Virtua/Power Smash Tennis 3 - Arcade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtua/Power Smash Tennis 3 - Arcade

While in Singapore I got the chance to play PST3; I bought a data (IC) card to use with the machine too! The game plays slightly differently to the last interation with the players moving a bit more slowly and realistically i.e. you can't always retrieve shots aimed at the other side of the court! It also looks like you need to press the button for longer and earlier to get really powerful shots off, far more so than in previous versions.

FYI I noticed there is a VT3 machine in Funland in the Trocadero, in the section with the dodgems. There are card slots for the data card but I've not played on the machine yet so I don't know if they work; I also don't have the my japanese data card on me!
    Last edited by Answer42; 05-06-2006, 20:45.

Have Sega announced when the 360 version will be released yet?

Comment

It's listed as March 2007 on Gameplay. I don't know if that is an actual expected date or one plucked from thin air though.

Comment

March 2007? Let's hope it's plucked from thin air then.

Comment

Considering it has only just been released in the arcades worldwide I would expect at least 6 months before a home conversion i.e. a 2007 release.

Comment

Is the gameplay fluid though? Do you like the changes?

Is Virtua Tennis 3 compareable to Virtua Tennis 1 or 2?

Comment

Originally posted by mcarocks2003
              Is the gameplay fluid though? Do you like the changes?

Is Virtua Tennis 3 compareable to Virtua Tennis 1 or 2?
              It takes a little getting used to but it makes for a more realistic game. I think the feel is a bit different to VT1 and VT2. For me I think there is more of a change between VT2 to 3 than there was between VT1 and 2.

There is also now a VT3 in the Play2Win off Oxford Street near Tottenham Court Road Tube Station.

Comment

Is Power Smash Tennis the same game as Virtua Tennis 3 or is it the Namco version?

In any case , it is disheartening to read than in this new game you have to hold down the button even longer for power shots, it is one thing that really annoys me with current tennis games. Does it come at the expensive of deep gameplay?
                Also, are errors just as hard to pull off as in the previous games? It would be great if there was more of a risk element to stop players just holding down the button for as long as possible to hit it hard. But I guess this is an arcade game, the controls should should be simple to learn.
                Last edited by evert; 10-06-2006, 09:04.

Comment

The thing I always loved about VT was its rhythm and the fact that if you got an easy return you could take a big swing and rocket the thing to the back corner. Satisfying stuff. You don't need as many buttons as Top Spin when you've got that.

Comment

Originally posted by evert
                    Is Power Smash Tennis the same game as Virtua Tennis 3 or is it the Namco version?

In any case , it is disheartening to read than in this new game you have to hold down the button even longer for power shots, it is one thing that really annoys me with current tennis games. Does it come at the expensive of deep gameplay?
                    Also, are errors just as hard to pull off as in the previous games? It would be great if there was more of a risk element to stop players just holding down the button for as long as possible to hit it hard. But I guess this is an arcade game, the controls should should be simple to learn.
                    Power Smash is Virtua Tennis.

In VT2 it's not just about how long you hold the button down but also the height of the ball when you play the shot. If the ball is hit close to your feet, you can't blast the ball back even if you hold the button down for a long time. If the ball is short and your in position in time you can hit a powerful shot. Both elements are realistic and work very well especially when trying to close in at the net. I agree there should be a risk of hitting the ball out if you hold the button down too long though.

Id be suprised if there are more differences between VT2 and 3 then VT1 and 2. Everything changed between 1 and 2. Serves, groundtstrokes, volleys, lobs, movement and animation and a new shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoju
                      Id be suprised if there are more differences between VT2 and 3 then VT1 and 2. Everything changed between 1 and 2. Serves, groundtstrokes, volleys, lobs, movement and animation and a new shot.
                      In terms of animation and the variety, 3 builds on 2 but the feel is different and more realistic imho since in the previous versions you could end up endlessly volleying back and forth (less so in 2). Positioning and predicting is definitely more important in 3.

Holding down the button to generate a powerful shot only works if you are correctly positioned i.e. in those situations when a return is not very good and you are ready and waiting to hit winner. In this respect it makes the game for more realistic.

Comment

Anyone seen this in France or Spain yet?

Comment

Working...
                        X