No announcement yet.

Silent Hill 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dude - disturbing is only brushing the surface - from the intro movie (not the attract mode bit before you start playing but the actual section before your in the game) to the look of the monsters, to the use of lighting and shadows, to the intriguing cutscenes which you just don't 'get' until further into the story (ah, thats what that was about etc etc), to the eerie use of musical score and sound effects (something which the Silent Hill franchise excells in) - everything is just right to set you on edge

5 mins into the game i was thinking "ah well, just another survival horror", 10 mins into the game i was thinking "what the ****!!!" and 20 mins into the game i was jumping at every shadow, looking around anxiously to every creak (in my room, not ingame) and in an heightened state of awareness due to a mad adrenal rush from being **** up so much

I could do another hour or so before i go to sleep - but i think i will wait for daylight

camps

Comment

it's up there with the first game. at times you find yourself apparantly descending into complete darkness thinking to yourself, what am i doing!? it's reliable because it doesn't use scare tactics a la Resident Evil to make you jump, it's just genuinely unsettling. the new monsters are Francis Bacon paintings reanimated. but no sirens (yet).

you must play it alone at night, let your mind start to drift a bit and by the time you go to bed it will have you! i'm too scared to turn my PC off now and make the short journey from the living room to my bedroom cos it involves stuff like, turning lights off!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_T
        you must play it alone at night, let your mind start to drift a bit and by the time you go to bed it will have you! i'm too scared to turn my PC off now and make the short journey from the living room to my bedroom cos it involves stuff like, turning lights off!
        Hell yes!!

That's the effect SH1 had on me, actually creeped me out so much on night I couldn't fall asleep cos I kept hearing things.

Conversely I always had a superb kip after playing SH2, whether I wanted it or not - cos it bored me to pieces.

You say you haven't come across any sirens yet? I can only imagine how freaked out you'll get if they DO occur - time to turn the PS2 off and have a sanity break.

I hope I find it as creepy as yous guys are.

Comment

I'm going to wander in to town at lunch time to pick this up. I hope it's more [twisted] along the lines of the first Silent Hill, with the alternate town being like a Clive Barker novel. I did enjoy Silent Hill 2 after the first couple of hours, the Hotel, and the Prison sections were especially creepy...

Originally posted by spoiler
          I heard that in SH3 you get to visit some areas from Silent Hill 1 which could be interesting...

Comment

Just got it today and have been playing this for the past 10 minutes upto the first save point and all i can say is, how is this possible on playstation 2 . Character models look absolutely amazing especially the detective and the skin texture looked very good. Also how is ps2 pulling of textures of this quality as well? I`m just astonished at how great this looks. Upto yet though i`m realy liking it and her waking up in a cafe instantly reminded me of the first. Loving it at the moment though.

Comment

Hmm, does SH3 require much knowledge about its predecessors to be enjoyed? I stalled about half way through SH1 due to lack of time, and never played SH2.

Comment

Just got it today and have been playing this for the past 10 minutes upto the first save point and all i can say is, how is this possible on playstation 2 . Character models look absolutely amazing especially the detective and the skin texture looked very good. Also how is ps2 pulling of textures of this quality as well? I`m just astonished at how great this looks. Upto yet though i`m realy liking it and her waking up in a cafe instantly reminded me of the first. Loving it at the moment though.

It's partly just down to great understanding of the PS2's hardware and understanding its weak points and strengths. Money, extremely talented artists, designers and programmers help as well I suppose.

I too, can't understand how Konami have generated some of the visuals in Silent Hill 3.

I mean, have you seen the detail on Dougla's face the first time you meet him?

It's almost at FF: Spirit's Within standard.

I bought the game about an hour ago. Got it staring me in the face now... I'm trying to persuade myself it'll be better waiting until the dead of the night to tuck in though.

Comment

I think I just set the world record in High Jumping.

Brr....

Comment

Originally posted by Hidden Character
                    Hmm, does SH3 require much knowledge about its predecessors to be enjoyed?
                    not at all it's completely autonomous, there are references you'll get if you've played the others but the stories aren't connected.

Comment

the stories are connected - well SH1 and SH3 are

nuff said on that matter for now anyways (spoilers)

camps

Comment

oops, there you go they are connected then

Originally posted by spoiler
                        i have guessed so far that your character is the daughter of the main character in SH1, is that right?
                        i reckon SH3 is a good starting point as so far it's the best of the two prvious games.

Comment

Well I`ve put in a few hours so far. The over all presentation is breath taking IMO, some of the sound fx remind me of some bad Nine inch nails remixes I`ve got hiden in my cd collection

Comment

RE: the worldwide release in July with the soundtrack.

Is it getting rereleased over here with the soundtrack? Cos if it is then Ill hang on for it.

Comment

I`m glad I didn`t wait for the ntsc version this game it`s sooooo good.
                              Did anyone else try to unblock the toilet? LMAO

Comment

Sounds like I should buy this tomorrow

Does the PAL version have a 60hz mode guys?

Comment

Working...
                                X