolve, but it didn't evolve, it abandoned the genre completely and switched to an action adventure!

I actually feel they should have moved more to the direction of the Outbreak games, keeping the survival of Resident Evil, but bringing it up to date and making it more modern with the online features, and ability to use anything you come across. It's a shame they were so poorly executed, at least the PAL copies were anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
          I love resi 4, but it sure as hell isn't Resident Evil.

Return to the resis of olde please! Lack of ammo, scares, tactically deciding when to fight or flee... Couldn't agree more with Sketz!

Resident Evil 4 was an amazing game, it just wasn't Resident Evil! Sure you can say the genre needs to evolve, but it didn't evolve, it abandoned the genre completely and switched to an action adventure!

I actually feel they should have moved more to the direction of the Outbreak games, keeping the survival of Resident Evil, but bringing it up to date and making it more modern with the online features, and ability to use anything you come across. It's a shame they were so poorly executed, at least the PAL copies were anyway...
          But the thing is that RE4 did have all those things, well i still dont think its tactical, but then I didnt think the first games were either as Ive said.

RE4 still has moments where you have to decide wether to flee or fight, it still has moments where you run low on ammo, it still features all the hallmarks of RE games and they are generaly done alot better than in previous games. You no longer have the option to run through nearly the entire game without killing anything and if anything RE 4 is more tactical than previous games, becuase there are set peices where you have to decide what to do and how to go about avoiding or killing the enimies, the oiriginal games never really had anything with quite as much scope as the stuff in RE4.

For me it IS an RE game, and it just builds on what was good about the earlier games in the first place, you cant just say "theres more action so its not an RE game" becuase that statment is increadabley untrue, in fact the only reason there is more ammo in RE 4 is becuase there are more enemies, you still need all the ammo you can get though, especialy twoards the end of the game when the regenerators appear and you only have about two sniper rifle bullets left to kill 3 of them.
          Last edited by rmoxon; 20-03-2011, 14:24.

Comment

I would tend to disagree with that, I didn't get the Resident Evil vibe at all with it. I think that's something which hasn't been mentioned so far actually, and possibly the reason for some why 4 isn't really considered canon.

The "feel" of Resident Evil...

The desolation, the oppression, the environments you see are of everyday life, a normal city gone mad after an outbreak. Can't appreciate that in a Spanish village and castle. The music is a big one too, no memorable tunes at all in Resi 4, whereas I'm still humming the train graveyard and police station today.

Its not just about the gameplay, some of the gameplay aspects may have carried across intact, but I think that these elements combine to make the game what it was, and Resi 4 had none of that, none of Resident Evils lineage if you will.

Possibly the same reason why alot of Castlevania fans take issue with Lords of Shadow
            Last edited by MrKirov; 20-03-2011, 14:29.

Comment

I would tend to disagree with that, I didn't get the Resident Evil vibe at all with it. I think that's something which hasn't been mentioned so far actually, and possibly the reason for some why 4 isn't really considered canon.

The "feel" of Resident Evil...

The desolation, the oppression, the environments you see are of everyday life, a normal city gone mad after an outbreak. Can't appreciate that in a Spanish village and castle. The music is a big one too, no memorable tunes at all in Resi 4, whereas I'm still humming the train graveyard and police station today.

I just think that these elements combine to make the game what it was, and Resi 4 had none of that.

But that desolation and opression was there in the village, I cant testify that it had ever been a normal place to live but the villagers had certainly gone mad from the outbreak.

The structure of the game is pretty much exactly the same as every other RE game, from the way the areas lead into each other to the timer counting down during the climax, its all stuff thats typical of the series.

You only have to play RE4 for 5 minutes and somthing that is typical of the series will take place, so how can that not give anyone an RE vibe?

As for Lords of Shadow, that really wasnt anything like Castlevania, it didnt play like castlkevania, it didnt have characters from castlevania, it wasnt structured like any previous castlevania. It originaly wanst even gonna be a castlevania game and you could tell the name had just been slapped on.

None of that ruined the game though, what ruined it was the fact that it was an average God of War rip off.
              Last edited by rmoxon; 20-03-2011, 14:38.

Comment

As I said, the Gameplay elements may be there, but there are missing ones aswell, the music, and certainly the story doesn't feel part of the overarching drama which continues in each game.

For me certainly, and assumingly the people who agree with my viewpoint, they don't come together to form a Resident Evil game. Taking away the music and the silly story of a few versus an evil mega corporation, certainly made me think less of it.

I can't help but feel people like myself would be much kinder to it, had it not been called Resident Evil!

Comment

As I said, the Gameplay elements may be there, but there are missing ones aswell, the music, and certainly the story doesn't feel part of the overarching drama which continues in each game.

