Grandia III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandia III

In short, Grandia III is pretty much what one would expect of a fourth game from the Grandia franchise; It's Grandia, but hopped on a few steps and bounds to incorporate looks and touches that are slightly more fashionable for modern game designs.

Whilst the graphical step onwards from Grandia II and Xtreme is unquestionable, the size of the step often feels unremarkable. Cutscenes are attractively rendered with voice acting matched to accurately animated lips and expressions leading to the creation of vibrantly exciting characters, but non-close-up shots use much simpler, lower-poly models which break the effect slightly. It's not a technique that hasn't been used before in the world of rpgs, but other examples of using simple and complex models hide their differences much more effectively, such as in Final Fantasies X and (to a greater extent) X-2. The rest of the game world is colourfully designed, but it's simplicity and lower frame rate fails to really impress on a regular basis. There are instances where broad vistas and landscapes open up beautifully in the sunlight, but these moments are too few and far between to allow you to forget the simplicity of the paths that lead between them.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh. The game slots nicely in with late-gen worlds graphically, but when other games such as Radiata Stories are creating much brighter, more vivid worlds to explore, what would otherwise shine in Grandia II turns to more a of a dimmer glow. I have only played the first 2 and a half hours so it really is 'first impressions' here.

Graphical issues are largely turned to on side in battle, however, as fights explode into action in full 60fps glory. The battle system remains largely unchanged from what has come before, which is definitely a very good thing. Fights carefully blend a mix of action and strategy without ever getting too far into either end. Enough data is presented to allow you to make a shrewdly accutate tactical decision at any time, but there's never too much data such that you unecessarily have to stop to think hard about each and every move. Important decisions must be made regularly, but each of these decisions take little longer than a few seconds to make. It's an exciting and compelling mix of action and strategy that means that even though battles can be sidestepped by simply running around enemies on the world map, few foes will be left unbeaten.

The battle interface has a slightly 'techno' feel, with targets and cursors that reward strategical success with a thrilling succession of visual and aural cues. For the Grandia uninitiated, battles revolve (literally in this instalment) around the time bar in the top left of the screen, indicating when each charater will have their turn to make a move. At its simplest, characters have a chioce to make a quick, powerful double-strike or a slower, weaker single-strike that knocks their opponent further backwards on the time bar. catching someone with a slow strike just as their making their move (they may be charging a spell or in the animation frames of attacking someone) cancels their current move, pushing them far back along the time line. Add to this the ability to charge and cast spells and abilities (some of which can cancel moves, much like the single-strike moves) and the ability to move about and defend in order to avoid attacks, and Grandia suddenly has a great level of detail and subtlety that makes each fight so engrossing.

Grandia fans will notice two changes to the battle system. Cancelling moves have gained the additional characteristic of becoming launching moves - cancelling an attack drung the 'Act' phase will result in the enemy being flung into the air. Other characters that are at the 'Command' stage on the time bar as an enemy is airborne can combo attack the suspended foe in a highly dmamging, extravagantly animated aerial attack, with a hugely satisfying flourish for an 'aerial finish' when the enemy is killed in such a fashion. Keeping enemies' positions on the time bar in firm control with cancels and attacks was thrilling fun before this addition, but the shimmer of pulling an aerial attack together in the thick of a fast, hectic battle comes as nothing short of orgasmic, and the visual and audio promts really try to emphasise that point. It's an excellent addition to what was already the finest combat system in traditional Japanese RPGs.

A subtle help system is also present in battles now, with halp markers offerring suggestions on which moves to make according to situations. It's a useful aid to newcomers and pros alike, offering suggestions of how to best take advantagge of the games' strategic subtleties by suggesting how to cancel attacks and defend spells, as well as indicating which spells and moves are simply too quick to cancel (the only impediment of the japanese language upon the battles is the data on which move an enemy will use next, which can be important when timing for cancels and aerial finishes). As with Grandia II, the tutorial does an exemplary job of explaining the combat system, even if the player has no grasp of the Japanese language.

