Breath of Fire 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breath of Fire 3

There doesn't seem to be a thread on this (at least that's what the Search tells me). Recently released here in the UK on PSP, surprisingly before the US, this traditional RPG is and oldy but a goody (or should those be 'ie's?).

For those of you who haven't played the PS1 version, it's an old school RPG centred around a little boy/dragon named Ryu who is picked up by orphans and led into a life of crime before finding a higher purpose. It is very traditional, with random battles all over the place, spells, healing items and so on. If you've had a go at either of the first two Breath of Fires then you'll know what to expect although, in my opinion, BoF3 is a huge step forward for the series and doesn't feel anywhere near as dated as the first games.

The characters are nice little sprites on 3D backgrounds and it has a distinct charm that many of that era of RPGs have. On PSP, nothing seems to have been lost and the colours look great on the PSP screen - everything is vibrant and crystal clear. As usual, there is a bit of ghosting going on but it's not a fast game and shouldn't be a problem here.

If you like your RPGs, you've probably played the PS1 version and know what you're getting. If you haven't played that, I'd highly recommend this one. One of my favourite things about the GBA was having RPGs on the go and, although the PSP isn't a pocket-friendly as the GBA, I'm happy to see this continue on the new handhelds even if it brings criticism for being a 'port'. I very much hope we get BoF4 on the PSP too.

Anyone else playing this?

Edit: Something else I should mention - there are no loading screens and no major load times anywhere. However, there are some brief delays at times where it is clearly loading - when changing location, for example, the screen is black for a second or two before getting to the next location. That is no problem so far. Where it could become annoying is just before and just coming out of battle - there is a short pause of what is probably less than 2 seconds but, given the amount of battles, I could see that frustrating some people. I don't remember if it was similar on the PS1 version.
    Last edited by Dogg Thang; 15-02-2006, 07:00.

I've got this too. It was the game that got me into RPG's and I bought it to replay despite owning two copies of the PS1 version. It's OK atm (I'm only two hours in). It does seem a bit slow and the wait for battles to start is somewhat annoying. However it does have a lot of charm. It should get better.

Comment

Are there any changes to the game for anyone who has played PS1 version? My copy didn't arrive today but I've heard (granted, it was on gamefaqs) that it might be slightly harder than before? Can't wait to start this and do the Fairy village stuff and Fishing! :O

Comment

Really enjoying this one. It has captured me like good RPGs do - good characters / good story - i can see it being a memorable play thru.

I didn't play it on the PS1, but I find this title to be tough (in a good way), immediate enough to feel i've achieved something on my 1hr train commutes, and not overly complex (like some of these tactics games that melt my old brain).

True old skool rpging goodness. Minor point - I find the loading to be pretty bad - pauses between battles / areas are long and frequent enough to be noticeable. Once they're noticable, then they detract from the immersion.

Comment

Yeah agreed on the loading times. They are just a fraction longer than they'd get away with. To be honest I don't mind the location loading but when it has to pause to load the Eye Goo only for me to kill it in one hit, it can get a little frustrating.

Adam, so far I have noticed no changes so, if there are any, they are minor.

Comment

The only additions that I'm aware of are that once you start fishing you can access it from the title screen and you can also fish via game share.

Comment

Played for another hour and it looks like I'm going to need to spend some time levelling up... As save points seem sparce, you really need to crack the bosses on your 1st or 2nd go to prevent repeating large areas. Wasn't really figuring on having to do this as I like to level up with the story rather than wander. Worth it in this case though.

Comment

Anyone have any idea why this doesn't seem to be getting a US release?

Comment

I think it's to do with Sony Computer Entertainment America. They've been very strict with what games they'll allow to be released on the PS2 and my guess is that straight PS1 ports simply won't be passed for release regardless of the game in questions quality.

Comment

picked this up today and im loving it, im in portable rpg heaven.loading pauses are a pain but this isnt the sorta game your gonna play on the bus anyways.
                    in comparision to tales of eternia just released I found this to the be superior title by far.towns are actually quite large and itsa lot more user friendly.Also a key point being this actually has some story involved rather then a line or two...

Comment

Hmm question guys:

The loading is pretty long ya? Is there a way to increase the PSP clock speed to max on the currently inserted UMD game on a 2.0 PSP? And will that even make things better?

Comment

Is this any good?

I've sold all my JRPG's except FF7 so I dont have to get sidetracked as I'm not the biggest fan. However sometimes I like getting stuck in so I've been on the look out for a PSP JRPG and I've been reccomended this.

I presume it did not make the biggest impact, judging by this thread size but I've been told this is very good. Does anyone reccomened or is still playing this?

Comment

I'm a big fan. There are better RPG's out there, but this has bags of charm and an enageing storyline. Probably not for everyone, but definitely one of the better PSP RPG's.

Comment

Cool, cheers for the reccomendation Gossi.

Comment

Working...
                            X