Resident Evil - NGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resident Evil - NGC

Couldn't find a thread for the game so thought i would create one! I've started the game again, except this time i'm playing as Chris Redfield instead of Jill Valentine. I completed the game some two years ago with Jill, but this is me just getting round to playing with Chris (welcome to adulthood).

The game is obviously easier than the first time around (even if i'am carrying less items) since you know where everything is! But still, it's a great experience playing it again after all this time!

Maybe i'll go back and play Metroid Prime again once Resident Evil is completed. I never did complete Metroid Prime, as the game is ****in huge!!

Heh, I never bothered beating that last boss in Prime.

Anyway, onto RE. I think that RE began to stink quite quickly. RE1 blew me away back in the day. RE2 did a little too, although about halfway through the game I started to feel like I was just replaying the first one. Which is why, even with the lovely graphics, Code Veronica bored me to tears - once again, it was pretty much the same game. Is it impossible to make an RE without a mansion of some sort? Or without a secret lab hidden behind or below said mansion? How about a countdown at the end? How unlucky are these characters that they seem to have the exact same thing happen to them over and over?

And yet, I adored playing the RE remake. The backgrounds are stunning. So much more atmospheric than anything we had seen in RE before. Yeah, the controls are still clunky but it's a fine game. It's a classic and this cube version is by far the best.

But, man, how I laughed out loud when I found yet another mansion in RE0. Then wept a bit...

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang
      Heh, I never bothered beating that last boss in Prime.

Anyway, onto RE. I think that RE began to stink quite quickly. RE1 blew me away back in the day. RE2 did a little too, although about halfway through the game I started to feel like I was just replaying the first one. Which is why, even with the lovely graphics, Code Veronica bored me to tears - once again, it was pretty much the same game. Is it impossible to make an RE without a mansion of some sort? Or without a secret lab hidden behind or below said mansion? How about a countdown at the end? How unlucky are these characters that they seem to have the exact same thing happen to them over and over?

And yet, I adored playing the RE remake. The backgrounds are stunning. So much more atmospheric than anything we had seen in RE before. Yeah, the controls are still clunky but it's a fine game. It's a classic and this cube version is by far the best.

But, man, how I laughed out loud when I found yet another mansion in RE0. Then wept a bit...
      Did you play RE:CV when it 1st came out on the DC or later on on the other systems?

I felt the opposite about RE remake and RE:CV since I hated going back to pre rendered backgrounds and a static camera. Some areas looked really good while other areas looked really fake (like a 3d character moving around in a static painting) and that just spoiled the atmosphere. The 1st RE never really had any interesting characters or storylines apart from Lisa's which
      wasn't really explored that well.

Metroid Prime's last boss is one of the best boss battles ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang
        I think Code Veronica was the best (worst?) for that. The mansion on the island was one thing but then you get to Antarctica and find out that there's another mansion. In the remote base. And it's a replica of the mansion from RE1. I was hitting my head against the wall by then.

The thing that puts me off most RE games is that they all try to do something different initially but always end up in an overrun secret lab. That almost put me off RE4 when it did a great job of differentiating itself (castle != mansion) but then just threw you into a secret lab for most of the second disc.

Comment

The clunky controls always put me of the resident evil games EXCEPT for resi evil 3 i found the dodge move a very usefull addition

Comment

the Biohazard remake has to one of my most played and favourite games of the past few years, i like it so much i own PAL, NTSC-U and NTSC-J versions. yes, i'm that sad...

sure the voice-acting is corny, and it boils down to 'point A -> point B, pick up key/shield/switch return to point B move onto point C'. but the atmposphere it provokes thanks to the genuinely wonderful graphics and audio has yet to bettered, even by Biohazard 4... *gets ready to peg it from thread*

i'm not too keen on Code: Veronica as it's too much of a jolt moving from the pre-rendered to the 3D engine backgrounds. plus it's, as NekoFever said, more mansion malarkey and the puzzles are just lazy. saying that i do have a soft spot for Biohazard Zero.

Comment

Originally posted by the_dude
              Couldn't find a thread for the game so thought i would create one!!
              You need to use the search function more! Resident Evil GC Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by gizmo1990
                You need to use the search function more! Resident Evil GC Appreciation
                I did only search the first play thread, sorry! Ah well, **** happen's!
                Last edited by the_dude; 31-08-2005, 09:54.

Comment

If I may raise this thread from its grave in the Arklay Mountains, does anyone know if the Japanese version has an english text option?

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
                    If I may raise this thread from its grave in the Arklay Mountains, does anyone know if the Japanese version has an english text option?

Cheers!
                    Not that I remember. I had all the jp versions and always used Japanese.

Comment

Nope, as Supergoal says Jap version does not have english text option. Im sure you can pick up a US version very cheap now though.

Comment

Thanks very much for the info, much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                        X