Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sega Classics Collection

Didn't see a topic for this.

I've been looking forward to this, mainly for Outrun, Space Harrier and Virtua Racing. It's not bad... but a little disappointing.

Virtua Racing, on paper, should be pretty damn spiffy. VR with the same flat-shaded graphics, but in high-resolution, 60fps? Yes please. And that's what this remake offers. However, the game just feels like a mess. It's kinda hard to explain, but the whole look and feel is completely plastic. It looks too smooth, too polished, and feels too polished too. It just comes across as broken.
    That's unfairly negitive, as it's not bad stuff. Just not the ultimate port we were waiting for.

Outrun is actually a tad better in my view, suprisingly. They've thrown 3D stuff in there, yet still managed to keep the look of the original, very nice. However, the controls are, well... broken? It's not too bad, but the cars feel uber smooth. Remember the lovely screetch you heard when you went around corners? Gone. Or rather, it happens a lot less. Your car smoothly glides around even the sharpest corner, only botherering to screetch when you keep turning for a rather long amount of time. Sounds like a minor gripe, but it just feels kinda wrong.
    On the plus side, the tracks seem to follow the original course layout very well indeed, good stuff there.

Space Harrier next... this game has actually changed much more than the previous 2. It's much less a 3D update and more a remake. The scrolling floor has been replaced with a proper 3D terrain before, which reminds me of the scrolling landscape on the original Panzer Dragoon title screen.
    Various new gameplay additions are present also, such as a shield which can be used a limited number of times. The emenies have been dramaitically changed (the dragon boss looks like a real dragon and not a snake, for example). Unfortunately, the pace of the game seems to be a tad slower =/ Oh yeah, and there's a bit of slowdown when the screen is packed with enemies. Suppose that should be expected.
    Worthy of mention is the music, which are actually remixes (unlike the other games, where they are just using 'newer' instruments). They're not bad actually, for remixes. Some are similar to what you might find at OCRemix.

I'm less familiar with the other titles, so I won't comment.

Eh, it's okay I suppose. They were good and kept the menu's and presentation of the original games. But give us SoR if your gonna do this again Sega =/
    Last edited by sj33; 30-03-2005, 10:52.

Which console is this for? What other games are on it? Is this the one with Super Monaco GP? Is that the one where you challenge drivers through the season for their position with better teams?

Comment

PlayStation2. US only right now.

-Outrun
      -Space Harrier
      -Virtua Racing
      -Monaco GP
      -Tant R
      -Golden Axe (!)
      -Columns
      -Fantasy Zone
      -Bonanza Bros.
      -Alien Syndrome

http://www.videogamesplus.ca/advance...ection&x=0&y=0

Just played a bit of Alien Syndrome. We're talking full 3D remake here guys, cutscenes and all!

Now onto Golden Axe... full ide-on 3D view somewhat like Wario World on the cube.

Comment

I hope this comes out over here too...

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
          I hope this comes out over here too...
          It is

Comment

I head they'd redone Afterburner 2 as well (also in 3D for PS2). Am I wrong, or are they doing them in collections of some sort?

Widegoat

Comment

Afterburner is available in Japan on the Sega Ages 2500 range (which this pack is a collection of) but it didn't make it onto this compilation for some reason. I wouldn't have minded Puyo Puyo Perfect and Decathlete as well, which are also part of the range.

It's not a bad pack, though. I've already got a few of the games individually, but for the price you can't really go wrong. Virtua Racing's the star of the pack for me. I put quite a lot of time into the Japanese Sega Ages release, and I really love it. Shame the music's clipped short, but otherwise I thought it was a great conversion.

As with the Japanese versions, though, I really think they should've included the original games as well as the 3D remakes. Sure, we've all got at least 20 copies of Space Harrier and Outrun but most of the other titles have never had arcade perfect home conversions.

Comment

Originally posted by Widegoat
                I head they'd redone Afterburner 2 as well (also in 3D for PS2). Am I wrong, or are they doing them in collections of some sort?

Widegoat
                Hopefully they'll do another pack. There's other titles avaliable in Japan, such as VF2, FV, Dragon Force and Phantasy Star 2, which IMO are more interesting than some of the games on here.

Shame they didn't keep the Sega Ages brand name in the west, though I suppose 'Sega Ages' might not mean much to 'normal' people.

Comment

The Phantasy Star games are to be released together in a single compilation in the US.

I think Working Designs want to release the Dragon Force remake. If they do get their hands on it expect to see it on store shelves in about 4 years time.

Comment

Originally posted by gossi the dog
                    The Phantasy Star games are to be released together in a single compilation in the US.

I think Working Designs want to release the Dragon Force remake. If they do get their hands on it expect to see it on store shelves in about 4 years time.

Yeah but it will have a pretty box and lots of nice extra bits!

*strokes Growlanser ltd edition set*

Comment

Originally posted by gossi the dog
                      Has the third game even been remade yet?

Comment

As I understand it they're releasing I, II and IV as a trilogy. III is being left out as its not part of the overall series and is considered to be a bit ****.

IV is currently being remade.

Comment

Some people say VR is good, and others say its crap. I will be buying the collection when it hits the uk; I just hope VR is better than some people make out.

I wish Sega would just knuckle-down and make lots of new racers, or even VR2 and Daytona3.

When is the collection out in the UK?
                          Last edited by Leon Retro; 01-04-2005, 16:08.

Comment

Its nice for nostalgia.
                            Outrun is fantastically realised, although the arranged tracks could do without the pop-up (or at least some kinda hide graphic).

Alien Syndrome, Space Harrier and Fantasy Zone are very good - but always were really. The updated graphics make them a little more enjoyable to play.

V.R. Racing plays really well with early use of Sega's infamous Powerdrift and brillant track design (never played the arcade version too much). Theres supposed to be some bonus games hidden in here too - but i'm not sure if they mean the special 'party' mode of Bonanza Bros.

Comment

The more I play Outrun, the more I like it... I mean, I've been playing the Arrange mode today - great stuff!

On the other hand, I'm really not enjoying the Space Harrier remake. I love the original game, but this remake seems like a bastardised mess to me. Then again, I'm one of those awkward types that would have prefered a lazy, straight port instead of something like this which probably took a lot more effort...

Comment

Working...
                              X