Urban Chaos Riot Response (XBOX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urban Chaos Riot Response (XBOX)

Been meaning to pick this up, but with one game or another it was left until today.

The game is a action FPS with a modern setting, i'll give you a brief summary of it having played atleast half the game today.

I couldn't find a first play thread for this and i don't know if it has been given the wide berth! i'm sure the reviewers here would rip this to shreads, but it is actually quite fun.

Ok, i'll start with the controls, they do seem abit on the clunky side, i actually got used to them, but they do take a bit of getting used to, i haven't checked in options the sensitivity because for me they do work, but they're like i said on the clunky side.

After a brief FMV when you start the game, (which looks average) the first set of scenery/graphics that hit you look very average, considering what was seen with black not so long ago, this is lagging behind, more a less like your run of the mill ps2 game, it isn't hurtful on the eye i assure you but they're not top draw by any stretch of the imagination.

The gameplay! good, i honestly am finding it enjoyable, don't look for something to deep as you wont find it, but i have played this several hours today and i have enjoyed it, there are plenty of things to unlock as you go along, including your next mission and guns (these are just the things i have picked up from playing, i haven't read the instruction manual)

Weapon selection is nice, but there really isn't anything that strikes you as amazing, the standard shot gun comes with a 2 round, which of course isn't practical in heavy situations (there is a upgraded shot gun though with more rounds), you also have like a stun thing (sorry, like a cattle prod?) you can kind of electricute you enemy and supposedly they would be arrested after that, i did it a few times but decided i preferred to shoot things, also using this is a requirement to colllect medals, it also registers head shots as you play, this game is violent, and heads come clean off, sometimes it is hard to see this but if you walk past a dead body you can see they have no head!

Quite a few postives mentioned, but it isn't all good, if you are sensitive to foul language used repeatidly and die mason die repeatidly, be aware, there is plenty of re-used dialog often used, it is annoying, but i am finding because the action is fun, it kind of just blends in, but pay to much attention to it or if you can't help it, i feel you'll just turn it off.

Another thing is, and i'm not 100% sure if you have to do this to open next stage is, there will be a special boss (not in no way hard to kill) on certain levels, you are asked to use your stun gun/cattle prod thing! on him in order for him to be supposedly questioned, i often find that he just looks the same as the other baddies (which for the record, they all look the same, but i have a feeling they are supposed to) and if you kill him, it says something like you're not supposed to, so i restart rather than carry on as they are not automatically at the end of a stage) the problem arrises as you take enemies out from distance, although there is usually a warning.

Oh good thing, after the bout of FPS i have played recently, the trend of 100 bullets per kill has been bucked, and enemies actually die after a fair amount of bullets ploughed into them.

There is a sheild you pick up at the begining and it stays with you, you can shield bullets and you can also attack the others with it, another nice touch (which i think can be taken off) is slow down for certain kills you do, although even if left on it can be stopped with using action button.

Major bad thing, no flipping medi-paks, the only way you can get medication is from the medic, who is not always most convenietly placed, and you may find on later levels (like i have) that you reach a check point only to have little energy and not enough Ninja skill to complete the next stretch, of course leading to a re-start mission, the missions do get longer and they vary in length and setting, nothing dramitic, but is good.

You also get to order, firemen on certain levels, chop wood, open doors, put out flames, this can be glitchy at times, but it does work, another thing worth of notice is a lot of the earlier levels have a timer put on them, i've never been a fan of timers on most games, but i haven't died loads because of this.

The difficulty seems pretty straight forward on the medium setting (think it is veteran) of course can be cranked up or down to suit.

If you're looking for half life 2, stay away, if you're looking for mindless run and gun with a bit of stealth required on certain parts, this might float your boat, i nearly didn't write this as i know how easily this can be ripped apart, but if you're not looking for anything too deep, that isn't fully broken (which i don't think this is) i'd give this a rental for a few quid.
    Last edited by ShadowDancer; 30-05-2006, 23:12.

Well, i finished this game this evening, and i have came away quite contented and happy, i've not come away with a empty feeling upon completion of this atall.

It has taken approximately 7 hours (Tops) to finish and i beat it over two sessions quite easily, so i'll stick my neck on the line and say, if you like FPS and looking for abit of fun that doesn't take itself too seriously, pick this up.

Level design, mixed bag, there are quite a few timed levels which are finished, providing you don't mess up on a 5 minute timer, i hate timed runs usually but these are fairly straight forward and are not a big hinderance.

There are not many levels that would last more than 20 minutes, providing you don't die, and tbh the game on middle difficulty is easy, i died only a few times on the whole of the 17 stages.

Some missions are better than others (obv!) but there are a few nice ones scattered throughout the game, so i would advise a little perserverance should it not be floating your boat from the off

I do even have a little desire to play through some of it again, this can only be a good thing.

The medi situation i mentioned in my first post isn't as bad as it sounds now i've finished the game, my personal preference is to pick up packs, but what happens here does work.

So! you want a bit of a FPS blast over the weekend on your own? Urban Chaos might be the game you're looking for.

Comment

Pretty impressed by this, a nice presentation with real actors for level intros in news reports, and some nice physics. One complaint is it's not that easy to always see where you're getting hit from, but I love the integration of the riot shield, the slo-mo kills, and the plain viciousness of it. Some nice setpieces as well and it's fun commanding (on a basic level) the emergency services. I get the feeling they had a real blast making this as it's damn good fun to play.

I'd quite like to try the multiplayer on it as that could be quite interesting. I like the unlocks and bonus system, adds plenty for replayability, special bonus missions are quite good as well.

I actually quite liked the medic situation, I've not finished it yet but so far just when I thought I could not go on any further, a medic has turned up to give me a health boost. The enemies die fairly, ie a shot in the face downs them like a bitch, but I wish the heads wouldn't explode, just a nice load of blood spurt and maybe half a skull flying off wouldn't look out of place amongst the rest of it but that's a minor preference.

Comment

Yeh, i watched some of the news reports, it does add to it, like i said, I came away happy from this game, it's nice to hear someone else is enjoying it too

I think my only real problem from the game is the re-used and often chanted ingame dialog, but i found a lot of the time i was that immersed in the gameplay i didn't pay to much attention, Will definitely cherry pick some of the levels again.
        Last edited by ShadowDancer; 01-06-2006, 23:26.

Comment

Working...
        X