Snowboard Kids DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snowboard Kids DS

I guess in the midst of all the Mario Kart love, this might get snowed under (hah hah) and ignored. Pity. It's actually quite a good game, and a damn fine follow-up to the two N64 games.

It's also a bit harder too. Any other fans of the Snowboard Kids?

Anyhow, most of the previous lot are back. Linda has been replaced by her brother Brad, and Nancy has been changed from shy girl into prissy snob. On the other hand, Tommy is now the aggressive Bowser like bruiser on the slopes.

Whilst the slope sliding is pretty much identical (hold B to crouch/jump, R to fire, L to use item), in order to compensate for no analog control, holding Y down allows for tighter turning. It's intuitive and easy to use and should be no problem getting round the courses.

Except for getting crapped upon by the others of course

Shot use has been changed; instead of picking up shots like items on the course, there is now a trick bar to charge up by doing stuff and then you get shooting ability when it is at least 25% full. Each character has their own signature fire.

Multiplayer is really where this will be I figure. It allows single cart play for people who don't have it thankfully.

Bottom touch screen is used for progress map, certain situations (such as speeding up from a fall) or when you want to pull off a signature trick move.

Anyhow, if you can tear yourself away from MK, then check this out
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

I have one important question Mat.

When you get to the foot of the mountain is there a mad scrap to be the first on the ski-lift and back up to the top? I loved that feature in the original.

Comment

If you are close together, then yes, there generally can be

There are also ice blocks sometimes at the bottom so you have to avoid them too.

The microphone is used as well btw... one item fogs your screen (a la Blooper in MK) and you have to blow to clear. Another puts your racer to sleep and you have to shout in the microphone to wake him up

Comment

I'll be getting DS #2 for Chrimbo and this is top of my list with Sonic Rush, Mario Kart, Monkey Ball and AC.
        You could tell me it's ****e and I'd still buy it. I LOVE Snowboard Kids.

Comment

i never got around to buying the 2nd one as i never bothered with importing for my N64

but i loved the original.....thought it was hilarious

Comment

Can the microphone items be cleared any other way? I'm doing no shouting on the bus...

Comment

The blowing one isn't too bad. The shouting one will probably attract attention. Sadly I can't see any other way to do it bar the microphone, but the snoozy item hardly turns up so you won't get to shout much

Comment

but what about general speed?

any slowdown and such?

Comment

Everything is smooth and I haven't seen any frame dropping during racing. Graphics quality is about N64 level, though as pointed out, the character models are completely different.

Comment

I'm very interested in this. I loved both the N64 ones, finished the first one completely and did most of the 2nd one before something else distracted me (Zelda maybe). Even though some of the weapons were a bit unfair (the pan and the parachute for certain) they never felt unfair to the point of game-breaking (not "unfairly unfair" to recall a recently-invented phrase ). You could always get back into a good place if you were skillful enough. Snowboard Kids simply didn't have the cynicism of Mario Kart 64, and often felt more rewarding and fun for it.
                    Glad to hear the mad bundle for the ski lift has made it intact
                    Have they given it a better framerate than the N64 ones? I hope so.
                    What's multi like in practice? More intuitive than Mario Kart's stupidity?

Comment

Working...
                    X