Medievil: Resurrection- PSP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medievil: Resurrection- PSP

Well my misses gave me this game the day before the PSP launches in Australia, and let me tell you it is good!

Befor i go into detail here is a quick rundown:

Confirms PAL games work with US machine.
    Contains playable demos of Medievil Wipeout and Fired up, (and if you pre-order fired up, CANCEL IT!!!)
    Contains only the 1.52 ver update.
    Is a port of the ps1 game with added extras such as 2 player, mini games improved graphics.

Ok, the graphics in the game are good. Not the best, but certainly a lot better than the ps1 game.

Gameplay is great just as i remember. It is a little twitchy at first, but you soon get used to it and it becomes great.

Sound is awesome as well and the narrator is hilarious. Great voice work.

All in all a 9/10 and so far the second best game on the handheld, just behind Lumines. Go buy it.

Any questions i'll answer!

Good summary.
    It's not actually a port though, I read it was totally remade, like all the levels were redesigned for instance.

Comment

Im a huge fan of the original MediEvil. Since christmas 1998 I've been playing through it about once a year.

So, of course this Semi-remake, Semi-sequel looked very interesting. And, by all means, it is. There are a lot of new stuff in the game. All the cinematics are redone and there are also lots of new ones. They all look great.

There are also a lot of new characters in the game. Inside Dan's head there's this really weird gnome with a foreign accent. He comments on a lot of things, but his remarks are mostly just silly and unfunny.

And does anybody remember the original game having you go fetching a lot of items for Death himself? I don't, because that wasn't in the original. There are a lot of small changes like this, and of course they are interesting but they just don't mix well with the game. It really feels like the developers have put in things without much thought. It feels very weird, and the story now is really just jumping around all over the place.

The stages are mostly completely redone and bigger then they were before. You still have to collect the same items and do the same thing though, so it doesn't feel all new. Some stages are left mostly unchanged, for example the Hilltop Mausoleum.

I haven't finished the game yet but you can clearly see that they have removed a couple of stages from the original game. For example, the Jack of the Green-stage (the one with the maze and all the puzzles) is not here anymore. This is really sad cause this was the originals most fun stage.

There are a couple of new stages instead. For example there is a giant carnival with lots of Minigames and other small quests. The Minigames are fun and all, but not very deep and they all are just variatons on running around spinning your sword or shooting things from a first person perspective.

Gameplay-wise there is a lock-on feature added. In theory this is great but it just doesn't work that well. Like before, you just kinda run around and swing your sword like som kind of lunatic. Not getting hit is near impossible.

To sum it up, MediEvil: Resurrection is...ok. The Graphics are great, the music and speech is mostly wonderful and everything has that special Tim Burton-feeling the original had. But the gameplay lacks, the stages are remade but that doesn't mean they are well designed (cause they ain't) and all the small tweaks and new things feel somewhat missplaced.

If you really need an action-adventure-game for your PSP, by all means check MediEvil out. But this is just ok when it should have been great.
      Last edited by Aven; 04-09-2005, 08:31.

Comment

Working...
      X