Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dazzyman
    Is there much difference graphically to Civ 3
    It is the biggest graphical update in its history probably, it actually looks nice now although my PC (2.8GHz, 1GB of RAM, Radeon 9700 Pro) does chug a bit on large maps at 1280*1024.

This is a really fantastic game, there are so many small improvements and refinements to the core concepts of the game and all of them work fantastically.

I cant see any fans of the series disappointed with this installment.

Comment

With My PC overheating everytime I stick Oblivion in, I've been playing Civ 4 with my brother again to pass away the time (which still messes up a little in the heat but at least the thing works). It's fun, but our lack of competitiveness in real life translates into the game aswell, so we always end up playing cooperative.

The first expansion, Civilization 4: Warlords came out last night and have had a 'quick' go on it in between work. The main game seems pretty much unchanged so far, with a couple of additions, name changes. Have yet to have enough combat to gain the new warlord unit, but I intend to correct that soon.

What has been fun is the Barbarian mode, which I think anyone who've played any of the Civs extensivly will appreciate. This is where you play the annoying Barbarians attacking your cities and units early on in the game and the computer plays all the civs. Instead of cities, you have mobile camps which produces units after you build up enough combat experience. (There's also a Genghis Khan Scenerio which uses these camps, but have yet to try it.) The game begins with a fixed amount of gold to spend on units and experience upgrades, then it lets you loose on the civ world where the PC has already been playing for 25-100 turns. Sacking cities, destroying farms and mines, have never been more fun. You cant seige cities, only destroy them, which along with other pillaging gives you money for your camp unit to move after enough combat has taken place.

Throughout all my time of playing the Civ games, alpha centauri and Call to Powes, I've never been a scenerio fan, favouring the main game. This has now changed.

I'll try to do another post after the weekend, after a 'little' more gameplay has taken place.

Comment

I'm still playing this. And pretty rabidly for the last month or so.

After prolonged play I think its the best Civilization there's been (previously I thought that it was Civ II). It all feels perfectly balanced. And the Warlords expansion rounds it off nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Ish View Post
          After prolonged play I think its the best Civilization there's been (previously I thought that it was Civ II). It all feels perfectly balanced. And the Warlords expansion rounds it off nicely.
          I'm currently taking break from Civ IV while I'm waiting for the new add-on disk, Beyond the Sword. It looks really interesting feature-wise.

Comment

I've pretty much only been playing Civ IV these last two months, it's been quite a dry spell for decent multi-player PC games. Civ is one of those awesome games that you can just dive back into, and your instantly hooked again.

Beyond the Sword sounds interesting, I never picked up Warlords, but I assume Beyond the Sword will encompass this into it?

If anyone ever fancies a one city challenge dual, or wants to organise an ntsc-uk game, give me a pm :P

Comment

Originally posted by Zanza View Post
              Beyond the Sword sounds interesting, I never picked up Warlords, but I assume Beyond the Sword will encompass this into it?
              There is no offical confirmation, but traditionally newer Civ add-on disks have added also everything from earlier disks.

Comment

Strangely enough, I returned to this last week as well after months away from it. I had to reinstall it and despite Vista telling me it had incompatibility issues it works perfectly.

I got Warlords on release but never really noticed much difference to be honest, but then I have yet to play any of the new scenarios. I'll try and change that if/when I can tear myself away from LOTRO.

Comment

Originally posted by SteJay View Post
                  I got Warlords on release but never really noticed much difference to be honest, but then I have yet to play any of the new scenarios. I'll try and change that if/when I can tear myself away from LOTRO.
                  Yeah, Warlords isn't actually that big or great expansion. Few good scenarios, new leaders, two new wonders and new special building for each civ. Just remember to patch game before starting, as update really changes balance of game.

Comment

Outside the scenarios the thing I found most useful in Warlords were the, errr, warlords / great generals! Most useful if you use them right and are involved in military campaigns. They also make you terrified of losing certain units.

Beyond the Sword does indeed sound interesting - that After-thingie sounds very odd. Probably be a year or two till I'm playing it though as I'll have to wait for the Mac conversion.

Comment

Working...
                    X