X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryu Ga Gotoku / Yakuza

Packaging art:

Some quick impressions of this spectacular game

In terms of structure it might bare some resemblance to Shenmue but Ryu Ga is actually underneath a very sophisticated and brutally satisfying fighting/action game. I haven't gotten much of the story due to my limited knowledge of Japanese and the kanji are as frequent as the punches!

There are a number of combinations available from the beginning which will send your foes onto the floors, the walls, windows and maybe even ceilings depending on the surroundings. Certain objects such as golf clubs, recycle bins etc. may be picked up used against your victims. I believe you can acquire new moves as you progress further into the game, as there is an option to level up your character once you've accumulated enough points/credits by being, to put it bluntly, a bad ass!

It's presented in 16:9 WS and Dolby Digital. Visually it is stunning, the streets are full of life and neon lights as far as the eye can see. The framerate is stable (30fps) and never fluctuates. Controls are responsive and intuitive.

Screenshots:

Buy it Links

Last edited by Combination; 10-09-2006, 15:34. Reason: box size

But how does it PLAY ?

Comment

average up to now, with me.

I'm about 1 hr into the game, and its just fight scene after fight scene, as you walk though the city streets.

Very average / boring gameplay as we speak.

I really hope there is more to this as i get further.

Comment

Sounds like what Spikeout should have been.

Interesting.

Comment

Nobody seems to be able to get this reinvigorated gamestyle right.

Bar Rockstar with Warriors that is.

Comment

The battle engine is superior to anything I've played. A VS screen kicks in along with apt music prior to fighting sequences. The button layout consists of punch, special, kick and grab - all of which can be combined in a number of ways to perform some devastating blows. In addition to that, your power gauge increases for every strike and eventually you'll have enough to perform a special attack, such as smacking people into walls, desks etc.

There is more to the game than just fighting. Gambling, shagging, mini-games and subquests are all there. A large part of the experience is the atmosphere which I fear may be lost if your Japanese skills are not up for it, as you might be missing out on what seems to be a pretty decent story.

BTW, is it customary for Japanese gangsters to bow and apologize after beating them up?
            Last edited by Combination; 11-01-2006, 18:43.

Comment

Is there still no change of an English language release? As I'm sorta holding out for one in case.

Comment

I've been playing this since it's release and is absolutely brilliant. The whole structure of the game is amazing BUT if you don't have any Japanese skills then it's going to seem as an average game at best. The game relies heavily on it's story. Having said that the combat is really fun and well implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
                  Is there still no change of an English language release? As I'm sorta holding out for one in case.
                  It's rumoured that a localisation is underway as we speak, at least for PAL regions. It may go Shenmue 2 stylee.

I've played the game for about an hour and a half and I'm really liking it. I can't read a word of Japanese and my understanding of the speech in the cutscenes is limited so I don't have a great understanding of the storyline. On that note, the cutscenes so far have been pretty nicely directed and convincing, if they end up being dubbed for the EU the game will lose a lot of charm imo. Subtitles please Sega!

Not understanding written Japanese will **** you though, in the first fight scene that is basically a mini-tutorial I spent ages trying to work out what one of the tasks was. Turns out it was simply pick up a part of the scenery and throw it at someone, I was throwing the people instead for ages until I realised it I can only imagine it getting worse as the game progresses too.

The fighting is sweet and extremely brutal, my preferred method of fighting is with my fists but the weapons so far have got some serious kick to them, I was just wacking someone with a bike a minute ago ^_^. The slam special is especially brutal as is the triple headbut. btw, is is just me, or when you hit someone with an uppercut do you hear the sound of a snapping neck?
                  As you get further into the game, can you unlock more combos and specials?

I do have a complaint regarding the fights though, the game seems to constantly outnumber you with enemies, and from what I've read it's like that for a lot of the game. This can be pretty damn irritating tbh

Does the game support progressive scan at all? If so, how do I enable it?

Part of me wants to stop playing and wait for a localisation as I will enjoy it a lot more if I can understand what's going on, but god knows how long it'll take for one to come out

Comment

re progressive scan, have you tried the usual holding X and triangle when the game is booting?

Comment

I've decided I can't hold out for a PAL release. I'm ordering this now.

Comment

Wise decision, if you're of the same brutal nature as some of us are, then you won't regret it!

Geezer,

Hit start and you'll find the upgrade section two or three options down.
                        Last edited by Combination; 22-01-2006, 23:13.

Comment

Did anyone finish this im thinking of buying a ps2 for the uk release (never thought i would ever buy another one) is it worth playing through ?

Comment

Yakuza (PS2)

Got this this morning and have had a 2 hour or so play. So far, I have to say I'm really, really loving this.

It's definitely not the Japanese GTA some people were expecting, but more like an action-adventure/RPG where you get into random battles at times in the street and are taken to an arena setting where you have to win to advance.

The fighting system is a little clunky and the lock on doesn't really work too well in the midst of a heated battle but it very satisfying. Square is your punch combp, triangle handles kicks and circle picks up weapons or grapples with an enemy.
                            L1 is block, R1 is lock on.

The story is interesting so far, and the English voiceacting, although I was dreading it, is actually quite good and keeps all the honourifics etc.

All in all fantastic so far for me

Comment

Can't wait for this, sounds superb. I am waiting on the PAL release though as I have too much to play at the moment as it is.

Let us know how it goes!

Comment

Working...
                              X