Another Century's Episode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got this today, finally, and have caned it quite a bit. The short of it is that it is a good game but it may be difficult for some to get to grips with. Much like the original Armored Core's idiosynchratic use of the bloody shoulder buttons to look up and down, ACE has a similar state of affairs to gain and lose altitude. Admittedly, many of the Bandai PSone Gundam action games had a similar state of affairs (so it's not exactly new to me) but a fair few peeps may (justifiably mind) have the initial urge to throw the controller on the floor in frustration.

However, like Armored Core, investing time in how the game controls will reap wondrous benefits as you fly in silky smooth arcs of death spewing l33tage. Each of the mecha are ****ing great to use too and all can be improved throught the acquistion of "ACE points".

The only real problem I have encountered thus far is that sometimes it not entirely clear what the hell your compatriots want, consequently making some of the mission objectives a tad hard to complete. Admittedly, this might be me misinterpreting what is going but a few Japanese fan sites have commented similarly.

Anyway, here be some eyecandy (it looks lush in action I should add):

http://down.videogamerx.net/news/20050109/ace.wmv

A.C.E. Official Site

Definitely not one for the lack of Japanese-language-ability-faint hearted. Though playable when you get to the real meat of the game. It's just the mission briefing's (some you can work out quick, though some missions you will have to replay a few times so you know what you were doing wrong those previous times) and 'tune up' screens will leave you bewildered.

A.C.E. features mecha from well known Japanese anime franchises, along with a couple of original Mecha designs, which you get at the start of the game. For me though, i can recognise about a couple or so of the Gundam ones and that's about it.

Gameplay-wise, i would say it's more aerial based, opposed to Armored Core which was more ground based. Not quite as fast and balletic as Zone of the Enders. I liken it to something like Virtual On, but in the air.
    Kinda.

There are two control systems - Manual and Semi Automatic.
    All i can see from using 'semi automatic' is that when locking onto an enemy, it will automatically alter your altitude, too be inline with the target, whereas 'manual' doesn't

Mecha will join your party via the storyline/ completing secret missions and buying from the 'Rendevous Point' which is mainly the tune up/ shop menus. These 'Rendevous Points' happen at set times during the progression of the game.

One thing that has stumped me, is that on the screen before you go to start your mission, you can assign your mecha to certain slots e.g. have the Gespenst Mk II Mass Market Model as the mecha you will start the mission with, and with slots 1/ 2/ 3 you can put your other mechas in. not quite sure what this does?

And another point is that, when you just have one starting mecha, and try to start the mission, it will sometimes give you a red warning message then some other message with some 'numerical points' that i need?
    So in the end i had to choose some other one that could start the mission.

As for favourites:
    I like 'Mobile Suit Z Gundam' and 'Heavy Metal L-GAIM'
    Last edited by jimtendo; 20-02-2005, 06:59.

Comment

Originally posted by geektanic weezmacht
      Definitely not one for the lack of Japanese-language-ability-faint hearted. Though playable when you get to the real meat of the game. It's just the mission briefing's (some you can work out quick, though some missions you will have to replay a few times so you know what you were doing wrong those previous times) and 'tune up' screens will leave you bewildered.
      There are certain missions where seeing the anime in question will help with completing certain objectives, but a few Japanese sites have commented on a few instances when even those instructions are a tad ambiguous.

A.C.E. features mecha from well known Japanese anime franchises, along with a couple of original Mecha designs, which you get at the start of the game. For me though, i can recognise about a couple or so of the Gundam ones and that's about it.
      The total rosta is from the following series and films:

Kidou Senkan Nadesico: The Prince of Darkness
      Juusenki L-Gaim
      Aoki Ryusei SPT Layzner
      Kidou Senshi Zeta Gundam
      Kidou Senshi Gundam: Gyakshu no Char
      Brain Powerd
      Shin Kidou Senki Gundam Wing
      Sei Senshi Dunbine
      Kiko Senki Dragonar

The original mecha are from Super Robot Taisen (the Gepenst Mk.II) and from the subpar Xbox mecha game, Murakumo (this being the Cloudbreaker).

There are a total of 40 playable mecha, I have unlocked 38 (finished the game on ACE difficulty you see). Each mission also has a secret objective to complete (there are a total of about 40 missions in-game, and two extra missions unlocked after completion).

Gameplay-wise, i would say it's more aerial based, opposed to Armored Core which was more ground based. Not quite as fast and balletic as Zone of the Enders. I liken it to something like Virtual On, but in the air.
      Kinda.
      The land based missions are more akin to the Macross game with bits of the older PSone Gundam games thrown in for good measure. The initial mecha are slower, but the Dunbine, Bilbine, Layzner and Zakaal move like **** of a shovel.

