No announcement yet.

New. Super Mario Bros DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Im planning to get the Japanese Version. Is there any reason Id have a problem? There's not much reading involved right?

Comment

there's next to zero text, besides "Do you want to save" as far as i remember

Comment

Originally posted by The Mole
        The two player mini game challenge is fantastic, tried it out today and have to say it may even be worth the ?20 on its own. great variety and fun... Also quite a few new games in there also.

Enjoyed the bomb reversi and the snowball fights the best
        Looks like I might have to find a way to get near other people with it to try it out then
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

The single player minigames are all just the same as the SM64 ones, aren't they?

I got this yesterday and I'm bailing through it. Got to world 8 in one evening's play. It's painfully easy but definitely enjoyable - I'm loving it. The art style is entirely inconsistent which bothers me a little but gameplay is great old school Mario. Control is exactly how I thought it would be (nice) and the sound is lovely.

Having played through the original SMB the night before I got this (the GBA NES Classics version), I'm loving how much refers to the original. Nintendo really do know the value of nostalgia. The only nostalgia thing not quite working for me is that there are one or two music tracks that start like classic tracks and then kick into something new - leaving me gagging for whatever the original tune was.

Comment

Played multiplayer yesterday. I DETEST Mario Vs Luigi. I just can't seem to click with it and it just feels a bit too random and messy to me. I would have preferred an update of the Mario Bros arcade game.

BUT the mini games on the other hand really come into their own in multiplayer. There's hours of fun right there and they're well worth buying the game for IMO.

Comment

What a fantastic game, the memories are flooding back, and the levels all seem to conform to the classic design rules. I instinctively know where hidden blocks are etc. It's great. I deliberately put it down once I got to world 1-3 because I want to pace myself and enjoy it.
              Last edited by tbm; 23-05-2006, 22:36. Reason: use shipping & arrivals for talking about deliveries, thanks.

Comment

The most challenging thing is trying to unlock world 3, i just can't

beat the world 2 boss as Mini Mario (yet)

BTW there is a few new single player minigames.
                Last edited by The Mole; 24-05-2006, 15:17.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mole
                  The most challenging thing is trying to unlock world 3, i just can't.. (snip).
                  You might want to PUT THAT IN SPOILER TAGS!!

And for a possible solution to your problem:

There's no need to be Mini Mario until the point that the boss actually dies. Therefore, having a Mini Mushroom in reserve allows you to kick his arse as Fire Mario, perform a quick switcheroo, and then claim your reward

Comment

Just arrived at hour ago. See when bowser burns to death after the first castle and turns into bones....

... Is it my imagination or did Nintendo games just get mean. That's cold man...

Comment

Finally thank god!!!

I stupidly went with Movietime with this game cuz it was only 20 quid. Really should use Tronix for games i want badly. Can't resist a bargin, but took a week and a half.

Anyway. the game is SO awesome i really, REALLY love it.
                      Mario feels bit odd a first. A bit more chunky and floaty than in previous games. Anyway don't know what else i can add that hasn't already been said, it really is a fantastic Mario game. A bit too easy mind, got the the end of world 3 one my first play of the game and didn't die very much. I was playing GBA SMB3 in anticipation and that game is a world of pain compared to NSMB but the new one is really excellent, level design is as good as it has ever been.

I REALLY don't like the art style. I didn't expect to dislike it as much as i do, i think the game is REALLY fugly, but the game plays SO good.

Comment

PSI put the spoiler tag but i don't think theres much point as after you finish the world 2 boss its dam obvoius what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevvy Metal
                          Finally thank god!!!

I stupidly went with Movietime with this game cuz it was only 20 quid. Really should use Tronix for games i want badly. Can't resist a bargin, but took a week and a half.
                          That's weird. First time I used Movietyme was to order this game on sunday morning had the game shipped out on monday and it arrived today. All for 20 quid. I guess it helped that I wasn't in any rush for the game so I was prepared to wait awhile and was pleasantly surprised when it came. First experience with them and I can't complain.

On to the game it self. It's just what I thought it'd be from reading impressions and such. It's been a while since I've played a proper 2d platformer so this really does bring back memories. Really enjoyed it so far, although there have been a few frustrating moments already, mainly due to my own crappy skills though.

Comment

"Finished" it today, with 73 lives lol!

Completed world 1 and nearly 2 fully...but I still have the 2 more hidden worlds to do, this game is fantastic...if exceptionally easy! May well try and 100% it as well since it's so easy to pick up and play!

Spoiler for anyone who's finished the game :

When I started back on world 1 and saw the mushroom house, I couldn't work out what it was for until I saw the "ancient" mario style picture... "OMFG!!!!1111" says I, thinking it unlocks the original Mario Bros game...then I realise...ooh whoopy, 20 star coins for a new wallpaper for the bottom screen! Is there anything else unlockable that anyone knows of?

Comment

finished the first two worlds with all coins and unlocked one hidden world so far.
                              the quality of this shines through it IS a little easy but so much love poured into it you can see it.

Utterly quality game is it up there with SMW and yoshi not sure but loving it so far

Comment

Jebus: Haha, I knew what it was but I was still loving it. Mario ftw

Although I know a few Mario demons that have beaten EVERYTHING already, for most gamers I think that unlocking and beating all the hidden and secret levels while collecting all the coins will take rather longer than just a few hours!

Edit: And I like this game more than I liked Yoshi's Island. It's up there with SMW and SM3 to me. I think that no such game now can have the impact those games had then; if this game had come out (with more primitive graphics obviously) in the late 80s or early 90s, I believe it'd have got the same sort of acclaim as the 'real 'classic Mario games did.
                                Last edited by Eps; 24-05-2006, 18:38.

Comment

Working...
                                X