Lunar - Dragon Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunar - Dragon Song

I picked this up for the DS the other day and I've put in ten or so hours into this very basic RPG. Sadly it's mugs like me that get lured into buying handheld RPGs like this early on in a console's lifespan, especially so in this case as I was after a bit of decent gameage whilst I'm out on holiday for a bit. I was kind of hoping that this would be quite different and a step on from all the GBA RPGs that I'd played - many of them were quite uninspiring really, particularly in the story department; even when the game mechanincs were quite good fun, the plots and characters were simplistic, second-rate affairs.

Dragon Song does little to change the trend, however. In fact it really just feels like a GBA game that has been shoehorned onto the DS. Graphically it's dissappointing with poorly animated sprites in an isometric world. Golden Sun honestly looks more impressive than this.

The gameplay is very much a product of old rpg design; it's simple beyond belief, too simple really. There really isn't enough control involved to make the battles at all satisfying or tactically engaging. All commands for your three characters have to be input before each round of moves, and then all the moves are carried out in order of agility stats. You can't even choose which enemy you want each character attacks; the artificial unintelligence decides this for you, often making the least tactically sound decisions, much to my frustration. e.g. two enemies can be taken down in one hit, one does a lot of damage when it attacks, the other does next to nothing. so which one does the AI attack first? the weaker one, naturally Since there aren't many magic options, most of the time it's just attack, attack, attack. The inclusion of an auto mode (where characters automatically attack) and a speed-up option (by holding the L or R buttons) almost seems like a concession to the fact that Dragon Song really isn't interesting in the battle department.

Now I'm not one of those sorts of people that feels every DS game should be using its host hardware to innovate in every game - not all of the most enjoyable games I've played are necessarily innovative - but in terms of how Dragon Song utilises the DS's functions, it's possibly one of the least inspiring displays on offer. Technically, almost the entire game can be played with the stylus and touchscreen alone; arrows on the edge of the lower screen contol movement and all selections can be made by touching the relevant icons on the lower screen. However, playing the game with the conventional button and pad controls is by far the more convenient option and most, if not all, players will soon move back to this after some experimentation with the touchscreen. The microphone is also used for running from battles - given the problems I had playing touch wario in an aeroplane, I imagine this might pose similar problems in places with loud ambient noises.

The plot is completely linear and there's no option as to who of the five playable characters will make up your three-person squad, which is currently frustrating me as I'm at a point of the game where I have no healer. In fact, given the choice, I'd probably never want to take out either of the two attacking optional characters since their attacks are so much weaker and ineffective than the lead character's combo attacks and the AI does not adapt its tactics to account for this. There's also the frustrating matter of how running in the field of exploration reduces your HP, forcing you to walk through most of the sections in a frustratingly slow manner. And then there's the way in which you have to pick whether you earn experience in battle or items that can be used to make money - one or the other only, which forces you to effectively level up twice as much - once for the levels and again to make enough money to buy decent equipment.

Lunar Dragon Song does it's best at every corner to shoot itself in the foot with its design choices. Then it saws off the injured leg and pours salt into the wound.

That being said, I haven't given up on it yet and I am still playing it. That'll probably be the level-upper in me just wanting to grind my way through it I suppose. I think the problem is that some developers feel it's the format of RPGs that fans are after, and Dragon Song does provide a game in the RPG format for DS owners on the move. But RPGs it's the other stuff that the format of RPGs offer that are the real attractions: tactics, growth, character development, plotlines, exploration, etc. And still many handheld RPGs lack this.
    Last edited by Chief H; 01-11-2005, 06:03.

What's the translation like? Does it have the humour of the originals?

As for DS RPGs - you know Mario & Luigi will be ace, not long now.

Comment

I picked this up when it first came out in the US and didn't get very far into it. It seemed unfinished, with really unimpressive, amateurish even, graphics and poor mechanics.

Losing health when you run instead of walk (which is painfully slow) is just one of this games many flaws. It's the worst DS game I've bought so far, and definately not worth the cash.

Comment

Hmm I was looking at getting this to feed my RPG hunger, but by the sounds of it, its not too great

Mario + Luigi is probs the best bet till the Final Fantasy games come along

Comment

I too was planning on picking this up, don't think I will be bothering now though

Comment

What a shame.

Lunar: SSS is one of my favourite RPGs, and the second one was good too, but since then the series hasn't really found its feet. The GBA remake of SSS was poor and it looks like this is the same.

Excellent impressions Edd, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaladron
              What's the translation like? Does it have the humour of the originals?
              It's nowhere near the quality of a Working Designs translation, and there are loads of typos. They could at least have run it through a spell checker.

Comment

Mm, yes, i forgot to mention that the script is plain awful. Full of typos and badly-formed phrases, I feels a little confused and often missing some of its meaning. I really haven't played either SSS or EB much (I've only really seen the opening few sections) and even they struck me as having more character and connection between the characters than DS does. It's really quite empty.

I'm very optimistic with RPGs though and I'll no doubt keep going in this to see what lies ahead, just as I did with Atelier Iris (in which no real twists or thrills ever arrived). The game moves incredibly slowly, largely thanks to the forced choice of either earning exp or loot from battles. It always feels like such hard work, when it shouldn't. It breaks my heart to not like Dragon Song after meeting the game's director, but it's the sad truth
                Last edited by Chief H; 01-11-2005, 14:53.

Comment

From these impressions it sounds just as disappointing, generic and poor as Lunar Legend, which I pulled apart bit-by-bit and then beat with a big stick here.
                  Bit of self-promotion there

Comment

vertigo - Excellent review of Legend there, words cannot express the disappointment I felt upon playing that game. How they managed to screw that one up so badly amazes me.

It's nowhere near the quality of a Working Designs translation
                    To be honest, I think we're all rather foolish for expecting ANY RPG translation to match the work done by WD.

What amazed me was that WD got a lot of stick at the time for 'tampering' with the scripts of the games they translated, Lunar especially. Some people were put off by the Western jokes WD had inserted (I can only presume they wished that the original Japanese gags, rendered totally unfunny by being in English, had remained). The humour wasn't laugh out loud funny, but along with the excellent dialogue it made the game feel a bit more 'natural', and no as forced as most translations.

WD's translation of Lunar: SSS was amazing. Every piece of the script was measured and about as perfect as you could get - they had clearly spent a lot of time on the translation. But then they were brave enough to make this their mission - WD have always stated that they give their work 100%. (Let's forget for a moment the rather dodgy Western version of Silhouette Mirage, however...)

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
                      vertigo - Excellent review of Legend there, words cannot express the disappointment I felt upon playing that game. How they managed to screw that one up so badly amazes me.
                      Thanks. Some people have said to me that I was too harsh on it but to be quite honest I don't think so. It deserved a good kicking, especially in light of the crazy RPG fanboys that did some of the other reviews there, so that's what it got.
                      I think a lot of people make the mistake of just giving bad games 6/10 and average 7.5 or so. There have been a few reviews I've read there and other places by people that seem to start off at 10 and dock games points for bad bits. Review madness! Currently putting together a blog post in my head regarding that very thing, actually.
                      Last edited by vertigo; 01-11-2005, 15:22.

Comment

True, bad games should be given a kicking.

Lunar Legend was so bad I couldn't play for more than a few hours. A total sham and nothing like the excellent original.

Comment

Working...
                        X