Bust a Move DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bust a Move DS

Been playing this for a couple of days now and thought i would post some impressions.

I have been a fan of the series since the days of the SNES/PS1 version however i never bought any of the next gen offerings.

After turning the game on i thought oh no a cheap games has been created here as the sound and graphics were below average. But i thought well Bust a Move has never been about the graphics so went into an endless game.

Now i don't like to brag but i have always been quite hot at the Bust a Move games, but i was dead within a minute and was quite lost to start with. This was not the game i knew and loved. Yes it had balloons that you shoot at a pile of other and try to create a set of three but now i had weird rainbow coloursed ones a flashing blue power bubble and i was a bit put off.

However after giving the game some more playtime on Saturday i am hooked. The DS version while its presented poorly is by far the best one.

Instead of controlling a cannon this time you have a sling shot that you aim useing the stylus and the touch screen. Also rather than just having one set of bubbles that you can shoot up into the playing field you have a choice of two that you can switch between at any time. Each game you start off with one flashing blue bubble that you can save and choose to use at any time, after its used you get normal bubbles from each side and if you want to switch at any time you just click that bubble to load the sling shot.

The game also has a new chaining system ( it was not in BAM3) when you drop bubbles off the playing field if they can be linked up they come back onto the playing field one by one to create groups of 3. So if i droped a load of red and blue and on the playing field i had a group of 2 red 2 blus tha twould be taken care of by the bubbles that have just been colapsed.

The standard endless mode is just that, its quite customisable and it saves your 1 high score. You can choose between the method cannon/slingshot, the ammount of coloured bubble and if you want special bubbles ect on/off.

As well as that you get a puzzle mode where the idea is to eliminate the puzzle as quick as you can, theres something like 250 puzzles and anothe r250 to unlock.

We also have VS computer. I would have liked this to have some sort of story like it has in the past games but you just choose the computer player and the amount of cpu players and your off.

In this mode when you create big chains or drops you get rewards in the form of gems. You can drag these gems onto any of your opponents playing fields (listed down the side of the screen) to add them a line of bubbles.

I am yet to try out the main multiplayer or the 1 cart mode so will have to post back.

The gameplay for the first time in the series has been advanced, and it is speeded up making it a lot more frantic.

Its just a shame that there is no story and the presentation is quite bad otherwise this would be the best puzzle game on the DS.

As it is with loads of playtime advanced gameplay (for the first time in the series) i would give it 7.5 rising that to 8.5 if you can get it for ?15 like me from blahdvd.

Cool, thanks for the impressions - have been toying with the idea of getting this for a while.

Not played a Puzzle Bobble since the first iteration on the Playstation, but thinking it could be good to play with my girlfriend wirelessly.

Be interested to hear what the wireless multiplayer is like when you get round to trying it out......

Also, what do you feel is the most comfortable/appropriate control method? D-pad or touchscreen? i.e. is the touchscreen method just a bit gimmicky, and you'll soon resort to D-pad or not?

Comment

I am loving the touch screen controls, it speeds up the gameplay no end.

The game has very solid gameplay (even with the touch screen controls), what lets it down is the poor presentation, graphics, sound and lack of a story mode. I would have also liked to have seen a high score board. the game only saves 1 high score and you can only see that in the game.

This game could have so easlity have been a solid 9.

Still no multiplayer impressions none of my mates are into it, but 500 puzzles and endless mode are wother the asking price alone.

I would not get ripped off i think it was only released in the US at $30.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mole
        I would not get ripped off i think it was only released in the US at $30.
        Hmmm... where did you order from, out of interest?

Comment

I got it from www.blahdvd.com

you get a ?2 off voucher e-mailed to you when you sign up for an account (to use on first order) bringing the game down to ?15.99 INC postage.

Comment

Working...
          X