Stella Deus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stella Deus

Got this game yesterday and I've only really had a chance to play about an hour of it so far. What I've played of it seems pretty good. The music is decent and the story is told in a mixture of in game scenes and some sort of 3d cel-shaded cutscenes(not too dissimilar to Anime).

All of the text I've come across so far seems to be voiced, except for in the 3d cutscenes where there doesn't appear to be any accompanying text(I'm hoping there might be subtitle option for these scenes as I don't want to be missing out on any important plot details). This is where the first problem arises for me, some of the voices seem a bit too quiet and this isn't helped by the fact that the music seems to be pretty loud on the default settings so it is difficult to pick up some of the voices. Although this can be rectified by lowering the BGM volume in the menu and raising the speech volume. It could be just me though as I've been having a bit of trouble with my hearing recently. I've got no real problems with the voice overs as they seem to be pretty good(although again I actually still play Baten Kaitos with the VOs on so you might turn them off anyway).

I've played a couple of battles so far and there certainly seems to be a lot of scope for using strategy due to the battle system. It's not like Disgaea where by you do you're move and then the computer does it's moves. There's a timeline at the top of the screen which shows whose "turn" it is next and by this I mean which character/enemy will get to move and do the various things they want to do. So for example you might find that once you've finished moving and attacking with one character, an enemies turn pops up and they do their thing and then back to another of your characters and so on.

You have a set amount of AP(action points) you can use in each turn, I think this is set to 100 for everyone(I don't know if it increases with level or anything like that). You need AP to move, to attack and to use skills(skills also use MP). This is also what determines when you will get you're next turn with that character. A character gets another turn when their AP reaches 100 and your AP starts to refill as soon as you finish the turn with that character. This means that in one turn you can move right up to an enemy but you might not have enough AP to attack them, so you have to be careful of the amout of AP you use. This can work in your advantage though, because if you can get to the enemy whilst moving as little as possible you can get a couple of attacks on them in one turn. You can of course save your AP and this means your turn with that character will come around much quicker, as the AP will take less "time" to fill e.g. a character finishing a turn with 89AP will obviously get their next turn sooner than a character finishing with 12AP and so on.

According to the manual you can also adjust the upcoming turn order and AP using R1/R2 and L1/L2 respectively. I didn't try this in my short playthrough so I don't know the exact details of how it works. Also according to the manual only you can adjust the turn order, the enemy can't do this.

When you attack an enemy the direction you attack them in affects how much damage you deal and how accurate your attacks are. Attacking from behind gives the best results, whilst attack from the sides is less advantageous and the worst position to attack from being the front of an enemy. The height of the square you're on also plays a big part in battling. I haven't come across a bow user yet but according to the manual if you are on higher ground with a bow user then their attacking range increases. Aside from that it seems the standard rules apply, swords/axes do more damage but have less range than spears and so on. You can rotate the camera in the battles using the right analogue stick, which is very useful IMO.

There's a fair bit to this game, I've barely mentioned the team attacks and skills, fusing items and so on(all of which are mentioned in the manual). I have a feeling most SRPG fans will lap this up(much like I am right now). I'm not too sure about where the story is going but for the moment at least I'm in love with the combat which can only be a good thing. My main problem now is going to be finding the time to play more of this game, especially with my uni exams coming up in a few weeks and with the huge backlog of games to play through.

this arrived in the mail yesterday. initial 5 minute impressions before i had to leave it were that it looks freakin sweet, i really like the graphical style. and the combat system works really well. but this is playing it for no time at all. can't wait to get some time to put a real effort in.

Comment

Is this a US release?

Comment

Originally posted by Briareos
        Is this a US release?
        Yes. The full title of the game is Stella Deus: The gate of eternity. It was released in Japan a few months ago and has just recently been released in the US by Atlus.

Comment

I've spent 20 hours playing this game this week, and it is a top SRPG. The AP system works quite well; you soon discover that using up the entirely lot in one go isn't always the best strategy, you need to lure out the enemy into your effect zone so you can strike at them, and then get out the way so they can't use special skills.

The AI in the game has been really well done - the support units (such as archers and healers) do their best to annoy you by staying back, making them harder to get to, whilst healing the axe and swordsmen after you do damage - this is why effective use of the AP and timeline is so important.

The AP of the characters when finish is selected can be adjusted from the current available AP downwards. So, all the powerful characters can be lined up to take turns after each other - hence they can be used to kill an enemy without leaving scope for the priests to heal it. Or, you'd adjust the AP so that your priest would get a turn after the enemy thugs have given someone a beating.

It is quite a difficult game - just playing the story mode through on its own is not enough to level the characters sufficiently, as little as a 2 level difference between you and the enemy means likely defeat. This forces you to do the quests and catacombe - only in the catacombe can levels be replayed, so things do get a little repeatitive; they aren't random maps like in item world in Disgaea, they're the same maps with the characters in the same place.

The game is pretty massive, but I can't say I care much for the story though. The voice acting is appauling, and unfortunately unlike the other RPGs from the Atlus stble of late, there is no option for the Japanese soundtrack that I can find.

Addition skills can be learnt by spending SP earnt in battle, but the skills are fairly limited. You can also "rank up" which makes more skill slots and skills available. This is done with a certain item which you get after some battles - each character type has a different item that'll do this. They can also be gained from "fusing" two items together at the guild.

Fusing doesn't seam to have very much logic to it though - the results are the same each time for the chosen donor items, but the resulting item doesn't seem to make much sense, so if you're after something specific it's a matter of trial and error. Fortunately someone on Gamefaqs has listed every item and fusion results, that must have taken bloody ages.

There are losts of stats in this game, lots and lots. There are the base stats your characters have, and the secondary stats that the effects of equipment have. For example, equipment has weight, and these can slow you down or reduce movement, making it a case of juggling the increase in stats against movement and effect zone (and movement is important in this game). There are also status effects such as poisen or the annoying fear. There is a boss chacter early on that puts fear into the characters - this prevents them from using attacks or skills, you can still run away and running away eventually removes the fear. Either that or you "Badge of bravery" or a character with the recover skill who isn't in fear.

Yup, tough game, but interesting. SRPGs fans should check this out.
          Last edited by MartyG; 27-05-2005, 10:14.

Comment

This came out in PAL land last Friday courtesy of 505 Gamestreet and appears to have had a very limited release, only listed on Game.net (and instore) and Play.com. Gameplay and Amazon have no mention of it. Boxart is the same as the US release apart from a small 505 Gamestreet nametag across the bottom left of the front of the packaging. Unlike the disgraceful PAL releases of Nippon Ichi SRPGs Stella Deus is on DVD complete with 50/60Hz mode but is US language only, the same as the NTSC-U release.

I haven't had much chance to play it but initial impressions are good. The use of SP to both move and attack seems like a good play mechanic, graphics are solid if not spectacular and voice acting is actually pretty good, even the game does have a voice of doom narrator at the start. I look forward to putting some more time into it to find out how good the game actually is with extended play.

Comment

Working...
            X