The space based missions are more akin to Omega Boost but with a softer lock-on function meaning that the player has to partially track their target.

It also needs to mentioned that ZOE is a Virtual On rip-off anyway

There are two control systems - Manual and Semi Automatic.
      All i can see from using 'semi automatic' is that when locking onto an enemy, it will automatically alter your altitude, too be inline with the target, whereas 'manual' doesn't
      Manual also gives you more control over which weapons you can use regardless of the distance to your target.

Mecha will join your party via the storyline/ completing secret missions and buying from the 'Rendevous Point' which is mainly the tune up/ shop menus. These 'Rendevous Points' happen at set times during the progression of the game.
      Yeah, you have a set number of missions in each operation and then you come into dock to resupply. You also get further selections of mecha depending on your success in the missions.

One thing that has stumped me, is that on the screen before you go to start your mission, you can assign your mecha to certain slots e.g. have the Gespenst Mk II Mass Market Model as the mecha you will start the mission with, and with slots 1/ 2/ 3 you can put your other mechas in. not quite sure what this does?
      I think that is if you die mid-mission, you restart the mission with the other mecha selected. Not sure though, haven't died in-game yet

And another point is that, when you just have one starting mecha, and try to start the mission, it will sometimes give you a red warning message then some other message with some 'numerical points' that i need?
      So in the end i had to choose some other one that could start the mission.
      That's the carrier points for repairs, at the beginning of the game you don't have many. Each time you take damage in a mission you have to "pay" for repairs. If you have no repair points it asks you whether you want to enter the mission with an unrepaired mecha. That's the red warning message.

If you like the L-Gaim, check out the L-Gaim Mk.II (it transforms and has a meaty buster launcher). The Zeta is good, but the Nu is far more capable (doesn't transform though).

The best and most powerful mecha are probably the antibodies from Brain Powerd and the SPT's from Layzner. Both are very very fast and maneuvrable.

Comment

Gah, just scrolled down a bit, and indeed there is already a thread started.
        I did use the search engine, yet it couldn't find any results ?_?
        Merge away mods.

Cheers Caco for the help. Still getting to grips with the control scheme.
        How do you change weapons by the way?
        Last edited by jimtendo; 20-02-2005, 18:35.

Comment

Gah, just scrolled down a bit, and indeed there is already a thread started.
          I did use the search engine, yet it couldn't find any results ?_?
          Merge away mods.

Cheers Caco for the help. Still getting to grips with the control scheme.
          How do you change weapons by the way?
          Each mecha has a fixed load out of weapons that can be improved with ACE points. I am assuming though that you are using the Semi-Auto control setup that automatically assigns a weapon depending on your distance to the target. Switch to Manual controls (each weapon is assigned a button).

Comment

A small A.C.E. guide on the translation issues for those struggling with the menus:

During the normal course of the game, you can 'tune up' your mecha, however you needed to have added the 'skill' during the 'rendevous points' - i'll get to that later.

When you enter 'tune up' you have 3 options:

1. Add skill
            2. Strengthen skill
            3. Erase skill

None will be able to use if you haven't added the ability during the 'rendevous points'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rendevous Points:
            During this part of the game, you can upgrade your 'Carrier' which is essentially your mothership abilities. The upgrades are as follows:

1. Expand slot capacity = more mecha can join your merry band, up to a maximum of 12

2. Purchase more repair points = more points you can use to repair your mecha during the missions. The 'repair points' will automatically be refilled at 'rendevous points' as well as your damaged mecha being fixed for free.

3. I think this is 'repair efficiency' which basically means, the higher percentage, the less repair points are needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the option 'Slots' you can buy the skills needed for 'tune up' and the skills read as follows:

Armour (+defense -boost speed)
            Speed (+speed -defense)
            Boost speed (+boost speed -gen output)
            Generator Output = energy bar for boosting (+gen output - boost speed)
            Motion Ability (+motion ability -turning ability)
            Turning Ability (+turning ability -motion ability)
            Weapon Power (+wep Power -wep reload)
            Weapon reload (+wep reload -wep power)

I think there are a few more areas of the tuneup area, that have something to do with the actual weapons?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before you start your mission, you are given 4 slots:

Starting mecha = the one you have direct control of
            backup mecha 1
            backup mecha 2
            backup mecha 3

By assigning mecha to these 'backup' slots, they will give you give you help, although you wont see them on your screen. Enemys will not have a full bar of energy, plus there seems to be less of them i think.
            Also by doing this, these backup macha will incur damage.

Anyway, if anyone else likes to chip in with corrections etc feel free.
            Last edited by jimtendo; 27-02-2005, 11:51.