For me certainly, and assumingly the people who agree with my viewpoint, they don't come together to form a Resident Evil game. Taking away the music and the silly story of a few versus an evil mega corporation, certainly made me think less of it.

I can't help but feel people like myself would be much kinder to it, had it not been called Resident Evil!
                  Well i really dont get that becuase if It hadnt have been called Resident Evil 4 i would have been personally asking why not. It takes too much from previous games for it not to be called a sequel.

The games were originaly titled Biohazard, and its still about a Biohazard, so considering its set in the same world theres not even a reason why it shouldnt be called the same as previous games.

If you watch a sequel to a film, it can often be completely different to the first film, but its connected becuase its set in the same world, so it can be easily classed as a sequel.

What youre saying is the equivilant of saying that Temple of Doom isnt really the sequel/prequel to Raiders becuase the only connection is that Indiana Jones is in it. Which is a veiwpoint to consider I suppose, but I think most people would disagree with it.
                  Last edited by rmoxon; 20-03-2011, 14:48.

Comment

Well differing opinions are normal, I tend to completely disagree with your viewpoint. I feel the Resident Evil qualities are shoehorned in, and it abandons everything that makes a Resident Evil game.

I feel it sold out and became another action adventure game, a very good one indeed, but it's just not Resident Evil unfortunately. A shame that Capcom overdid it, and chucked so many out in a short time, because if they didn't, a reboot wouldn't have even been necessary!

Still, I would have kept buying them anyway, because I ****ing love traditional Resident Evil. It's a shame 4 doesnt fall into that category. A great game, but not a patch on traditional Resident Evils in my Resi loving opinion

Comment

I dont even Feel RE4 is an action game in all honesty, RE5 is an action game, and the main problem with it was that it still played like RE4 so the controls were not made for its more fast paced nature.

I guess you have just pretty much stated why you cant agree that RE4 was like the older games though, deep down you wanted it to be exactly like them and it annoyed you that they changed things about a bit.

I actualy think Capcom had been trying to make the RE games more action packed for some time, even the old school games became progressivley more set peice driven and they gave you options like the avaliability of machine guns at the begining of the game.

RE4 was just the natural progression from that. All things change, its the way of the world, you just have to accept it and look to whats good about those changes.
                      Last edited by rmoxon; 20-03-2011, 15:06.

Comment

I wouldnt agree with that at all, I'm happy with change, as mentioned before though, they didn't change the game, they changed the genre entirely in my opinion.

If Resi 6 played exactly the same as 4, but instead had an atmosphere, environment, music and overarching story more in line with the series canonical history, i'd be more than happy! However, considering thats probably not going to happen, I'm more than happy to replay the best the series has to offer!
                        Last edited by MrKirov; 20-03-2011, 15:16.

Comment

RE: Revelations looks more like the old ones/CV, especially with the return of zombies and much of it taking place on a ship. Mercs could be a spin off designed to appeal to fans of 5 (and to a lesser extent 4), could be a sign of things to come, ie old school main games and action oriented spin offs more like 5 under the Mercs banner.

Comment

Jamie's right, RE4 is not a Resident Evil game. Awesome game it is. But not Resident Evil.

There was a whole history of RE in the previous games which did just seem shoehorned into RE4 for the sake of it. They should have dropped everything in the story related to RE and made a new series out of it. But then maybe they were afraid it wouldn't sell as well without the name behind it.

This would also have allowed them to continue on the classic Resi series the way the fans would have liked.

Comment

Well, I completed it. What an amazing game. I really enjoyed it and its an easy 10/10 for me. I've read the latest comments with interest, and I think perhaps I did enjoy it as it didn't feel like a resident evil game, as i stated, I haven't got on with the series as whole.

I noticed I opened up some other gameplay modes, one I started in which you control Ada...any of these any good?

I'm gutted I've finished the main game, it was a hell of a ride and I can see myself re-playing this down the line

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowDancer View Post
                                Well, I completed it. What an amazing game. I really enjoyed it and its an easy 10/10 for me. I've read the latest comments with interest, and I think perhaps I did enjoy it as it didn't feel like a resident evil game, as i stated, I haven't got on with the series as whole.

I noticed I opened up some other gameplay modes, one I started in which you control Ada...any of these any good?

I'm gutted I've finished the main game, it was a hell of a ride and I can see myself re-playing this down the line
                                The extra level where you are Ada is worth playing, its just more of the same great gameplay really, it was originaly made as an extra for the PS2 version of the game but they kept it in for the wii one as well.

The other mode you opened up is Mercenaries, which is basicaly a score attack/arena type mode where you have a certain amount of time (that can be extended), to score points and youre then given a rating when it ends, theres a new 3DS game coming out at some point in the near future based just around this mode.
                                Last edited by rmoxon; 20-03-2011, 19:10.

Comment

Working...
                                X