Electroplankton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electroplankton

An audio sandbox to unleash your creativity? It certainly seems so. Like most DS titles best played in short doses. Although it's easy to get lost for upwards of 15 minutes in some of the 10 artistic experiments on offer.

This is marketed as a piece of art from Toshio Iwai, and the presentation follows suit. The first thing you notice is the packaging, a nice shiny blue cardboard box containing the normal plastic DS game case, and packaged with the game a special pair of headphones themed in Electroplankton blue. Unfortunately these headphones are perhaps just a gimmick, as the short minutes I tried using them I wasn't too satisfied, so unplugged them and in went a pair of Sony noise cancellation headphones for a nice improvement. The game also features a now fairly common, "Speaker" or "Headphones" mode selection for a subtly different mix.

I don't want to spoil the specifics of each of the 10 Electroplankton on offer, as part of the fun of this game is to discover them on your own. But the good news for importers is that since this is a piece of art there is no text to speak of, all the interaction is visual and abstract/symbolic, so import away. Main interaction is with the touchscreen, and it's a joy. Some of the 10 plankton games use tap-tap motions to create sound, and some use grand sweeping motions of the stylus like you a directing an orchestra. The 4 directions of the D-Pad are also used for different functions, such as changing the speed of the backing beat in Beatnes, and initiating global changes to the environment in other games (rather than the precise localized changes you make with the stylus). All the performances take place on the touch screen. The top screen is simply used to provide a magnified view of a highlighted plankton, which you can zoom in and out with buttons X and Y.

OK - one thing I would like to know, if anyone else is playing this - what are the different NES game musics in Electroplankton #9 (Beatnes)? Is the second track (moved to by pressing Select) NES Metroid? I had tons of fun with that one. I recall reading that NES Metroid was a unique soundtrack because Hip Tanaka used pure assembly language to compose it. If so, using his hardcore instruments now so easily is quite a treat

Your task for this week: Avoiding the "You just don't get this game and I read Edge so I know what I'm talking about" tone of some attendees of this site, tell me that I just dropped 20 quid on something more than ten cool things to look at when you're stoned (and a VERY quiet pair of blue headphones).

Comment

Originally posted by NyarthMaul
      Your task for this week: Avoiding the "You just don't get this game and I read Edge so I know what I'm talking about" tone of some attendees of this site
      Ok to summarise in layman's terms:

If you're into improvisational music composition, you will like Electroplankton (at least for a while), if you're not then your 20 quid is probably best spent elsewhere.

Comment

where'd you buy this for twenty quid?

Comment

Originally posted by NyarthMaul
          Your task for this week: Avoiding the "You just don't get this game and I read Edge so I know what I'm talking about" tone of some attendees of this site, tell me that I just dropped 20 quid on something more than ten cool things to look at when you're stoned (and a VERY quiet pair of blue headphones).
          If its that bad and you paid twenty quid for it check my wanted thread and make a profit.

I should have had this preordered it looks and sounds like a top title to me.

Comment

I'm not getting rid of it, I love it. However, it's still 20 quid for a ****ty little executive toy. I expect a game for that much. Oh well, at least it came with a pair of STEAL ME headphones.

In answer to the above, I bought it out of the shops when it came out.

Comment

a request - can someone scan the manual please so we can translate it

pm me or charles if you are able to

Comment

Ahh electroplankton arrived but mere moments ago...

Had a quick blast through all the different types & i have to say im very happy with it. The presentation is first class from the beautiful metallic outer box, to the lovingly hand drawn manual. You can clearly see this was a labour of love.

It's a perfect de-stressing game, a few minuites on lumiloop & im super calm.

Comment

You should try the crazy beats of the BeatNES. Loving this piece of 'art'.
                  Warning, if you use it on a bus people will think your a nutter!

Comment

I recorded a quick song I made today. It's not that good, but it's a good taster for those who haven't much of an idea what it's about.

I'll do some more tomorrow now i've got the hang of things

Comment

Can you save songs?

Comment

No you cant save anything.

Comment

Which is really about the only negative point of the program I have so far.
                          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I don't really find myself making actual songs though, just lots of little musical loops, so maybe it's not that much of a downer.

I'm really enjoying working out the subtleties in Tracy. If you draw a tiny little line, you can make a little beat loop, and you also get different tempos if you draw lines slowly or quickly. Haven't figured out how to get bassy notes and trebly notes.

Hanenbow is a lot of fun too.

Comment

I got this yesterday and i have to say it's the most enjoyable and engrossing bit of 'gaming' i've played in years.It's amazing how time flys by when your just messing around with sounds.Anyone know if there is any hidden features?
                              The abstract music you can create sounds like Frank Zappa's experiments with the Synclavier,check out 'Civilization Phaze III' or 'Jazz from hell' to see what i mean.

Comment

Working...
                              X