Gripshift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gripshift

Well, lets start off by pointing out it's 20 pounds. To me that absolves a game of a lot of sins, but also normally sets off alarm bells. But not for this little beauty. Gripshift is quite simply one of the only games that truly demonstrates what the PSP can, and should be. It isn't a PS2 port for a start, the concept is also original. It's a spiritual heir to Stunt Car Racer in many ways, but is so much more. The loading screen (which compared to some PSP games you see refreshingly breifly) alludes to it being action, driving and puzzle rolled into one, and that's not far from the mark. It plays like a demented Super Monkey Ball, revelling in spatial puzzles and Mercury levels of finger dexterity. But backs this up with conventional game styles, and minigames.

It looks tremendous.

Little or no blur. Sharp, evocative graphics.

It sounds wonderful.

The title tune alone is worth a giggle.

It plays fantastically.

This is what the PSP needs, unique IP, built to fit the console. This is bite sized, portable gaming at it's best. Levels take seconds to play, and can be restarted in moments. Loading is minimal. Variety is paramount. Enjoyment is everything. And it's 20 pounds.

Ignore the complaints about handling, which is clearly rubbish (hello Gamespot - the handling is built to suit the game, not to feel like Mario Kart). This is a great reason to own a PSP, and you really have no excuse not to have this game.

Did I say it was 20 pounds RRP?

I rented this game the other week to give it a go, loved it, and made the purchase last week (not before making the mistake of purchasing Sonic Rush first, thank god for EB's 7 day return policy, that sucker went back the next morning). This game has removed GTA:LCS from my PSP as game of choice at the moment, no small feat for a self-confessed GTA fanboy such as myself.

It's just a pure fun game. I love that each map has three seperate goals which each require a different mindset. Getting all the stars often involves backtracking and doing the full track, and I've noticed it's starting to get to the point (I'm half way thru intermediate difficulty) that I don't have the time to just saunter around slowly. The medals require either breakneak speed and handling, or finding some tricky shortcut that doesn't necessarily involve keeping your wheels on the ground, and the extra credit symbol often involves all manner of fancy tricks and jumps.

Nearly every review I've read has commented on the handling, which is an absolute joke. I think that it's getting the point where reviewers/sites just don't have time for games that aren't based on existing licenses. The handling is excellent without making the game too easy (you aren't driving on rails) and the fun physics and awesome amount of control you have in the air makes for all sorts of jumping around the place. And you can get some quite impressive angles off the scenery as well if you time it right.

All the game is missing is a replay saving option. It's a terrible omission but I'll get over it. How else can I prove that I can do the teleport track without using a single teleport if I can only rarely get it right with a replay?
    Last edited by markgreyam; 13-12-2005, 02:38. Reason: cuase i caant tyep

Comment

But as this thread proves, we're almost alone in either owning it, or intending to own it.

PSP owners. Listen to me. I'm speaking to those among you who whinge that the PSP has no decent games out at the moment, or only features PS2 ports, or can't match the DS for pick up and play gaming.... yes you. The sort who's going to "sell my PSP cos I don't play it no more", the sort who quite openly writes that the PSP is "teh suXX0rs".

You.

Buy this game. Play this game. Then bask in the warm glow of 20 pounds spent on a PSP game devoid of blur, with loading times sent by the Angel Gabriel, and more fun crammed in than a naked toga party.

Buy. This. Game.

Comment

I brought this for my little brother for Christmas. From what I've seen it looks good but I'll make sure I have a quick go on it in between playing on the 360 sometime

Comment

I've read great things about it on another forum as well, but I have too much of a backlog of PSP games I want to get (and people say there aren't any...) and I'm still busy with GTA - maybe I should bump it up the list ...

Comment

Great little game. An absolute bargain for ?18.

One of the few games on the PSP which is actually centred around quick fix gaming, perfect for gaming on the go. It deserves to do really well but I just know it's going to be overlooked.

Comment

I bought this game a while back but just haven't got around to trying it yet. If the Stunt Car Racer comparisons I've seen around the net are accurate then I know it's going to be great fun. (Albeit the original Stunt Car Racer plays superbly through perfect emulation on a PSP Atari ST emulator, and is still fun to this day...)

BTW didn't one of the original developers of Wipeout (the first one) work on Gripshift? I recall hearing something of that too.

Comment

Hello there.. quick off topic question.. How have you found the PSP? Is it actually worth the purchase?

Comment

lol, you're asking the wrong forum, it's not cool to like the PSP around here (it's made by Sony)

Comment

Originally posted by Sega Ages
                    I bought this game a while back but just haven't got around to trying it yet. If the Stunt Car Racer comparisons I've seen around the net are accurate then I know it's going to be great fun.
                    It's much more of a Super Monkey Ball-style puzzler than a racer - the straight racing sections are some of the least fun parts of the game (mainly due to nasty handling).

This is well worth a purchase, considering you can get it for ?16-odd online. Take that, PSP ?39.99 "premium" RRPs!

Comment

Great to hear you guys are liking the game.

For those that want to learn more about the title, the official site is at http://www.gripshiftgame.com which has screens, info, trailers, and Track Editor tutorials (for those people dabbling with making their own levels).

Sega Ages - you are indeed correct. The producer and designer of GripShift, Andy Satterthwaite, was the producer and/or designer on titles such as Wipeout 2097, NGen Racing, and Colony Wars.

Comment

Originally posted by MarioW
                        Great to hear you guys are liking the game.

For those that want to learn more about the title, the official site is at http://www.gripshiftgame.com which has screens, info, trailers, and Track Editor tutorials (for those people dabbling with making their own levels).

Sega Ages - you are indeed correct. The producer and designer of GripShift, Andy Satterthwaite, was the producer and/or designer on titles such as Wipeout 2097, NGen Racing, and Colony Wars.
                        Blimey - did you have something to do with producing the game?

If so you, and the entire team deserve big kisses.

On the lips.

In fact, with tongues dammit.

Comment

Originally posted by cavalcade
                          Blimey - did you have something to do with producing the game?

If so you, and the entire team deserve big kisses.

On the lips.

In fact, with tongues dammit.
                          Yeah, I work for Sidhe and was the Executive Producer on the project (which means that I did little actual work). However, feel free to kiss the hardworking guys on the dev team

And a little word from the inside while I am here, we have a GripShift competition coming up soon to win some exclusive GripShift gear, so keep an eye out on the website for that. Brush up on your driving and level building skills in the mean time

Comment

I ordered my copy yesterday & then read Gamecentral's review this morning - 5/10. Anyway, I trust Edge's/Gamestm's/this forums opinions over them anyday.

Comment

Sidhe? As in Tir na Nog? That's pretty damn geeky if true, I salute you.

Comment

Working...
                              X