My one gripe with the battles in GIII, however, is the camera angle. Ga have tried to make the fights feel more hectic and faster by placing the camera lower to the ground with a wider angle. For this task, it does its job - battlse seem very exciting to watch indeed, but tactically it feels like a hinderance, leaving me wanting a higher, Grandia II-esque overview of the entire field. The camera usually locks onto one of the characters in battle (the character focused upon can be altered withthe shoulder buttons), but this leaves parts of the battlefield and other characters out of sight. It's not such a problem when battles are in motion, but it makes things a little awkward when making decisions and giving commands. An overview persective can be obtained by holding L2 or R2 but this is mainly for looking over each character and enemy and their statuses - commands from the main menu can't be selected in thsi view. It'd be nice to be able to lock the camera in this higher view for the whole battle, but it can't be done. It'd be useful to see who is looking at who (enemies look at who they're going to attack next, even when waiting for their turns, though this data can also by putting the cursor on them) when giving commands. The lower view also makes it much harder to judge distances (characters can only move so far in each move - if commanded to attack an enemy that is too far away, they'll waste a turn trying in vain to reach them) and positions when moving characters in order to dodge. It's an annoyance that is overcome in time, but is an annoyance that could and should have been avoided by simply offering options on where the camera lies in battles.

I haven't quite gotten to grips with the levelling up system, but it looks like abilities and spells level up through repeated use, rather than by allocating points, as was the case in Grandia II. Mana Eggs and Spell Books return, though it's a little too early for me to quite realise exactly how they work this time around. The story begins with the theme of flight, the intro sequence showing how protagonist Yuki is inspired by the famous pilot Shcmidt, but this theme seems to dissipate soon after in favour of travel on land, at least for the opening few hours. Leading lady Alfina arrives in a mannr not unlike Skies of Arcadia's Fina, being chased by soldiers led by a rather mean-looking Dunkel. Real originality will no doubt arrive in time, but for now it's only the brightness of Yuki and Miranda that really entice, story-wise. The vioce acting seems quite down-to-earth, which I quite like, though I can only pick out choice phrases so it's not like I know exactly what a good VA will do that a bad one won't, but I like the voice acting in this. The soundtrack, too, seems good so far.

As a bit of a fan of Grandia II (especially the battles), GIII does it right for me, building upon its successes by offering a faster battle system with bigger areas to explore and fight in, though I'm sure it'll be a few more hours before I can really tell from what extent it's been able to build and where.

Thanks for the views, massive fan of the series myself

BTW,
    Whats the music like so far?., Big fan of Iwadare music scores

Comment

I'm quite keen on his work too. All seems good so far - bar the jpop opening track 'In the Sky' by Miz, it feels quite typical of his work as well, not straying too far from the paths trodden in Grandia II. It feels a lot less thematic and eventful, if you get what I mean. So far there's been fewer tunes and melodies and more background sounds. The soundtrack seems happier ot take a backing role so far but still retains the same old Iwadare quality. Looking forward to spending more time with the game.

The more I think about it, there are small tweaks to the timings in the battles which make me feel as if i have to learn the system all over again, which is a nice touch for returning fans, rather than getting the feeling we've seen it all before. Like the characters have dashes as part of their attack animations when they approach enemies, which takes a bit of getting used to. It really is much harder (if not impossible) to hit a moving taget that isn't coming straight at you so target selection becomes a little more important. Also running away from attacking foes doesn't seem anywhere near as effective at 'swaying' attacks as it was for GII. This may also be down to what feels like smaller battlefields populated with more enemies which reduces movement options.

Comment

what about the language barrier? and when is the US Version out?

Comment

As you would expect from an RPG, the language barrier is huge in terms of the entire experience of the plotline. Story enthusiasts would find it hard to find much pleasure in any RPG they can't read or listen to. I've also heard complaints from basic Japanese readers that the text is too small and scrolls too fast automatically for learners of the language to catch everything, though I'm not a reader of the language myself. But to play the game, much of it is very intuitive, with spots of english text here and there, but a vast majority in Japanese. Exploration so far has been relatively simple (though I've only played in one town - Yuki's home village - so far) and players used to the trial-and-error, try-everyhting approach to playing foreign language games shouldn't find too much problem progressing early on at least. As mentioned above, the tutorial and battle system is excellently handled, with iconic prompts to match the text advice in the early tutorials. Most commands are made through a system of icons that helpfully transcend language. Grandia fans will have no problem picking up the battle system again and I imagine even those new to the game will be able to pick up how it all works and be able to have some fun with it. I imagine the nuances of levelling up and accessing new abilities may remain hidden for awhile as all menus are mostly japanese, but the system of equipping mana eggs and spell books looks to be pretty intuitive so far, with levelling of such items being automatic, though some sort of skill equipping system seems to exist as well (I don't have enough skills to really use this part yet, but a very blunt comparison for imagination's sake would liken it to FFVII's materia system).

