Tony Hawks American Sk8land + WIFI hotspots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony Hawks American Sk8land + WIFI hotspots

First of all got this game today and my first port of call was the pub where i could play it online. Sadly even though my DS found the wifi connection in the pub it would not let me connect. The WIFI machine said i needed to pay for ANY wireless device in order to get the access code that i had to put into my DS.

So i don't know where people got the idea it was free from as you have to pay.

As for the game one word describes it .... EXCELLENT!

This is by far the best Tony Hawks game in a long time and it goes back to the core of the series, no driving aboyut in cars or bikes this is skateboard action at its finest.

The first thing you do is set up your own character, you choose the skin tone, hair style, clothes ect and then your ready to go into the first area Hollywood. You are given the options of Story mode, Classic mode, freeskate mode, and wifi Oh and the skateshop where you can create your own parks, characters and design custom tags ect.

The graphical style is very nice the game works very well cel shaded. As for the music well this shocked me. The game features full tracks from well known artists such as Green Day i think there is about 15 full tracks and you can fully customise them in a playlist of your choosing.

Now into the level design. I have only been playing the first two levels but so far the level design is flawless, great use of wires and grinds to get you to hidden areas and by the looks of things theres quite a few hidden areas in each level.

This time as well as being able to do combos you have some pre set touch combos which are very easy to pull off and should you bail a huge trick all is not lost as you get to play the touch bars mini game to try and save as much of your score as you can. This is done by trying to stop 3 moving bars as close to the top of the touch screen, the higher you get the more you score. The first couple of times you do this in a level its slow then it gets faster and faster each time you do it.

The game seams to have 7 areas but i am banking on 1 hidden one (at least).

You are also able to view a replay of your run and save it after if you choose to.

This game is huge i am guessing but i would say the 1 player has 25-30+ hours for the experenced player.
    This game brings back the glory days of the series (Tony Hawks 2+3).

The game is an easy 9/10 and if the developers live upto the promise of downloadable that could go as high as 9.5

Im off to play more i will post more impressions later.

Originally posted by The Mole
    First of all got this game today and my first port of call was the pub where i could play it online. Sadly even though my DS found the wifi connection in the pub it would not let me connect. The WIFI machine said i needed to pay for ANY wireless device in order to get the access code that i had to put into my DS.

So i don't know where people got the idea it was free from as you have to pay.
    Explain what you mean by "The Wi-Fi Machine said..."

Could be a case that the UK WiFi connection spots aren't being activated till the 25th - Official Launch day. The UK website isn't even live yet.

Other problems I've conjured up include the stats. Apparently in the states you connect your DS friend code and your "My Nintendo" account to build up stats on it. So how will importers get on?

Anyway sorry about that...back on topic!

Comment

Maybe its only the Nintendo made games that are free?

Comment

Thinking about picking up this tomorrow, although the nintendo UK Wifi site is up yet. Maybe you can register on Wifi .com or the official Sk8land site ?

Comment

there are places that have free wifi spots and there are places that charge to use them, the online aspect of the ds is free as you don't have to pay a subscription like xbox live, but you still need access to a wifi spot, weather you pay for it or not

going to try and trade some old xbox games in for this tomorrow, it looks pretty cool

Comment

The WIFI connection is built into the quiz machine in the pub i was in.

That is what i ment by the WIFI machine.

Comment

now why did you go and say it was like number 2, dammit im tempted now

Comment

Was the WiFi in your pub a BT Openzone or Cloud connection Mole? If not then it would be pay. And if so then I'd say try again next Friday/Saturday and you should have better luck.

Comment

It was a cloud connection.

i looked it up on the site before i went to get the game.

I am heading to a place with a BT connection today to try that out.

The game reminds me so much of Tony Hawks 2 to me this is the offical sequal, also if you ever played the PS1 version of Tony Hawks 2 you will be right at hime on the DS with the controls.

Last night i spent 2 hours yes 2 hours playing about with the board design feature, i also have some impressive scores that i want to upload to the net (when i can find a hot spot that does not cost ?8 to use).
                  Last edited by The Mole; 18-11-2005, 10:33.

Comment

Trust me Mole you will be able to use them for free once they actually launch the UK servers.

Comment

The free wifi from thecloud goes live on the 25th (according to thecloud support)
                      nintendowifi.co.uk goes live the same day (according to nintendo support)

For the stats tracking etc its done through american-sk8land.com
                      for all regions and doesnt require a nintendo.com login.
                      Last edited by pixie; 18-11-2005, 23:35.

Comment

I picked this up today as well, and it's really bloody good. Control is superb, the graphics are really impressive and there's loads to do in it. Not had a chance to go online yet, but there's a wifi hotspot in the office over the way from me and I can leech a connection off it

Comment

I am very impressed with it.

The reviews i have seen tend to focus on the fact the gameplay is stepping back in time likeits a bad thing. Personaly for me it is an improvement over the Underground games.

Was at Sunderland Uni today for a yu-gi-oh tournament and tried the wifi connection there. i got further than i did on The Cloud. I got to the stage where everything was set up and ready to go however my DS kept crashing when trying to get online.

Comment

I've not tried the actual online play yet, but the website stuff is really good. You can download board and Graffiti designs, as well as uploading your own for other people to use. You create an account on the site with the username and password it gives you in-game and it'll give you a personal page with all your scores and artwork and stuff, and it maintains high scores tables for all users, so you can see just how bad you are. They've also got in-game challenges that you can download, which they're apparently intending to update regularly. It's all really impressive given that it's the first online game on the system.

The wireless setup worked perfectly for me. It found my router automatically, and I just had to tap in the WEP key and that was it.

Comment

wow....the ds continues to amaze me. not only is it technically impressive but like most of you guys i love the fact that the gameplay is moving back to the originals. not had a chance to try the online yet

Comment

Working...
                              X