Comment

I just received this on Thursday, and after two days of heavy-playing, I finished it yesterday evening. I used Quattro's Hyaku-Shiki for 85% of the missions, with occasional stints in the NuGundam, Zeta Gundam, and one of the anti-bodies from Brain Powerd (the white one). I had my doubts about the game (I bought it mostly for NuGundam and Qubeley, haha), but the time spent was a lot of fun, even though the targetting system got wonky at times when there were lots of choices. I only figured out the upgrading system half-way through the game, heh. Having a lot of fun at the moment going through Free Mission mode with my decked-out Qubeley, wiping the floor [+air & space] with her psycho funnels, completing the secret conditions, and gathering Ace ranking in every mission.

I intend to unlock the rest of the mechs before tackling singleplayer again in ACE difficulty. From an objective point of view though, if you don't really care for any of the series represented in this game, your enjoyment of it might be lessened by a certain/large degree. The game mechanics are solid, but not anything extraordinary either; it's just really fun to see all those classic mechas and your favourites duking it out.

Cacophanus: I didn't want to drag up the older Gundam Vs Zeta Gundam thread, so I'll try asking you here: between the PS2 and GC versions, which one is better? I know the PS2 has online in Japan and GC has 4-player mode, but other than that, is there a clear winner? I'm worried that the GC controller might feel awkward compared to the Dual Shock 2.

Comment

A small A.C.E. guide on the translation issues for those struggling with the menus:

During the normal course of the game, you can 'tune up' your mecha, however you needed to have added the 'skill' during the 'rendevous points' - i'll get to that later.

When you enter 'tune up' you have 3 options:

1. Add skill
                2. Strengthen skill
                3. Erase skill

None will be able to use if you haven't added the ability during the 'rendevous points'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rendevous Points:
                During this part of the game, you can upgrade your 'Carrier' which is essentially your mothership abilities. The upgrades are as follows:

1. Expand slot capacity = more mecha can join your merry band, up to a maximum of 12

2. Purchase more repair points = more points you can use to repair your mecha during the missions. The 'repair points' will automatically be refilled at 'rendevous points' as well as your damaged mecha being fixed for free.

3. I think this is 'repair efficiency' which basically means, the higher percentage, the less repair points are needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the option 'Slots' you can buy the skills needed for 'tune up' and the skills read as follows:

Armour (+defense -vernier)
                Speed (+speed -defense)
                Boost speed (+boost speed -gen output)
                Generator Output = energy bar for boosting (+gen output - boost speed)
                Motion Ability (+motion ability -turning ability)
                Turning Ability (+turning ability -motion ability)
                Weapon Power (+wep Power -wep reload)
                Weapon reload (+wep reload -wep power)

I think there are a few more areas of the tuneup area, that have something to do with the actual weapons?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before you start your mission, you are given 4 slots:

Starting mecha = the one you have direct control of
                backup mecha 1
                backup mecha 2
                backup mecha 3

By assigning mecha to these 'backup' slots, they will give you give you help, although you wont see them on your screen. Enemys will not have a full bar of energy, plus there seems to be less of them i think.
                Also by doing this, these backup macha will incur damage.

Anyway, if anyone else likes to chip in with corrections etc feel free.
                All good, but will update a few more bits to the above once I have the time.

Originally posted by Hunk
                I just received this on Thursday, and after two days of heavy-playing, I finished it yesterday evening. I used Quattro's Hyaku-Shiki for 85% of the missions, with occasional stints in the NuGundam, Zeta Gundam, and one of the anti-bodies from Brain Powerd (the white one). I had my doubts about the game (I bought it mostly for NuGundam and Qubeley, haha), but the time spent was a lot of fun, even though the targetting system got wonky at times when there were lots of choices. I only figured out the upgrading system half-way through the game, heh. Having a lot of fun at the moment going through Free Mission mode with my decked-out Qubeley, wiping the floor [+air & space] with her psycho funnels, completing the secret conditions, and gathering Ace ranking in every mission.

I intend to unlock the rest of the mechs before tackling singleplayer again in ACE difficulty. From an objective point of view though, if you don't really care for any of the series represented in this game, your enjoyment of it might be lessened by a certain/large degree. The game mechanics are solid, but not anything extraordinary either; it's just really fun to see all those classic mechas and your favourites duking it out.
                I am about 91% of the way through now, though I am playing on ACE difficulty. Many of the secret conditions are a tad ambiguous, which can grate.

Anyway, I did a video of me mucking about in a level (with the Sazabi), bear in mind I wasn't pushing the boundaries of l33t simply because I wanted to display the map a bit more.