If, like me, you're a sucker for Grandia's battles, it's worth exploring this title despite the language difficulties. Those looking for the full experience or something else from GIII (Grandia II's NPCs stood out for their witty and interesting conversations, for example, which would be lost in the language barrier) should most likely wait for an English translation, though I'm not sure when that will be. I dopn't think there's an announced date yet, though a translation at some stage seems certain.

Comment

Rpg's are the one genre i would never import no matter how good the combat is.I love a story and characters and a RPG where i cannot understand that would be useless to me

Comment

Grandia III gets its US release tomorrow and the first reviews are trickling in. It got a 7.6 at IGN, but that's beside the point. It has the same combat as Grandia Xtreme!

Cannae wait!

Comment

Indeed. I actualyl put this game back down once I'd onvinced myself that this game really is too good to waste on a half-experience of playing it in Japanese. Grandia is still great fun!

Comment

Got mine from tronix today and put in a few hours so far and it's been classic grandia so far. The battle system has been left intact and is as good as ever the air combos are a nice addition that doesn't ruin the combat in any way, you learn magic & skills from skill books and mana eggs like in grandia 2.
                  The graphics are very nice, the voice acting is decent and gets the job done nicely, music so far is ok although I preferred grandia 2's battle music as for the plot it's ok although I'm note expecting much from it as all the reviews reckon it drops off later in disc 2, I am pleased to see the scenes were you rest at your camp are still intact as they are nice little character scenes. Anyway so far so good and defiantly recommend the game to any grandia fan.

Comment

Got to have a quick bash at this last night. Enjoying it quite a lot already, if only for the battle system. Certainly keeps things interesting, and I can imagine also opens up the window for some nice challenges to keep things fresh.

Comment

Been playing this game for the last few days, not got very far at all because I've just not had the time, but I'm loving it to bits.

It is quite similar to Grandia II in style, but don't let tht put you off because from what I've seen, the execution is so much better. Characters who are NOT depressive gits with bad attitudes just out for revenge. The whole feeling at the start is very upbeat, going on a quick adventure to help out your new friend... this is a real breath of fresh air because you actually want to play.

Combat, this is just Grandia on speed... same old thing, but with new stuff such as combining attacks and the like. This is also a real breath of fresh air.
                      I don't always agree with Penny Arcade, but they hit the nail on the head when they praised Grandia III for a battle system which gives the control to the USER, allowing the USER to battle in their own way while still having fun. This new battle system that has been pimped in FFXI, which resembles most MMORPG's, is really a step backwards as far as I'm concerned.

I'm still scratching the surface here, but initial impressions are positive. Grandia fans won't be disappointed, and people who have never played Grandia before should do so now, and experience the best battle system of any RPG, and has been since the original was released in late 1997.

Comment

Sounds awesome, let's hope it gets a UK release sometime and lets hope that they don't mess it up!

Comment

Hear, hear. I've just about caught up to as far as I got with the Jpn version (which wasn't terribly far) and everything I chatted about in the first posts of this thread still applies. In addition, I think the voicework is pretty solid - there have been far worse dubs produced and some characters do have a lot of personality to them. Miranda's VA stands out as the real highlight so far, with some really punchy deliveries that really push across the character well. Also, following how Ryudo had the same VA and voice as Kaneda of Akira fame, am I alone in thinking that Alfeena has a very similar voice to Sasami from Tenchi Muyo?

Anyway, so far the plot has yet to really kick in for me. It's light, but the opening few hours are like playing Skies of Arcadia again. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it does feel like a lot has been lifted from there, at least to begin with. I'm not sure if the pacing of travelling is quite right yet, but then I haven't seen much yet - there are a lot of encounters between towns/events, making ti feel quite drawn out at times. Enemies can be avoided on the field of exploration, but then that's hardly the point with Grandia's excellent battle system

Comment

Lucky.....

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive....the wait is absolutely killing me, I want this game so much.8)

Comment

Mine turned up a couple of days ago, only two hours into it, but so far it's the Grandia goodness that I remember.

Had fun with the first boss battle at the camp site though, Alfina died twice.

I really like the fact that it's harder to powerlevel your character beyond the content in Grandia games

Comment

Working...
                              X