Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phillai
    Just tried this just now...
    It's got on it Powerstone 2, 1943 (part of a Capcom compilation coming out) and Extreme Ghouls n Ghosts.
    Powerstone 2 is very disappointing as it seems to be running 30fps!
    1943 looks wrong as it's a vertical shooter on a widescreen. Although there are various stretching and tate modes too. It suffers from the crap d-pad though playing these sorta old school shooters. Also looks rather dated too - Not sure if I would play this ever again.
    Extreme Ghouls n Ghosts is fecking stunning and suits the widescreen greatly. Seems to have some minor RPG elements but not as it sounds. I wondered why the double jump wasn't there but as you progress it becomes available. There's some other stuff that I couldn't suss out like when you press the shoulder buttons it brings up a menu that makes you access some other stuff that you're got in your inventory. This might be problematic for you eager peeps wanting to import this game when it comes out in Japan. Music is familiar to those that know the original. Nice touches include changing to a smaller and larger version of Arthur, New Mario style. End of level 1 baddie is a daddy long legs monster which is nice. Only thing I didn't like was that when you jump it seems really far and the animation seems ropey (like 30fps). Not as nicely animated as when I last played the Ghosts + Goblins series. Not what I expect of a PSP to be doing but then again it's early days.
    if u run ur psp at 333mhz powerstone is a smooth 60fps, this doesnt seem to help g&g though, im guessing its 30fps locked

Comment

Is the PSP screen even capable of 60hz?

Comment

60hz? It's certainly capable of 60fps on the right games. More often than not, it doesn't come close though.

Comment

TFT's don't really run on the concept of 'Hz' (or rather, they refresh but not in the same manner), nowerdays it's more used in reference to the rendering rate/output/whatever of the hardware. But the machine certainly does 60fps, so I assume so.

Comment

Of course they do, Hz is the SI unit for frequency after all

I know all about screen refresh and frequency output, I just wasn't sure the PSP was actually capable of 60hz. I would have thought Sony could get away with 50hz and save themselves a bit of battery life. Can't find any of the tech specs for the PSP though.

Comment

This 30fps/60fps seems to be cropping up a bit too often now. My argument is if a PSP is a handheld PS2, why can't the movement bits look 60fps on Guitaroo Man as done in the PS2 version. The animation for Arthur on Extreme Ghouls n Ghosts looks well dodgy and it's slightly taking me backwards which is almost on par with collision detection on the Sinclair Spacktrum...

Comment

It doesn't help that the equvilent of 60fps on normal console/SDTV is 30fps on TFTs.

To have 60fps on a TFT would mean that the screen needs a response rate of 16ms, which is lower than the average on almost all TFT models, and definetly on small/portable TFT screens, which are closer to 50ms.

Comment

Originally posted by phillai
                  This 30fps/60fps seems to be cropping up a bit too often now. My argument is if a PSP is a handheld PS2, why can't the movement bits look 60fps on Guitaroo Man as done in the PS2 version. The animation for Arthur on Extreme Ghouls n Ghosts looks well dodgy and it's slightly taking me backwards which is almost on par with collision detection on the Sinclair Spacktrum...
                  I think it's supposed to look dodgy, it's in keeping with the original's few frames of animation. I think it would look weird to see Arthur smoothly animated

Comment

Since there are some RPG elements in GnG will there be a language problem with the Japanese/Asian version?

Comment

HHarm, I don't think it's anything too bad that you can't suss out mate.
                      Personally, now that I'm an older sorta gamer with less money and time, I would wait for US one...

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyWrench
                        I think it's supposed to look dodgy, it's in keeping with the original's few frames of animation. I think it would look weird to see Arthur smoothly animated
                        But at the end of the day it's really only a 2D game with fancy 3D backgrounds - The animation really should be spot on.

And if on the very same UMD disc is 1943 is animated properly then why not Extreme Ghouls n Ghosts?

Comment

Because 1943 has that many frames of animation in the original, it's emulated, not a remake. EGnG is supposed to be a homage to the originals, that's how many frames the originals used. I think it's kind of neat they kept it in line with the previous games, it doesn't impact the enjoyment of the game. In fact I can't say I even noticed the animation until it was mentioned here
                          Last edited by MonkeyWrench; 24-07-2006, 17:24.

Comment

Maybe, it's just me being extra fussy about games now. Let me try and give you an example of what I mean... The animation isn't smooth like the 1st genreration of DDR and Taiko no Tatsujin games as from the 2nd generation (all smooth 60fps). Now I know you can still play games with this lower level of animation but if you go back to the 1st you would be immediately be put off just by looking at it!

Comment

Well not with this one as they've always looked like that...there's nothing to compare it with

Comment

most psp games seem to run much smoother at 333mhz, gta, wipeout etc. its as if they were designed for that, then are just run at 222mhz

Comment

Working...
                                X