Cacophanus: I didn't want to drag up the older Gundam Vs Zeta Gundam thread, so I'll try asking you here: between the PS2 and GC versions, which one is better? I know the PS2 has online in Japan and GC has 4-player mode, but other than that, is there a clear winner? I'm worried that the GC controller might feel awkward compared to the Dual Shock 2.
                The Cube version is definitive if only for the framerate and the consequently fa more responsive controls. The four player splitscreen is also a lot more useful than the online setup for the PS2 version (the latter is laggy and only available in Japan). The Cube controller is fine for use with the game.

Comment

Is it just me, or does NuGundam and Sazabi's funnels never regenerate? Kinda makes upgrading their Weapon Reload pointless. Oh well, guess it stays true to the anime.

Originally posted by Cacophanus
                  Anyway, I did a video of me mucking about in a level (with the Sazabi), bear in mind I wasn't pushing the boundaries of l33t simply because I wanted to display the map a bit more.
                  That's a nice fly-by video to give people an idea of what the in-game graphics look like. The mech models are particularly nice; unfortunately, most of the time, I'm too busy blowing them away to be admiring them.

The Cube version is definitive if only for the framerate and the consequently fa more responsive controls. The four player splitscreen is also a lot more useful than the online setup for the PS2 version (the latter is laggy and only available in Japan). The Cube controller is fine for use with the game.
                  Thanks for the information; I'll be sure to pick up the Cube version then. Can't wait to unlock Qubeley in that too.

Comment

Is it just me, or does NuGundam and Sazabi's funnels never regenerate? Kinda makes upgrading their Weapon Reload pointless. Oh well, guess it stays true to the anime.
                    The weapon reload and power stats refer to the individual shots fired from the funnels, not the regeneration of said funnels.

That's a nice fly-by video to give people an idea of what the in-game graphics look like. The mech models are particularly nice; unfortunately, most of the time, I'm too busy blowing them away to be admiring them.
                    I just wanted to show how varied and intricate one enviroment is (as in being able to go underwater and land on the ground and walk about). The enviroments are really massive in ACE.

Thanks for the information; I'll be sure to pick up the Cube version then. Can't wait to unlock Qubeley in that too.
                    There is a Qubeley Mk.II in the game too (though I was hoping for a Quin Mantha, especially after the addition of thee ZZ Gundam).
                    Last edited by Cacophanus; 02-03-2005, 15:35.

Comment

The weapon reload and power stats refer to the individual shots fired from the funnels, not the regeneration of said funnels.
                      That's logical... dunno why I thought otherwise.

I just wanted to show how varied and intricate one enviroment is (as in being able to go underwater and land on the ground and walk about). The enviroments are really massive in ACE.
                      Yeah, I was surprised the first time I realised you could actually go underwater. And the sense of scale is nicely done; on one of the missions, I love landing on the aircraft carriers in-between waves of enemies.

There is a Qubeley Mk.II in the game too (though I was hoping for a Quin Mantha, especially after the addition of thee ZZ Gundam).
                      Elpeo Ple!

I finally unlocked all the mechs and got 100% the other day. Some of the secret conditions were a real pain (such as the one where you have to protect all the Radars, and another one where you protect the Leo), but I still thoroughly enjoyed the game. For those of you who want to preserve the challenge though, I'd suggest unlocking Tallgeese last. When upgraded, I think it may be the most powerful overall mech; it can literally turn-on-a-dime and its cannon is quite damaging. I sure am glad I didn't bother unlocking it till the very end.

Now, on to my ACE-difficulty playthrough!

Comment

Yeah, I was surprised the first time I realised you could actually go underwater. And the sense of scale is nicely done; on one of the missions, I love landing on the aircraft carriers in-between waves of enemies.
                        The only weird thing about ACE is that the sense of scale is only really obvious when you are right up close to something, simply because the speed of most mecha means you can zip away until your opponent is like a dot on the horizon. It is cool being able to walk around a village that you spy from several miles off though.

Elpeo Ple!
                        She's in Gundam vs Zeta too

I finally unlocked all the mechs and got 100% the other day. Some of the secret conditions were a real pain (such as the one where you have to protect all the Radars, and another one where you protect the Leo), but I still thoroughly enjoyed the game. For those of you who want to preserve the challenge though, I'd suggest unlocking Tallgeese last. When upgraded, I think it may be the most powerful overall mech; it can literally turn-on-a-dime and its cannon is quite damaging. I sure am glad I didn't bother unlocking it till the very end.

Now, on to my ACE-difficulty playthrough!
                        The Auge is probably more powerful, if only for the ability of charging the buster launcher on the move (and it's super fast reload time). The Brain Powerd antibodies are also very nimble and have insane range and tracking.

Comment

A translated site for mission objectives, and secret mission requirements for those still struggling i.e. me.
                          Please forgive the Engrish.

Comment

Working...
                          X